Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tonymgarner

Refresh Dried Boilies

Hi

I bought some self life's from a shop that sold them for use on their own lake. I don't fish there anymore and the boilies have gone hard.

Could I soak them in water? Can I also add a flavouring to the water? The boilies are fruit based, so could I complement with Scopex maybe or contradict with chilli spice?

How long is the max I can soak for before they're too soft or is it trial and error?

Depending on how much you have, I would suggest you use them as lose feed and just put them in as they are with a helping of whatever hook bait you have.

Could I soak them in water? Can I also add a flavouring to the water? The boilies are fruit based, so could I complement with Scopex maybe or contradict with chilli spice?

How long is the max I can soak for before they're too soft or is it trial and error?

Yes to the first sentance (all of them)

Yes:- trial and error.

I wouldn't soak them in water personally, shelf life's tend to be hard anyway. although they are a fruit based boile I would probably glug them with soy sauce.( plastic bag with boilies and Soy in ,shaken up until they were all fully coated)

I would not do them in water, a couple of good suggestions already.

Do you use particles ? Hemp juice is really good for hydrating boilies, other than that I would pick a liquid food to match the base of the boilie.

Do you know what the original boilies were based on fishmeal/birdfood  for fishmeal boilies Tuna L030 would be a good one or 1 of the krill hydroslates, bird/milk/nut there are things like Amino Blend

What sort of smells do you feel confident in ?

Rehydrating boilies is actually a core part of my thinking on boilies. I do not use any kind if preservative at all. Well salt and MSG. Neither do I add any liquid additives when making the boilie. I use egg powder and purified water with glycerine, brown sugar and honey. These are not only for sweetness and carbs, but also as food for bacteria when rehydrating. Oh yes - I also add a little bit of pineapple and papaya powder for the bromelain and enzymes.

I roll the boilies and dry for 24 hours. Then boil for 60 seconds. Then leave to dry on druing rack until rock hard. I read some leave up to 12 months in this dry state. I think the trick is the drying rack. I place them so no boilies touch each other.

Then put in net and hang from the roof until needed.

When dehydrating my aim is to get 30% moist back into the boilie. Using lake watet, washed out, etc can come into play here. The 30% moist is for bacteria and enzymes to become active and result in bioactive live boilie.The purpose is then to rely on the leakoff from the natural ingredients for attraction, feeding trigger.

And the bacteria culture I use remain active in the water - so it breaks down the boilies into nutriants in the water. Even the surrounding lake bed. Destroys toxic stuff and bad bacteria. Actually improves eco system.

Anyways, actually just trying to catch biggies with boilies - lol!

When dehydrating my aim is to get 30% moist back into the boilie. Using lake watet, washed out, etc can come into play here. The 30% moist is for bacteria and enzymes to become active and result in bioactive live boilie.The purpose is then to rely on the leakoff from the natural ingredients for attraction, feeding trigger.

And the bacteria culture I use remain active in the water - so it breaks down the boilies into nutriants in the water. Even the surrounding lake bed. Destroys toxic stuff and bad bacteria. Actually improves eco system.

Anyways, actually just trying to catch biggies with boilies - lol!

Rehydrate in lake/pond water with any flavours you like, for as long as they need to give the consistency you want.

If you soak them until they're as soft as you want them, you can then drain them and freeze them before your trip. Freezing will dehydrate them again a little, but the ice in the bag when you freeze the, will soak in again when you thaw them.

I'd only defrost rehydrated baits once though. :)