Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jonezy

Rotary Letter

134 posts in this topic

To be honest, I think most of those topics have been done to the death on the forums anyway. How about something a bit broader like how we think carp fishing will evolve over the next decade and whether or not we'll see a similar huge growth in other sectors of fishing? What with the otter problem along side other "predators", mainly of the human kind (whether that be killing fish or the desire to turn every lake into a commercial), diminishing the sport, I think It'd be rather interesting to see different people's take on the matter.

I'd like to add that I wouldn't like to start the first one, especially if it's on rigs as I only use about three.   :mrgreen:

That is a dangerous subject on all your mentioned fronts Jonezy, i am getting my tin hat ready.

nealjt likes this

Go on them steve, pick one of jonseys subjects and start us off. Post it in the carp fishing area and I will stickie it.

nealjt likes this

Love it! Yes much better subjects, although standard carpy would be interesting as has been said there is one heck of a lot of knowledge on here.

Nige i am going to take Neals sugestion and go off on my own tack as usual, here goes and it wont be controversial. When i was a little kid there were many legends of giant fish, huge Pike that ate ducks and the unfortunate chihuaha or Yorkshire teriier that was stupid enough to swim where the leviathon roamed. Stories of massive line snapping carp that were uncatchable, i beleived them as a kid and we pursued a massive Pike throughout the late sixties at Walkers Mill on the Nene, i would ride home from school and grab my rods, i had to catch this flamin fish, i struggled to set a clutch properly and bang my live bait float dipped away , a long fight ensued and i lost the beast after about 20 minutes, God, the tales that circulated the school the next day. Crowds of lads had a go , but only a few jacks appeared, but one day some weeks later i caught a roach that was rapidly taken by something much bigger, a small hook, i just held on for dear life. Landing net, didnt have one, my mate jumped into the shallow river and hauled the pike from its home, an amused angler came round and unhooked it for the fearfull excited children gathered around the dog killer, 15 pounds it went, hooked in the scissors with a sixteen hook, i was so proud, the beast had been captured and to prove it the live bait treble was still embedded in its lip. Now i have heard monster tales from mature anglers who were just as excited as those raw schoolboys all those years ago, Reg Smith was a master rod maker and all the members of the NSG, used to frequent this place, so many tales about massive Tench and legendary Billing giants, a story that still haunts me to this day, Bob Church, Bob Reynolds, Ray Clay, BB,Fred wagstaffe, and a horde of great fly anglers, Reg  Built rods for them all. They used to tell us kids the tales of giants and we listened with wonder, as a grown man in the early eighties, BB, gave a talk at Billing for the carp boys, the great and the good attended and some of the kids that new him from the local scene, of course it was about carp fishing, but he left us with a thought, he said he had seen bigger giants at Billing and Redmire than were ever caught, indeed in twenty years at the pool he never caught a single carp. So , the question that i ask you all is what are your local legends and have you ever busted one of those myths and are there any still going. All yours Nigel.

yonny likes this

Good read CM, I've actually not got any leviathan stories, my secret squirrel lake near me feels like a proper mythical lake, I don't think there is any unknown whoppers in there, although it did apparently throw up a 20+ pike donkeys years ago ! That mystery and excitement is a big part of my fishing now.

Nige / Jonesy how did the old rotary thread work? Was it an open thread that ran on the trust of others not posting unless requested? I'm now going to go check out the rotary letters post to get a better idea

Basically there was a chosen subject and the first person who is nominated contributes a post (of decent length) about the subject chosen. They then nominate another person to contribute and they post and so on. If the chosen person doesn't feel they can add anything fresh or of importance, they decline to contribute and nominate someone else. Anyone who posts that isn't nominated by the post before should find their post deleted from the thread.

I believe each subject lasted for roughly a month, the posters have no time limitation(within reason) and it's better for people to take their time as it results in better posts, at which point a new subject is chosen and a new rotary letter starts.

The one rule I would like to state would be that a person cannot nominate the same person twice, as this usually results in the same people always contributing.

I could always act as a mediator with regard to starting new letters and I'd be up for thinking of subjects each month and nominating the first person to contribute.

beanz likes this

Am just heading out the door, so will reply properly later, but jonezy if you are willing I think that'd be great. I would be willing to contribute but am wary as my knowledge and experience is limited

Given the unlimited time Neal , you could do the research, that is why i think an instant reply is the more beleivable option, although i must admit, i cheated, because somebody adapted one of my topics elsewhere and i liked the format, but it is a cracking subject, i would love a go at where carp fishing is going next, nearly went for that but feared the hate mail.

Why would anyone bother to go to the lengths of extended research to deceive people for no gain whatsoever? It's not a competition. Experienced or not, it doesn't matter at all and anyone who tells you that your opinion isn't valid because you don't have decades of experience isn't worth talking to. In fact, it's quite often the people who are new to something that end up revolutionizing it.

The instant reply is not practical, firstly for obvious time constraints some people have and secondly you tend to get more worthwhile information when people have time to think about what they want to write. It also tends to persuade people to be more structured and makes for a more enjoyable read.

With regard to the point you made about instant replies being more believable. I'd remark that would it actually matter if someone completely fabricated an entire essay for a reply, providing someone who read it gained something from it?

I'm not sure how I'd go about moderating this if people wanted me to as I'm not a moderator and am unsure whether a separate sub-forum could be created, for the purpose of a monthly rotary letter, and whether or not I could be granted moderator on that one forum alone.

chillfactor and nealjt like this

I vote jonezy for mod! [emoji4]

CM I'm in agreement with Jonezy, my only worry would be that me as a relatively inexperienced angler my writing wouldn't be interesting enough.

From me they'd always be an honest response. Unless I wanted to quote someone or get some evidence I wouldn't have a need to research as I'd be giving my opinion or experience on the given subject.

With all the ups and downs I think this forum and it's set up is great (which is why it is the only one I post on [emoji39] )

But I find the format can be a stunted way of communicating, threads go off on tangents or like a current thread can just become disagreements (although that can be captivating! )

For me I can't think quick enough to post my responses and things get lost when typing and I can end up not posting. For example I have tried all day to reply but get cut short, it has been at least 30 mins since I read Jonezys post and I have had to cut and copy it as my wife started talking and I was going to loose what I'd written [emoji37]

So I think a rotary letter would give allow for the named poster to give solid indepth and considered ideas. With out having to keep up with replies and such like.

carpmachine likes this

Did we not have a rig choice as well?? Not that is matters I'm sure we may have changed our opinions on all of the bottom three of Neal's list since....not even sure I can remember my responses too the ones I was nominated on...May have to have a recap!!

Yep I started it Beanzy . Maybe it was my writings but :) nobody seemed interested :wink:

Maybe resurrect it ? Seems as good a place to start and obviously MY thoughts haven't changed lol

beanz and nealjt like this

Tim would you like to re write it in a new post? I'll start the thread for you to post on. All the other chat and replies/thoughts can stay on this one, keeping the rotary thread clean.

nealjt likes this

If the Rotary Letter concept should be resurrected please include me out. When I feel the need to comment on a topic I'm glad to.

When I feel pressured to do so I wont.

Oh, and I'd like nothing better than to see Jonezy as a Moderator. He's sufficiently off the wall to bring a breath of fresh air to this forum. Thinking outside the box? He wouldn't recognise a box if one fell on him.......

Ian

No one should feel they have to ian. It would have to be the person who was nominated right to decline without having to explain why. I'm sure there would be a few more with your view on this and it's a standing point that I totally understand.

The old letters of around 6 years ago, maybe 7, did have some great content in them though. All from some very knowledgeable blokes who might not have shared what they did without that platform. Most don't post on here any more though, unfortunately.

nealjt likes this

If the Rotary Letter concept should be resurrected please include me out. When I feel the need to comment on a topic I'm glad to.

When I feel pressured to do so I wont.

Oh, and I'd like nothing better than to see Jonezy as a Moderator. He's sufficiently off the wall to bring a breath of fresh air to this forum. Thinking outside the box? He wouldn't recognise a box if one fell on him.......

Ian

Tend to agree with what you say , Ian but we need content.

I think it'll generate some decent content, especially if it can be as nige said to have a clear letter page and then this for thoughts and comments. New threads directly related to any specific subject of a letter could be generated to debate the contents. While also keeping a clear thread of indepth information. Definitely should be no pressure to write, I think they'll be a surprising amount of willing writers.