Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jonezy

Rotary Letter

134 posts in this topic

cheers cm another very helpful and interesting  thread ! would you care to expand a bit on the risks please ? is it just the soaking and softening of the bait or the fermentation process that posses the risks ?,im aware of the first ,but been away for ages and things have moved on a tadge :wink: ,if its the fermentation i would be a help 

If used in vast quantities as they were, they will dominate any water, the nutritional value is questionable and it would be undesirable for the fish to develope a fixation, plus the preperation, must be spot on, because of the risk of baits rehydrating inside the intestinal tract of a fish and blocking it.

gjc1 likes this

Hi Hutch

" I also picked out a question from another thread about carp being able to remember a taste/label of a bait, I personally believe they can, I think its a short term thing which is why you need to keep putting the same bait in, but they are no different to any other wild creature they will have preferences for what they like to eat and I think they achieve this by eating something and enjoy eating it, weather that’s the fact that the texture is good or it can eat it and digest it easily. "

Roughly how long is " short term " please ? .

Many thanks .

:wink:
Edited by crusian

Roughly how long is " short term " please ? .

How long is a piece of string  :)

It is hard to say as these were my thoughts rather than being based on actual scientific information (apart from the fact fish do have some form of short term memory), if you are developing your own bait then you are trying to create something with a distinct label that when the fish come across it they recognise as food straight away, so the more of the bait that they eat and enjoy eating (this bit will only happen if the bait profile is right), as for the short term hard to say but if your trickling bait on spots that are getting visited regular and baiting those spots once a week, I would guess that would enough to keep the memory topped up, there are also other hazards like bird life eating your bait before the fish get there etc...

The more they eat of a bait without being caught they will be more likely to drop there guard whilst grazing over your baited area  

This on generic fish memory, and there are various articles suggesting they can hold memories for up to 5 months

Individual carp captured by anglers have been shown to become less catchable thereafter.[11][12] This suggests that fish use their memory of negative experiences to associate capture with stress and therefore become less easy to catch.[13] This type of associative learning has also been shown in paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) which avoid places where they have experienced a single attack by a predator and continue to avoid for many months.[14]

But I don't see any reason why the reverse couldn't happen regarding something it classes as food.

I could also be completely wrong of course :lol:  :lol:  

Edited by hutch

A masterclass on Zigs  Nige would grab my interest as well as a lot of other guys, come on mate, nobody else wants to contribute and this is something i know naff all about.