Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adamkitson

Avoiding birds with black baits?

Quick specific question,

Has anyone got any direct personal experience of whether some of the black boilies live up to their claims of being harder for birds to get on?

Specifically swans, I'm going to be fishing a lake that I've been on previously and it is shallow, clear, and swan infested. If they get their heads down on your swim they will stay until they've done every single bait, then sit back and wait for you to bait up again. I don't really need any other ways of avoiding them ta, as I have a number of tactics in mind for avoiding them, one of which being a bait that is difficult for them to spot. Has anyone tried? Does it work?

I use Black snail in a lot of my fishing. The swans still find them. They just seem to know where the bait is, no matter what the colour. The only fool proof way of avoiding swans eating my baits is to fish water deep enough for them not to reach!

I use Black snail in a lot of my fishing. The swans still find them. They just seem to know where the bait is, no matter what the colour. The only fool proof way of avoiding swans eating my baits is to fish water deep enough for them not to reach!

Is that the essential baits snail Nige? They're the ones I'm looking at. Swans or not, are they any good? How soft are they? Good looking range of products with them. I'm hoping I can get some boilies to the carp at night and get small bags in the right spots past the birds during the day. Fishing out of their depth may be an option at times but can't be 100% relied on unfortunately.

They are the ones mate. I use them mixed in with either the B5, or as last year and probably this year, the Salami cream. They are awesome baits and come from an integral company!

I have tried them on their own in the margins at Horseshoe, to get round the exact problem you are having - it didn't work!!!!!! lol

I'm not sure how effective fishing black baits is, as all boilies pick up a 'skin' of air bubbles around them in the water, likely to make them visible to coots, swans and tufties. Those blighters will pick up everything between them!

Fish out of the reach of swans, deeper than their necks, but if carp feed on those spots it can be a pain.

As for tufties and coots, as said, I'm certain that black baits don't necessarily help.

I have tried Black Squid hookbaits, and they have still given me pickups from ducks.

If you do feel that dark hookbaits will work, you could try soaking your baits in Liquid Kelp, that acts as a darkener, and nutritional attractor :wink:

I have heard of people adding ingredients to give baits more weight to get them down to the deeper water faster, but like chill says you would need to match the colour of the bottom you are fishing over (very tricky in its self without going under the water as silt seems to have different colours ranging from light cream to black depending on your water) even then not sure it would stop them.

Ducks coots etc not a problem. It's the swans feeding on a baited spot and cleaning all the bait out, doing the rig over and over and not leaving till its gone.

Shallow lake. Deep enough to avoid them spots are few and far between, but I will go searching. Seeing the bait going in isn't the issue. I remember baiting up after dark once, and waking up just after first light to find 7 of them heads down.

May have to go sneaky and fish tiny amounts of bait, solid bags etc in swan hot spots, and save the heavy baiting for deeper spots. If I pre bait in small patches sporadically the bait should get recognised, then a solid bag would probably get a feeding response by a passing fish but not be enough food to attract all the swans.

When I was fishing Barnwell my mate lent me the forgotten chapters by (or complied) by Gaz fareham, as it had a chapter written by Jason Hayward about his pursuit of the Barnwell mirror....Where I was mainly fishing was 6-7 foot deep but the mirror ,when alive, had a favourite spot near an island which was much shallower. He writes about prepping and feeding loads of particle to feed off and distract the swans in other spots, as thet were wiping him out to start with. could be worth a shot?? blatantly feed them in daylight.

Rather than dark bait .... would it not be better to match the bottom of the lake colour instead, if you are trying to trick them visually.

I personally don't think it matters though if they see you putting it in there be on it !

They can smell/taste it even with out seeing it. IMO.

Yup! Especially coots. The amount of times I see coots paddling around a lake concentrating on nothing in particular until they get over a baited spot and just stop, pause, and then dive. They have to be getting scent from the water.

Yup! Especially coots. The amount of times I see coots paddling around a lake concentrating on nothing in particular until they get over a baited spot and just stop, pause, and then dive. They have to be getting scent from the water.

I agree entirely fella.

My syndi looks like gravy at the mo but last week the bird life was still finding my dark brown baits in 9 ft of water.

All the way through since November I have had more coot and tuftie action than fish action.

They have been finding baits in depths up to 15ft, over silt, gravel, undercuts, slopes and weedy areas.

I used to think that tufties would lead me to carp, but recently they have been following me, not the other way around.

I've tried light baits, dark baits, soaked boilies in Marine 17 and Seafood Takeaway liquid and they have still found them. The only good thing is I haven't had many crayfish problems with going back to meshed baits.

I've fished a lot of lakes with coots, tufties etc on, but I have, touch wood!, never had more then a freebie or two nicked by them, and never a hook bait picked up.

It's the swans that make me want to eBay my rods. They can do 5kg of boillies in 20 mins, and how do they pick up the hook bait first every time!?! At least it gives me confidence that out of all the baits out there, the hook bait stands out.

Either bait as it's getting dark or when it's dark.

Sadly that doesn't always work when tufties are about!

However baiting up with a throwing stick in that dusk or darkness does avoid bait robbing seagulls.

Unfortunately, as good as that sounds, they have been discontinued!

I didn't even know! I've used it for a couple of years not because of the avoiding swans factor but because it's a good bait and I've had good results. Think I've still got a couple of 1kg bags somewhere, will have to use them wisely now!

I dont know about black baits but i have found two coloured baits a mix of green and brown definately slowed them down. I think the broken outline of the baits not being one whole colour confused them.