Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hutch

Spotted Fin

So the Spotted Fin website is now live,  Seems a place to source a good variety of bait items and there seem to have under cut CC Moore buy 50p a kilo on most things.  The liquid foods I am not to sure about they look watered down to the naked eye.  :)

Mostly am left dissapointed. Was hoping for a uk version of feed stimulants.

Pretty much same as ccmoore but not as much choice :(

yes slightly cheaper when compared to ccmoore but not enough range for me to use them.

Ideally was hoping it would be a cross between ccmoore and feedstim

They don't even sell robin red! Would have thought they'd sort that.

I think RR is only aloud to be sold under license from Haiths (not sure on this though) and i don't care what Haiths say is not the product it was 10 years ago :cry: , I would imagine they have ruffled a few feathers big marketing and some of the products look like items they have had content analysis done from other products and there have taken this and created there own and the hydroslates look very watered down from the photo, all this is my opinion though.  There are some Feedstim products on there.  

Ok good points postage is pretty good especially for next day delivery.

I like the baroca cell yeast and beef liver powder come soon. Hutch as you said I assume these are both feedstim products ?

Good to see pea protein, but very surprised they don't stock pre digested fish meal (?)

baroca cell yeast and beef liver powder come soon.

They definitely sell both the first one is very popular on the continent and rumoured to be a key ingredient in a high profile bait that rhymes with bell.

There are a couple of things that are glaring omissions distributors of certain products may be harder to get accounts with than others

I imagine you are correct about ruffling feathers! I was hoping for an exciting look at new and uncommon ingredients but it's very much the same as what is already commonly available.

Black liquid betaine... Is that good or bad?

I've got to say the website is good, I like the magnification on the images.

I also like the ability of once registered you can create a wish list.

The statement of "human grade pharmaceutical" green lipped muscle does sound good :)

I am guessing the betaine is mixed with something but this is only based on the liquid betaine I have seen being clear, smelling it would give it away as betaine in its liquid form is pretty much odourless.  

They have certainly splashed out on the web work.

The statement of "human grade pharmaceutical" green lipped muscle does sound good

I thought the GLM used in fishing was a by product from the human grade stuff but I am sure someone will correct me on this, could be marketing trick that one as it says was going to be for the human food grade quote below

was to be used for human grade

I think RR is only aloud to be sold under license from Haiths (not sure on this though) and i don't care what Haiths say is not the product it was 10 years ago :cry: , I would imagine they have ruffled a few feathers big marketing and some of the products look like items they have had content analysis done from other products and there have taken this and created there own and the hydroslates look very watered down from the photo, all this is my opinion though. There are some Feedstim products on there.

Robin Red is a Haiths trademark and registered product, so can't be copied or the name used.

Betaine HCl is pretty soluble in liquids, so it could be added to pretty much anything, especially when heated.

Warm some kelp extract, pour in some Betaine, and Uncle Bob is your relation.

Could do the same with Molasses, CSL etc.

In the case of some of them, you could actually be creating the potential for enzyme activity, and explosive results...

In my case I wouldn't actually water any down, more mix with a low temperature or winterised oil, like peanut or grape seed.

That may mean that the liquids are thinner as the molasses (maybe) is mixed with oil or water to dilute it down.

So I'm still open minded about the new spotted fin, I emailed them about the dark coloured betaine and they said it was the purest available and that was it's natural colour.

Having done some googling I can only find one other company that sells a dark liquid betaine which is Ringers.

I'm not sure.... but can't believe it'd be dodgy molasses sold as betaine!?!

(From all of this if I do ever go down the route of liquid betaine I have decided that instead I would buy molasses and do as Nick said which is to add powdered betaine.)

Having made a shopping list like for like using spottedfin and Ccmoore the price difference was 26 pence

Edited by nealjt

Having made a shopping list like for like using spottedfin and Ccmoore the price difference was 26 pence due to having a 6% discount at Ccmoore. So it was interesting that although overall their products are marginally cheaper, there wasn't a major saving. 

Some of the ingredients I use are 50p cheaper but some they do not even sell so I would have to do 2 orders 1 with each company to make my mix so would incur 2 delivery fees which defeats the object.

I emailed them about the dark coloured betaine and they said it was the purest available and that was it's natural colour. 

Hmmm, not sure this would have been the answer you would have got from Mr Mitchell at CC Moore, there Liquid Betaine from what i can tell is betaine dissolved in a carrier liquid as Nick suggests most liquid betaines are betaine dissolved in another liquid, the only other company i know that does a dark betaine liquid is DNA and Im sure that is the powder dissolved in another liquid (Im pretty sure they have chemically analysing liquids from other companies).

But ultimately Ccmoore will always get me coming back as I love their milkimin pellets and Feedstim products!! 

The milkmen pellets are awesome but even the feedstim products are clever mixes rebadged  :wink:

Spotted Fins levels variant is where they win over CC Moore as you can try something without spending a fortune

Hutch, I feel sick having just read some bits on tinterweb! Nooooooo !  

Lets not confuse matters just because they are rebadged does not mean there are bad products, I use both feedstim products myself and to make something similar it would roll out around the same price.

Have a look at www.feedstim.com and then start to do a bit of research on oleoresins bait dont you just love it

I love feedstim.com they have some cool stuff on their, was kind of hoping spottedfin was going to be as different as they are.

However are you hinting at more secret unbranded goods?

Not really i like the feedstim site and dont think they can be bettered for the more unusual and quality ingrediants for a fishing site.This black betaine you mention interests me as i've never come accross a dark so called pure version. Oleoresins are interesting, to me robin red is so good due to an oleoresin content but i'm not so sure its the same product as it was. All i know is dont get chilli oleoresin near your eyes lol. I haven't looked at this new site you mention as i haven't done much carping this last couple of years but i will have a gander later.

Not really i like the feedstim site and dont think they can be bettered for the more unusual and quality ingrediants for a fishing site.This black betaine you mention interests me as i've never come accross a dark so called pure version. Oleoresins are interesting, to me robin red is so good due to an oleoresin content but i'm not so sure its the same product as it was. All i know is dont get chilli oleoresin near your eyes lol. I haven't looked at this new site you mention as i haven't done much carping this last couple of years but i will have a gander later.

For me most bait stuff is theory and not practice, but one thing that stays in my mind is a piece written by some American chap saying capsicum pepper smell/attractant travels very far in water

For me most bait stuff is theory and not practice, but one thing that stays in my mind is a piece written by some American chap saying capsicum pepper smell/attractant travels very far in water

turmeric is also excellent, i just mix it with breadcrumb and green betain for a groundbait or method mix, makes your fingers look like your on a hundred a day tho :lol: