Losing spods from breakoffs,

Hi im new here, Iv done some research on the net but im only half way there to what I need to know

Last year I broke off 1 spomb and 1 spod when it hits the line clip, I am using 20LB Braid

Is it a shock leader I need? Do I just tie this higher LB shock leader to the line at the business end? 

Edit: Sorry for posting on wrong forum section :( (good start)

Edited by Terrorbird

i dont get this need for braid and 50lb leaders when spodding :confused:

i am quite happy to spod away all day on my 3lb test curve warrior just using 15lb mono and a quik link and NEVER cracking off, if you know your mark why do you have to smash into the clip??

are you all saying that i have been doing it wrong all these years? cos if so i had better change my ways now,,,, oh and i suppose all those carp that i have caught spodding this way dont count any more :cry: :cry:

I use 30 lb braid with a 50 lb leader for the sole reason it will get me wherever I need to be from 20 yards to as far as I can possibly cast. Of course if you can reach your spot with your chosen set up then there's nothing wrong with it. 

Personally If I tried to cast a spod 100+ I would expect crack-off issues with 15 lb mono.

I use 30 lb braid with a 50 lb leader for the sole reason it will get me wherever I need to be from 20 yards to as far as I can possibly cast. Of course if you can reach your spot with your chosen set up then there's nothing wrong with it.

Personally If I tried to cast a spod 100+ I would expect crack-off issues with 15 lb mono.

Honestly if i found that i had to spod 100yds+ from my swim i would just walk round the lake [emoji57]

i dont get this need for braid and 50lb leaders when spodding :confused:

i am quite happy to spod away all day on my 3lb test curve warrior just using 15lb mono and a quik link and NEVER cracking off, if you know your mark why do you have to smash into the clip??

are you all saying that i have been doing it wrong all these years? cos if so i had better change my ways now,,,, oh and i suppose all those carp that i have caught spodding this way dont count any more :cry: :cry:

Most times I dont smash it into the clip, but I am rookie and sometimes I overcast. Im getting there tho!  8)

Most times I dont smash it into the clip, but I am rookie and sometimes I overcast. Im getting there tho!  8)

sorry TB my comment wasn't a dig at you, more an observation of the terminology used when referring to using clipped up line. in probably 90p/c of posts where clipping up is concerned someone invariably refers to 'smashing the clip' and it always leaves me wondering why you would want to abuse your kit like that as it must put some strain on your reel spool and seat at least, when you could just dip the rod tip as soon as the braking tension is felt IMO of course :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum.

I won't use braid on a spod or spomb rod, it's mono for me. The elasticity helps reduce crack-offs, I've not had one for years with the spod rod (watch that boast change it :o )

15lb Mono to a (currently 40lb grey Greased weasel) shockleader.

I have also had braid cut through the tip and butt ring on a spod rod, due to the constant tension on the retrieve, causing a groove in the ring, which did cause crack-offs.

I also like my fingers, and a miscast with braid can make a mess, cutting through to the bone.

The shockleader is tied on with an overhand knot in the leader, and a Uni knot on the mainline going through the loop, and then around the leader.

ok that pic that was posted.., the 4 turn blood knot is what I have used since I was a kid but I do it more like 6 turns! Will deffo try the palomar though, seems most popular with braid.

I wanted to use braid on my spod as I dont have a dedicated marker rod yet, and braid as a marker rod is obviously better. I just clip the line where the marker is, activate spod mode, add 5/0 yards to the clip and start spodding aiming at a tree in the distance etc

yes i know i have alot to learn  :mrgreen:

The Palomar knot is really easy to tie so a good one to learn for use in low light conditions or bad weather.

If you're not spodding too far you could just use your fishing rods for it and keep your marker rod/float in the water as a target.  Tie a loop in the end of your main line so you can quickly switch between the spod and a leader (loop to loop connection) with your rig on it. 

Just a thought regarding knots.

I was once told that the blood knot imparts a strangulation effect on the line and promotes failure under tension (hitting the clip hard is a sudden shock), both the grinner and palomar are far more line friendly and should be used on most occasions (especially hooks !!!!!)

Cheers

Ian

Just a thought regarding knots.

I was once told that the blood knot imparts a strangulation effect on the line and promotes failure under tension (hitting the clip hard is a sudden shock), both the grinner and palomar are far more line friendly and should be used on most occasions (especially hooks !!!!!)

Cheers

Ian

You are right ian    , never use a blood knot or other types of strangulation knot with braid.