Tight lines !!!!!!

snowmanstevo

When I went to France last year I just brought a load of back leads with me, clip it on once you've cast out and felt the lead down and tighten it up right to the backlead , the rest of the mainline stays pinned to the bottom of the lake :) bring loads though they come off sometimes when you have a fish on

Really, you haven't encountered weedy waters? Not even in your swing tipping days? Lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Experience doesn't count for much these days though .

Sounds like I need some of that time and determination that I've been lacking .

Er , lol

When I went to France last year I just brought a load of back leads with me, clip it on once you've cast out and felt the lead down and tighten it up right to the backlead , the rest of the mainline stays pinned to the bottom of the lake :) bring loads though they come off sometimes when you have a fish on

One year I tried backleading in the river to keep clear of the spring run-off debris that was constantly fouling my line, and when I did get a fish that extra lead swinging around at the capture was smacking it and I decided to abandon the tactic and just fish the margin.

Yes and all that bouncing around before the fish gets hooked gonna make him think that something is not as it should be. Heavier lead, BANG hooked.

I'm unsure how it could be bouncing if the fish isn't hooked in the first place???.....It's got to be hooked!!

I'm unsure how it could be bouncing if the fish isn't hooked in the first place???.....It's got to be hooked!!

Not necessarily. If the fish picks up the rig the line passes through the lead set up and disturbs a light lead but not enough to create resistance to hook the fish.

I believe the hook first takes hold when the bait is ejected after the fish has sensed the hook. Now its secondary,be that bolt effect or water pressure on a slack line That set it home fully, the weight of a running lead doesn't change how more or less the hook is set. once its taking line off the reel both set ups will either set home the hook further or risk pulling.

When fish use the lead to shake out the hook its because the hook is only semi set(ejection stage)

Steve , that's true of heavy running leads mate , say 2.5oz plus .

If you use light under 2oz runners the lead will bounce along the lakebed and set the hook .

Honest :)

Tim, i have up to yet only ever used leads from 1.75 to 2.75oz and i have never (to my knowledge) had a problem with the hook setting BUT!! i am never sure of the hook hold until i have turned the carp from its 1st run. that has always worked for me :wink:

I can't see how this will hook a fish easily. If a light lead is being dragged along the lake bed its not offering resistance at the business end. Far better using a heavier lead and a shocker bead to set the hook.

Mr hauler, if your hook is sharp enough and the hook is in the optimal place in the carps mouth then water pressure alone will set the hook,(imo) if a light lead is bounced along then every impact on the lake bed will set the hook deeper (imo) and as to the last bit of your post if you are using a shock bead to stop or slow the passage of line thru the lead then you are no longer using a running lead set up so all the parameters change, it then becomes a bolt or semi fixed lead. ANY part of the rig that is purposefully incorporated to offer resistance to the fish makes a semi fixed lead (imo)

you may notice the enthusiastic use of (imo) in this post, it is not intended to upset you in any way but i shall be using it from now on because apparently i only ever give rubbish advice, so take from it what you will :lol:

agreed, you need to strike, anything impeding the free running of the line is a bolt rig, reminds me when we used to set split shot 4 inches apart, dodgy rig these days but when i were a lad, hee, hee.

Yes mate you are technically quite correct and when I was finding my way into this game I would literally strike in such a way as I would in my angling educational period shall I say , when I was moving on from your standard float fishing into legering for silvers, Snotties etc .

But don't you think that Carp make it a completely different kettle ?

90% of bites are savage (imo , sorry Jon :)) , they are generally bigger than other species and the hooks we use are altogether tougher and sharper as is the hook length materials usually , making us lazy if you like , and the literal "strike" is no longer required though you need to be quick to the rod still .

But , and this is the clever bit , I listened read and heeded advice from members of this wonderful forum , many of which no longer frequent it but their scribblings still exist .

And it made my Carp fishing a lot more enjoyable as a result .

Just as a side note , who would have thought the pro's would nowadays be bolt rigging for Roach & Crucians ?

Sacrilege lol

Progress, gone backwards, a lot of carp do hook theirselves but at long range on a runner, i would make sure they had full contacted the hook.

At the range you are talking about I would probably be employing your son's shocker rig with tight uns anyway .

Chance would be a fine thing :)

Be a better idea but unless you are using a clip, which is pointless with a running rig how is the lead going to come off.

Why would I want to lose the lead ? Do you KNOW how much those things cost ?

Cheap enough from Leadshed or Carpy Chris but the POSTAGE ????? :)

Why would I want to lose the lead ? Do you KNOW how much those things cost ?

Cheap enough from Leadshed or Carpy Chris but the POSTAGE ????? :)

Didn't there used to be a fella drives around from lake to lake selling home-made leads out of his van? Had hair like Sonic the Hedgehog....

You boys that like your leads bouncing along the bottom tells me a lot about the venues you fish & the venues you haven't.

Still think it's just as likely to pop the hook out as set it .

If it hit something and bounced up higher than the fish what do you think could happen?

Good shout mate. You got to be dropping the lead mate.

You boys that like your leads bouncing along the bottom tells me a lot about the venues you fish & the venues you haven't.

Still think it's just as likely to pop the hook out as set it .

If it hit something and bounced up higher than the fish what do you think could happen?

I'v only got one lead,don,t be so harsh  :mrgreen:

I don't think light running leads bounce on the bottom while playing fish, I'm not even that sure heavier can. it will only be on the pick up.Once you lift the rod you lift the lead.

On a clip if it snags while you bringing the fish it wont free, you need the fish to pull away for it to drop. so a heavy lead on a clip set not to drop can bounce/drag the same.

So my conclusion is that doesn't make much difference what set up you use, until serious snags are involved, a little weed wont stop you landing with running rigs.

Beanz .... the way they are talking that's exactly what they think happens. Ie ..the lead is bouncing along the bottom as the fish screams off and this sets the hook .

Phil . There ain't no "they" mate it's me , just me , and I should have used the word bumping instead of bouncing .

It's something I nicked off of a Keith Moors post on here years ago and incorporated it into my own fishing at the time and it worked .

I think Keith explained why it worked at the time , I can't recall his scientific explanation at the time but it made sense and if a respected old school carper recommends it then that's good enough for me .