Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salokcinnodrog

Roach fishing.

I have had a mind to try to catch a big roach since a local reservoir started fishing well again, so yesterday and today were spent in contemplation of around 375acres.

I chose to fish one rod on a Locslide, plain float ledgering, firing in Sweetcorn and hemp in small balls of groundbait. The other was on a swim feeder.

Yesterday I stuck to that, using a block end feeder with red maggots on a size 14hook on the ledger rod, which produced a few bites, but no hittable indications, more likely small fish.

Today I eventually managed to get back in the same swim after an Eastern European family left (leaving their litter behind).

I stuck with the same float and feeder ideas, but on both fished groundbait with hemp, maggots and casters, so I did fish an open ended feeder.

A plug of red groundbait, a few red maggots and topped with groundbait.

Hookbait was 3 maggots or caster and maggot on a size 14 or 16.

Anyway, as it was getting dark on the feeder rod, I had a rattle, which produced a roach of maybe 4ozs. A couple of recasts later I had another strong take, which saw me have to turn the anti reverse off the reel.

Got it to the bank to see this

fb4200c9d783f9a15ac9c41ed0efedab_zpsulwd

be8785c9d4387d446ef0b82996710dff_zpshnm8

An absolutely beautiful fish, 1kilo as I read my scales initially, which converts to 2lbs and 2oz, when I reread them.

My face is a picture of shock and awe.

Please forgive no smile I was in shock, so much so I managed to leave summat behind

Cracking roach! Stunning! As satisfying as any 20 I bet.

More so!

I was chuckling, laughing, smiling and just totally amazed.

Weird set of circumstances, 2nd trip, 2nd day, 2nd fish of the day, weighing 2lb2oz.

I was dancing on the bank, literally.

More so!

I was chuckling, laughing, smiling and just totally amazed.

Weird set of circumstances, 2nd trip, 2nd day, 2nd fish of the day, weighing 2lb2oz.

I was dancing on the bank, literally.

Proper fishing . Congratulations Nick there's no feeling like it and for a change I know exactly how you feel and what was going through your mind as you played that fish in .

Top angling :wink:

Nicely done Nick. He came, he saw, he conquered! Mission complete from that little thought you had in your head.

I think a few more evening trips may be in order, try some other swims to see if there are any more 2lb fish about.

I heard that on the same day one of the bailiffs managed a 1.15 from another area of the reservoir. Even better it is only a 20 minute drive, and a short barrow to the swims.

I would like a few more of those type of fish!

Well another afternoon and evening having fun on the reservoir...

First fish today, I guess was just under a pound of English money, 3 red maggots on a size 16 and a groundbait feeder cast about 30metres.

1376c62fa789ecb15518db95af29ab9a_zps1wow

The second was a roach of maybe 2oz, gently returned.

Those two fish were both struck on small twitches of the indicator, the third bite however was a proper knock, and the result was a proper fish that scared the living day lights out of me as soon as I struck, when the fight gave it away...

That resulted in this, another 2lb roach at 2lb4oz, proper character.

5cbe7fa724d8515639152c80be54fcc1_zpsvzrh

Again, haven't been able to stop shaking, proper chuffed!

Word of the day, 'proper'. :wink:

I checked up the lifespan of roach, and their usual top range is 15 years, so these fish are fish that have spawned in the reservoir, probably from the stocking 1994 from Pitsford, although there were some roach in there before then, if cormorants had left any.

Also looking closely at the pics, I think from the scattered scales, some of the fish have started spawning, which may see a few mortalities.

The 'cheekmark' roach has been caught a total of 3 times, twice in one day, and then some time later to me. I call it cheekmark, as on the other side is a circular mark looking like a cigarette burn. I would be interested to see if there are any other fish with easily recognisable features, but catching the same fish...

I do have another trip planned for Sunday evening, and am thinking of a different area, I don't want to catch the same fish over and over again. In terms of roach with such a short lifespan, three or more captures in a year may be stress they can't handle!

I have also had two different 2's from adjacent swims, would I be pushing my luck to expect any more?

Pitsford Roach were stocked into Alton Reservoir in 1994, so the fish I have been catching are descendants, 1st or 2nd generation offspring.

I did fish another swim this week, and only managed two smaller roach, in ounces, but the weather was unkind, and casting distance was limited due to overhead trees, which being as I think the cold weather pushed the fish out further meant I was struggling. I did try block end feeder as well as ground-bait cage feeder, but couldn't get consistent distance or accuracy due to the trees when pushing it.

You think though, that Alton is around 375 acres, and on my four trips had two 2's, I reckon the average is pretty good.

As said though, the question is do I move to another area, or do I concentrate on an area until it's fished out.

Difficult choice, nice fishing, but those bites are difficult to hit.

Put a caster on the hook, in the same spot, and no matter no bite, go back to three maggots and a bite if you are on the money.

I have been enjoying the fishing, more 'honest' than carping. Uncrowded banks, I have only ever seen one other set of anglers on the bank, and that was the East Europeans.

There is a Facebook page devoted to the reservoir, so we are all pooling information between each other, over areas, baits, and indication, and I refuse to go off their work, although I am giving mine away, I think we all respect each other's work so it's not clicky.

Try a peice of a crushed boilie just hooked on and fished on a waggler rig over depth (if the bottom suits),and feed crushed boilie,it singles out the bigger roach youl probably have too wait a while for the bite but it will be a big roach when the float disappears,had a big one using this tactic at my local park lake last week I used manilla boilie soaked in Nash the key liquid food,give it a try.