Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stamfordchris

BAIT ADVICE PLEASE! IM A NEWBIE

ok.... new to carp fishing, always used to go for tench and bream but now ive decided im after carp and nothing else. its just a much better world of fishing. anyway, ive stocked up on fresh tackle, got some new rods and reels, tons of hooks and mono etc all kind of carp tackle for various occasions. now- my local lake which is basically a carp lake has a "no boilies" rule. boilies are probably the main choice of bait for chod rigs etc arent they? so if im not allowed to take boilies, what do people reccommend in terms of bait or even rigs. a zig rig with foam?? the lake in general isnt deep probably only up to 8ft or so in places

boilies are probably the main choice of bait for chod rigs etc arent they?

At good mate of mine has caught a lot of big fish using artificial baits on chods, foam or plastic so don't let the lack of using a pop up put you off using the rig .

Welcome to the forum 8)

What have you been using for the tench and bream ... it will work for the carp to  :wink:

You might want to look at hook bait choice, are nuts banned  :?: , look at something like arma mesh and making particle hookbaits, as for zigs its all about adding strings to your bow if a situation arises you can deploy something that get you that bite so definitely look at them as an option.  

Oh and welcome to the forum  8)

Edited by hutch

Alternatives to boilies for the chod rig.... 1) glugged cork ball

2) previously mentioned synthetic baits(plastic) corn in varying colours/ Dumbbells in varying colours and flavours/ foam

3) a combination of real corn and foam

All of the above should still give you the popped up effect for use on the chod.

Cm what's the presentation like on a combo and bag in weed? 

One of the best alternatives to fishing a chod provding the weed is not to deep (have a couple of friends that leave a little bit of air in the bag so it doesn't crack down to much) , also a soft boom stiff hinge is said to be better than a chod over weed by some. 

why fish over weed when you can fish the clearer spots using bottom baits? Particle will clear spots up pretty quick. Dont get caught up in the chod rig hype. There are plenty of presentations out there to use. I am a HUGE fan of multi rigs and wont use anything else unless I have to. 

Pop-up with artificial baits as mentioned previously, enterprise tackle have a huge range and the evolution angling artificials look to be doing the business for a lot of people. Fake maggots on a chod or stiff hinge seemed to account for a fair few fish over the winter period

Because on some waters you have no choice, and because EVERYONE fishes the clear spots.....it's good to be different [emoji14]

There is always a choice unless you are fishing in a field. Put your bait where the fish WANT to feed. Fishing over weed with chods blindly will probably result in a few fish. Finding the areas the fish feed in, preferably at the ignored parts of the lake, and giving them some grub will result in more fish over the course of a campaign. Obviously all of this depends on what sort of lake it is... 

My advice is to identify an angler you have faith in and arrange few session with him. Go through preperations together and learn at the session.

Edited by Ricky

I totally agree with you but I like to hAve options just in case, and I'm new to the water so very much still learning I'm sure it will all come together in the end

If you're fishing bags as a tactic, I've had good success with a multi - rig tied with rig maroles hydrolink and stripping out the fluoro inner between lead and loop for the hook. Goes in nicely with the supple braid and presents well.

I'm with greekskii on the multi - rig, I have absolute faith in it, most of the time fished as intended but will use in a bag as described.

ok.... new to carp fishing, always used to go for tench and bream but now ive decided im after carp and nothing else. its just a much better world of fishing. anyway, ive stocked up on fresh tackle, got some new rods and reels, tons of hooks and mono etc all kind of carp tackle for various occasions. now- my local lake which is basically a carp lake has a "no boilies" rule. boilies are probably the main choice of bait for chod rigs etc arent they? so if im not allowed to take boilies, what do people reccommend in terms of bait or even rigs. a zig rig with foam?? the lake in general isnt deep probably only up to 8ft or so in places

Much better world of fishing?

:lol:

I honestly think not :wink:

Seriously the past few years I have been moving away from carp fishing, and moving back to enjoying my fishing by fishing for other species; bream, pike, tench, roach and chub, and all are much more enjoyable than the current fashion of carp fishing.

Never forget, enjoy, and if it drives you mad, then you are too involved.

No boilie rule?

Darn good idea, learn to use other baits, and use them well. You are coming in with preconceptions, and will only confuse yourself, which you must get rid of immediately.

How many other baits do you want?

Sweetcorn, maize, tares, hemp, tiger nuts, maple peas, maggots, casters, luncheon meat.

Basically I could walk into an animal feed suppliers and come out with enough bait to keep me going for a year for £50, that is customer price, not trade price!

Bags of pigeon corn, pigeon conditioning seed, tic beans, the works.

All need a 24hour soak, then a 20minute boil pretty much.

Not forgetting dog biscuits for floater fishing.

Strangely enough, a local park lake I know well, a customer mentioned it to me yesterday, and I admitted catching a few fish from there. He bought a bag of Bakers Complete yesterday afternoon. This morning he came in after sneaking his first carp off the surface, happy. Dog biscuits

sniff! sniff! Hmmmm, :wink:

sweet corn

chick pea

new potato

peanuts :wink:

kidney beans

bread dough

bread flake

hemp

bird seed

almonds

maggots

worms

marshmallow

dog mixers

strawberrys

most berrys

liver

tuna

Er!! thats it, im dry :wink:

if you have an imagination, the lake is your oyster. OH! OH! THERE IS ANOTHER ONE :lol:

oyster

prawn

swan mussel

slugs

snail

oh i give up, you get the picture?

a strong word of warning, the baits with a nutty texture MUST and  i repeat MUST be prepared correctly or you risk causing harm to the fish :o

despite all the pee taking you may find CarpMachine is your man for advice on nuts :wink:

best o luck and tight lines bud

http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products.php?section=72&catalogue=1&product=2357

This stuff will help most baits stay on a hair, and be small fish proof, put a cork ball in with whatever bait you use and you'll have a pop up [emoji12]

If you are cheap like me just buy some nylon tights, cut to size and tie it off with dental floss.(lidl sell unflavoured floss for pennies) A 15mm ball of mushed sweetcorn and luncheon meat in some mesh is great.