Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
keeno86

uk bait companies?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new. Bait supplier. I've always used mainline or Nash. The style of fishing I use for my current lake uses all lot of bait. I've played with the idea of making my own bait but don't think I'm ready yet, I've used a company called the bait company, these gys offers very good bulk deals on popular brands, however when I tried these boilies they cracked when dried and didn't perform like the named brands they were imitating. I'm currently looking at 2 different companies and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. They are called "starmer baits" and "British baits". Or if you know of another good supplier id be thankful to know.

Dovii!!!

Starmer Baits from Essex, factory on Canvey Island.

I think at times they used to produce or roll baits for Nash Bait as well as their own.

I think they tend to produce mostly shelf life's, in advance of many other companies, and they tested many on Fishabil as Ian Starmer was running it while Raphael Faraggi was very ill. In fact Ian Starmer was sorting the bookings.

I did get some baits on test from Starmer years ago, in fact Carp.com was going to market them, but sadly we couldn't agree full terms.

I could give you lots of bait companies who will sort you out decent baits, Crafty Catcher, Solar, Cherry Carp (which I think are Solar Boilies but a shelf life only range), Nutrabaits or more.

These named are companies who I deal or dealt with and trust, but for me the stand out baits are Solar's Seafood Takeaway, Nutrabaits Trigga, or Crafty Catcher's King Prawn. I would happily take them anywhere, in the knowledge that whether a shelf life or freezer version, I will catch on either, and can use that bait long or short term.

As said, you will get loads of replies, but strangely enough of the two originals you mentioned you had used, if at all possible, those two bait companies, I would actually avoid!

I can +1 for cherry carp (formally solar carp info below) good guys to deal with and reasonable prices £5 a kilo and list the ingredients on the website and the boilies smell amazing and the texture is really good too

966805a0536e1adc2701731a6ab15fae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside to the above, solar carp do still exist (solar24-7) and looking at it they kept a certain part of the product range.... Including the seafood takeaway @£9.99 a kilo... It gets cheaper the more you buy though

As an aside to the above, solar carp do still exist (solar24-7) and looking at it they kept a certain part of the product range.... Including the seafood takeaway @£9.99 a kilo... It gets cheaper the more you buy though

Solar Carp were an aside from Solar Tackle (and bait).

Basically Solar Carp was set up so that anglers could buy tackle and bait directly at sensible prices rather than inflated prices that are sometimes on offer in tackle shops. Basically they were cutting out the price fixing or two selling prices, rrp and ssp.

Solar Carp then changed their name when Martin Locke left the company of Solar Carp. He did not leave Solar Tackle, which still exists as a tackle and bait brand.

I admit I have not given any smaller company a good try

I find I am confident on Dynamite baits, had good results on Sticky baits in the past but Dynamite shades it as I prefer the texture of their baits to Stickys, also Dynamite have always stuck to doing a bag for a nice round tenner

There are lots of quality baits out there mate

Bait is not the be all and end all mind

My advice is to pick one and stick with it, also use frozen 

Good luck

Edited by Bazmati

£10 for Dynamite Baits?

Have a word with your tackle shop, think the rrp on the shelf life's is around £6.50 for a kilo bag :wink:

Years ago I would have said frozen is the way to go, but shelf life's have definitely progressed to the stage I don't mind using either.

£10 for Dynamite Baits?

Have a word with your tackle shop, think the rrp on the shelf life's is around £6.50 for a kilo bag :wink:

Years ago I would have said frozen is the way to go, but shelf life's have definitely progressed to the stage I don't mind using either.

That's for the carptec surely mate?

Never, ever seen the premium ranges like Source, Red Amo or Crave etc. for less than a tenner

Is this a North/South thing!?

And I just don't trust shelf life, heard too many little tales

maybe it's a confidence thing but they're not for me mate

Edited by Bazmati

That's for the carptec surely mate?

Never, ever seen the premium ranges like Source, Red Amo or Crave etc. for less than a tenner

Is this a North/South thing!?

And I just don't trust shelf life, heard too many little tales

maybe it's a confidence thing but they're not for me mate

Krave was being cleared out of some shops at £7 a kilo, and the dip as low as £2.50.

The carptec range aren't bad either for £6.55 a kilo, in fact the quality is better than some higher profile names that do sell for around £12.

As I said, a few years ago I wouldn't have trusted shelf life's, but over the past few years I have been convinced otherwise. I have had the joy of being shown around a few bait firms and factories, and seen the bait making process from start to finish, and I can honestly say that many shelf life baits are now better than many freezer baits.

Solar's Seafood Takeaway, Club Chilli, Crafty Catcher's King Prawn, Nutrabaits Trigga, all are as good shelf life as frozen, from the baits I have used, and caught on. In fact it was Trigga that started me using shelf life's again, instant attraction and long term results, producing the first twenty from a local lake.

The Solar shelfie baits have produced numbers of 20lb fish from Brackens at Nazeing Meads, and I can guarantee that is not an easy venue, and the C/C produced fish for me when I ran out of my field test baits on a local water.

As an aside, Nash baits claim they have got the enzyme activity working in a shelf life bait (much of the attraction) with the 4G Key, which means the preservative used is likely not a Potassium based ingredient. If could be a case of being dipped in a glycerol and sugar dip after a long air drying to preserve them. This would likely give a waxy feel to the baits :wink:

I'm willing to say that if you speak to a number of bait company's, Quest, Crafty Catcher, Solar, Nutrabaits or Nash as examples they would give you the details about shelf life's being as good. I know Gary Bayes and Bill Cottam will state that they think shelf life's are as attractive and as viable long term as frozen. In fact Bill Cottam said in his book, it was bait going off on a long foreign session that made him think about producing a Shelf Life range, and with advances they have Trigga, Big Fish Mix suitable as long term baits.

Gary Bayes told me that no preservatives whatsoever are used in Nash shelflife mate so if I do use shelfies again it would be theirs. He said that the shelflifes are more tricky and expensive to produce than the frozen

But It is just a confidence thing I suppose, I love freezer baits. I break them down into little portions of thirty baits in little plastic bags and just grab one or two bags out of the deepfreeze for a session

simples

Edited by Bazmati

Krave was being cleared out of some shops at £7 a kilo, and the dip as low as £2.50.

The carptec range aren't bad either for £6.55 a kilo, in fact the quality is better than some higher profile names that do sell for around £12.

As I said, a few years ago I wouldn't have trusted shelf life's, but over the past few years I have been convinced otherwise. I have had the joy of being shown around a few bait firms and factories, and seen the bait making process from start to finish, and I can honestly say that many shelf life baits are now better than many freezer baits.

Solar's Seafood Takeaway, Club Chilli, Crafty Catcher's King Prawn, Nutrabaits Trigga, all are as good shelf life as frozen, from the baits I have used, and caught on. In fact it was Trigga that started me using shelf life's again, instant attraction and long term results, producing the first twenty from a local lake.

The Solar shelfie baits have produced numbers of 20lb fish from Brackens at Nazeing Meads, and I can guarantee that is not an easy venue, and the C/C produced fish for me when I ran out of my field test baits on a local water.

As an aside, Nash baits claim they have got the enzyme activity working in a shelf life bait (much of the attraction) with the 4G Key, which means the preservative used is likely not a Potassium based ingredient. If could be a case of being dipped in a glycerol and sugar dip after a long air drying to preserve them. This would likely give a waxy feel to the baits :wink:

I'm willing to say that if you speak to a number of bait company's, Quest, Crafty Catcher, Solar, Nutrabaits or Nash as examples they would give you the details about shelf life's being as good. I know Gary Bayes and Bill Cottam will state that they think shelf life's are as attractive and as viable long term as frozen. In fact Bill Cottam said in his book, it was bait going off on a long foreign session that made him think about producing a Shelf Life range, and with advances they have Trigga, Big Fish Mix suitable as long term baits.

You can add CC Moore's Odyssey xxx to that list Nick so I assume all their shelfies would be the same quality :wink:

Gary Bayes told me that no preservatives whatsoever are used in Nash shelflife

He said that the shelflifes are more tricky and expensive to produce than the frozen

According to a video on yt, he said that they air dry them [shelfies] for another day (or 2, I can't remember exactly).

I can attest to their life as the ones I've got are a few years old.

My advice would be to find your local bait firm and support them. Almost every town has one now, they are everywhere. Almost all of them offer at least one blinder of a bait.

Call them and ask to visit them. Ask about their bait and the thought process behind it, see it/smell it/feel it - any bait firm worth their salt will be happy to show off their product to you. You'll soon figure out if the bait's any good and whether they know what they're talking about or not. Then buy direct from the drying trays with no postage costs. You'll get a bait as good as any of the high street brands, it'll be cheaper, fresher, you'll know what's in it, it can be customised.... there really is no excuse to be buying mass produced bait at 10-15 quid a kilo any more.

You will find one or two rubbish suppliers but the market is now so saturated that those guys simply cannot last the distance. You make rubbish, your company goes under, simple as that (unless you're one of the big boys with a mahoosive marketing budget).

My recommended bait is made by Burton Bait Rollers Ltd - they do a bait called Gravity that is quite unlike anything I've ever used. It's a nut-meal, flavoured (very heavily) with cinnamon. I turned to them last year and on my first 2 sessions had 9 carp to mid 30's on a lake where it's not entirely unusual not to catch that in a year. I've been using it ever since. It just seems to work instantly, everywhere. Took it to France a couple of weeks ago and had the best session I've ever had. It's awesome stuff at a good price.

I very much agree with a lot of what Yonny has said, as I did have a very good relationship with a bait company mentioned earlier in the thread.

The baits that they released under their own label were actually very good, Smokey Mackeral, Smokey Bacon were the two I absolutely loved. In fact Smokey Mackeral caught fish first trip at Merrington, a lot of winter fish from Thwaite, and a heck of a lot of big fish from Brackens.

However as mentioned when it came to rolling other companies baits they were not quite as honest...

I do choose my baits with care, I usually want something slightly different from the standard, maybe an additional attractor or elevated levels of a nutritional attractor, be it Robin Red, GLM or maybe a slightly different taste.

Mainlines Essential Cell is almost definitely NOT the best bait on the market, and it certainly is NOT the best bait they have ever made, that honour goes to Grange CSL, which was a brilliant bait with a very nutritious attractor profile, producing big fish from UK and abroad.

In fact I believe it produced at the time, the biggest common ever caught in the World.

My advice would be to find your local bait firm and support them. Almost every town has one now, they are everywhere. Almost all of them offer at least one blinder of a bait.

Call them and ask to visit them. Ask about their bait and the thought process behind it, see it/smell it/feel it - any bait firm worth their salt will be happy to show off their product to you. You'll soon figure out if the bait's any good and whether they know what they're talking about or not. Then buy direct from the drying trays with no postage costs. You'll get a bait as good as any of the high street brands, it'll be cheaper, fresher, you'll know what's in it, it can be customised.... there really is no excuse to be buying mass produced bait at 10-15 quid a kilo any more.

You will find one or two rubbish suppliers but the market is now so saturated that those guys simply cannot last the distance. You make rubbish, your company goes under, simple as that (unless you're one of the big boys with a mahoosive marketing budget).

My recommended bait is made by Burton Bait Rollers Ltd - they do a bait called Gravity that is quite unlike anything I've ever used. It's a nut-meal, flavoured (very heavily) with cinnamon. I turned to them last year and on my first 2 sessions had 9 carp to mid 30's on a lake where it's not entirely unusual not to catch that in a year. I've been using it ever since. It just seems to work instantly, everywhere. Took it to France a couple of weeks ago and had the best session I've ever had. It's awesome stuff at a good price.