Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I've got a session booked for 2 weeks, with my luck they will be getting juiggy as I turn up

What part of the country are you in mate?.

My club always spawns early,like I said it's very shallow , and also mega silty and surrounded by concrete.

Edited by muftyboy

How big and deep is the lake?.

By the looks of the long term weather forecast the weather will be getting more unsettled in the next week or so, so I reckon you should be OK.

I reckon its a 5 acre lake, 8-10 foot at one end 2 foot at the oth. I'm going on 21st may Edited by Dovii

I reckon its a 5 acre lake, 8-10 foot at one end 2 foot at the oth. I'm going on 21st may

I'm probably wrong but I'd guess you will be fine.

It's only been warm for a few days and at night in that part of the world the nights will be a lot cooler than where I am.

Also the long term weather forecast is predicting cooler Temps and a fair bit of rain so if it's right you might just get em on a proper pre spawning feed and proper haul em out at there top weights.

Anyway I've had a beer and I'm waffling lol.

I hope I'm right

Edited by muftyboy

I've been told the that when spawning they take no notice of bait apparently so in ways a waste of time fishing? But mainly is it dangerous for the carp as stress levels are going to be high with out us anglers casting over their heads as a friend of mine fish a lake a few days ago and they saw a two dead fish wasn't sure if it could be due to . Spawning or wether there was a disease. As for the state of the fish all I know is that they were upside down

I've been told the that when spawning they take no notice of bait apparently so in ways a waste of time fishing? But mainly is it dangerous for the carp as stress levels are going to be high with out us anglers casting over their heads as a friend of mine fish a lake a few days ago and they saw a two dead fish wasn't sure if it could be due to . Spawning or wether there was a disease. As for the state of the fish all I know is that they were upside down

Fishing for carp during their Hanley pankey period is frowned upon in most parts and damned unsporting in my most humble of opinions :wink:

Fishing for carp during their Hanley pankey period is frowned upon in most parts and damned unsporting in my most humble of opinions :wink:

not nice to be chasing a bird down the street just to have your head yanked off with a ruddy great chunk of metal :lol:

You are right ,but as i turned up midday on the Saturday to be informed that they had started Friday i was hoping the would finish soon , which they did early evening on the Saturday , nothing during the night and a couple having a go Sunday morning.

Had i have turned up when it started or it started during the time i was their ,i would have left ,  i wouldnt realy want to catch spawning fish although i doubt you can as they are to pre occupied with what they are doing.

On a rough basis as temperature plays a huge part in spawning and every lakes starts at different times once started how long does the spawning take until their done doing their thing?

And why always in the margins I get that in shallower water your going to get the warmest water but won't they also be the first to drop in temperature aswell

They may not of been as me my self I didn't witness any signs in the margins but matey that I went fishing with reckons that they were pairing up ignoring the bait.

What would you say the common signs are that their spawning other than when go all crazy in the margins.

As when I last went fishing the first lake was packed and was had to get a take but later on went to a different bigger lake and caught 3 in two hours and they all put up a real fight and really didn't want to be handled I wasn't sure if it were due to spawning with none of them being commons I was a little shocked with the fight they put up

They may not of been as me my self I didn't witness any signs in the margins but matey that I went fishing with reckons that they were pairing up ignoring the bait.

What would you say the common signs are that their spawning other than when go all crazy in the margins.

As when I last went fishing the first lake was packed and was had to get a take but later on went to a different bigger lake and caught 3 in two hours and they all put up a real fight and really didn't want to be handled I wasn't sure if it were due to spawning with none of them being commons I was a little shocked with the fight they put up

Males have a tendency to group together in and around the spawning areas before they start.

Bream and tench usually start first, as an indigenous fish can spawn in lower temperatures than carp. Carp will actually move in to munch on bream and roach spawn and use the same spawning areas, so what can appear to be carp and tench spawning is actually them eating other species spawn, as this is probably more nutritious and easier to eat than your bait, it is quite likely that baits will be ignored totally.