Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

androoooo

Chicago - Lake Michigan

17 posts in this topic

I'm going to be travelling across America in June and will have a few days in Chicago.

Would anyone have any information on what licenses I may need as a non resident and areas that may be fished and potentially hold carp?

I'll be limited in terms of transport as will be travelling by train and won't have a car etc.

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be good.

Sounds an amazing trip mate Enjoy 8)

Can't help you with the fishing side of things obviously, but are you sure you have the correct apprenticeship to be doing it :wink:

Look forward to hearing all about it when we are next on the bank together 8)

Edited by chillfactor

Sounds an amazing trip mate Enjoy 8)

Can't help you with the fishing side of things obviously, but are you sure you have the correct apprenticeship to be doing it :wink:

Look forward to hearing all about it when we are next on the bank together 8)

We don't have long anywhere on the trip as we're travelling from NYC to San Fran with a few stops on the journey.

Been looking at a one day tour in Denver fly fishing.

Or sometime fishing in Chicago, either Lake Michigan for carp, I think it's where Carl and Alex went on their trip. Might have to see if through contacts I can get in contact to ask if nothing else comes up on here.

The other alternative when we're in Chicago is chartering a boat to go out after salmon and trout on the lake.

Would just like a sense of what's possible carp wise when we're there.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

chillfactor likes this

After chatting to Alan Blair at Horseshoe when we were both fishing the lake back end of last year & knowing you have had a charity day with him, I reckon he would be the one to ask maybe? ,If the Nash boys have been out there .

androoooo likes this

The man who used to run Wacker Baits and Tackle (their links aren't working but now are!  que miragle!) was a main Chicago connection in CAG at one time, I'd email the store and ask if he's still around and fishing.  Also check CAG Illinois board and register as a guest and tell them what you're doing.  That's probably your best bet for lining up a day's fishing at long range.   I know they fish in the harbour as well as the Chicago River.  Let us know how you make out.

chillfactor likes this

http://www.wackerbaits.com/sf/ The man who used to run this store was a main Chicago connection in CAG at one time, I'd email the store and ask if he's still around and fishing. Also check CAG Illinois board and register as a guest and tell them what you're doing. That's probably your best bet for lining up a day's fishing at long range. Let us know how you make out.

Cheers buzz I will get onto them tomorrow.

Androooo I saw the lack of action on that forum so phoned Wacker Baits and had a chat with the new owner, Munenori "Mike" Kajiwara. There are apparently several active groups of carpers in the area. He says he's glad to help and if you email him some details like when and where you'll be there he'll pass it on, said June was a good time and there was good feeder fishing in Lake Michigan on the harbour front as well as good river fishing. I'll pm you his email address and you can let him know your itinerary. If this works out it could be really good. [emoji3]  Here are some of the competitors from a past tournament: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/profile/3784-slimy/&do=content&type=forums_topic_post&page=16

Some are Chicagoans and some were representing other places.  Mr. Munenori and his team well represented, Wacker Baits is solid gold in my book now.

Fact for the day:  Lake Michigan is twice as big as Albania.

spr1985 likes this

Cheers buzz. I'm not 100% decided on carp or charter a boat and fish for Coho, potentially chinook and the trout in the lake. Depends what else there is to do in Chicago.

I'll still contact them, so I know what's what and can compare more readily. I'm sorely tempted to go after the salmon and catch them properly, not how I did with my Grandad in Ireland.

I'll be fine tackle wise as have a small carp setup that will fit in a case and rely on sweet corn or similar as bait.

You could do both, go salmon fishing one day and carping the next. Probably wouldn't have to take any tackle or bait in either case, charters provide that and these carpers would probably set you up with far better than you can or want to fly with.

http://www.wackerbaits.com/ A fish like that probably fights pretty hard.

I'm currently in Chicago, we had been trying to book a charter to go Salmon fishing but two weeks before we left, Rachel was told she would be made redundant, so we decided to stick to what we already had booked and didn't get to go fishing but thought I'd share what I found out from my limited time here.

We took a bike ride along the city line of lake michigan. It's around an 18 mile trip altogether.

The site that greets you is more like a sea.

cefc55e4d2aa84e196719a614e029c04.jpg

As we reached the north part of the city, there were a few marinas, I saw someone spinning, so went and had a look. Found a few carp patrolling the margins. The first thing that strikes you is how crystal clear the water is. I'd guess the depth was 15ft and you could see to the bottom. The marinas hold weed but nothing that would cause issues with presentation.

We cycled up to another marina and found a few big shoals of carp milling around on the surface in the 30 degree plus heat. Mainly singles to doubles but maybe a few that would go mid twenties.

045cbf065e0324d8736e64d10a4ba6e9.jpg

70817f0c3cf516283810f3f26983428f.jpg

I think they were definitely up for a mixer.

Saw a few others fishing for them but locals and the tactics were quite crude. Given what I was seeing I would have been using mixers or zigs but they seemed to be focusing on the bottom with a float and ledgering.

Certainly if you ever find yourself in Chicago the marinas would be worth a look. I'm sure there's probably much better areas and they weren't hard to find with the water clarity.

chillfactor and sharpy86 like this

Should have also probably added this photo.

8bb893ad550608a4404308dde35a1267.jpg

All the water photos are taken on a normal camera phone, no polarising filters or lenses placed over, so you can get a feel for just how clear the water clarity is.

Edited by androoooo
chillfactor and sharpy86 like this

Cheers Phil, I'm sure she'll find another job but obviously need to be sensible until it's sorted.

We've really enjoyed the trip and would do something similar again on a different route, probably not next year but the year after. Quite a few start or end in Chicago depending which was you go, so I know for next time a place to start. Considering its 3.5 million acres, they were relatively easy to find.

I was half tempted to try to buy some bread and ask some locals if I could borrow a rod for 30 minutes. There were 5 of them fishing a long a narrow platform and it would have been chaotic getting past them, so decided it best to leave it.

chillfactor likes this