Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
keeno86

He aint heavy....................

he`s my brother..................

some of you may have seen wheelers introduction thread. My baby brother has got into carp fishing. The little runt has only done a handful of 48 hour sessions, but on his first at a lake ive spent 5 years of my life trying to smash he cast his first rod out and before he had time to set up his second pulled out a 27lb 8oz mmirror, a fish 8oz heavier than anything id pulled out in my many sessions at this lake. As you can probably imagine his attitude has somewhat changes since that capture, now I get daily abuse and constant bants about his pb. I had a gap of well over a year from fishing, had my first session back at this lake a few weeks ago. This weekend will be my second and also my first fishing with my little bro. So its time to get the big guns out and try shut him up for a bit.

Ill admit im more than a little worried, on my last trip I lost a fish and managed a 13lb catfish, something wheeler is very quick to remind me doesn't count, means that I actually blanked. The lake isnt the easiest water out there, wheelers dad is hopefully coming to the end of a year long blank there, and the guy knows this lake and his fishing, also another mate has blanked a few times leading up to this trip, yet young wheeler is the only one to manage a couple of carp in this period. Is this down to beginners luck........id like to think so, but to give wheeler some credit, for a youngster he really does put a lot of time and thought into his fishing. But his big bro is back and on a mission to salvage some pride and earn some bragging rights.

I leave it there for now and let danny fairbrass jr........i mean wheeler have his say. Tomorrow is the the big day!

Well Big Brother, it seems to me that 8 ounces is quite alot when it comes to weight in fish, but i am impressed that you had some time out of fishing and came back and caught a CAT but a fish is a fish aye, We will just have to wait and see what happens, hopefully after this fishing trip we will still be family...

Well Big Brother, it seems to me that 8 ounces is quite alot when it comes to weight in fish, but i am impressed that you had some time out of fishing and came back and caught a CAT but a fish is a fish aye, We will just have to wait and see what happens, hopefully after this fishing trip we will still be family...

We will be family......you may be missing a tooth or two but still family.

Took my brother in law fishing a few years back. Just a few hours with my rods to a runs lake. I hit the first few runs to show him the process. Nice few upper singles. Next run I let him get, it was a 19lb common. Biggest fish I'd ever seen from that lake!

He loved it though and still fishes on and off now, so I was happy for him. Still, should have been mine! :D

rigs are all tied, bags are packed. ready to rock n roll!

my jag sharpening kit turnt up yesterday. i had the gardner £6 jobby on my last trip and was suprised what that did, this jag one in the business. i can defo see what people are talking about when they say hooks arnt sharp out of a packet now. after playing with it for a bit and doing the nail test the hooks dont just grip the nail better they are nearly slicing through it. think this will improve my catch rate.

well well well................

that was a experience. young wheeler destroyed the place and in the process caused me and his dad to consider a long piece of rope and a short drop.

wheeler had 12 or 13 fish, i lost count, really worked his swim a it paid of massively. he had fish up to 17/18lb, im sure he will be along shortly with more accurate weights and numbers and to rub my nose in it. the session wasnt a disaster for me or his dad though, i had 4 carp and 1 cat and wheelers dad broke a year long blank with 2 fish and the largest of the weekend at 22lb. this lake can be a tricky customer so to be fair we all done well, but wheeler takes the crown for what i can only call a session of a lifetime on a lake that has tested so many people. There were a few laughs mostly at my suffering but ill let wheeler fill you in on them.

i also got to test a few new items of kit both catching fish and on the bank. Ill do a brief review on some below.

Carpzone lake lounger plus bed chair:

this bed was amazing. One of the most beds I have ever slept in, better than my bed at home. This is another outstanding low cost product from carpzone that delivers. Is huge, id only recommened this bed for guys with a 2 man bivvy. It is the same size and spec as the nash wideboy bed at half the price. I can fault the build quality on it, sturdy and strong, im a big guy but this thing didnt tilt or move at all when I jumped out of it on a screaming take. Highly recommend!

Nash frostbite sub 20 wide boy bag:

while the true test of this bag will obviously be a winter night as the bag is apparently the warmest on the market, it has 2 upper layers, I removed the top layer as this was virtually a summer trip. Im seriously impressed with this bag, its huge, very comfortable. The fleece inside is the softest ive had and the peach skin material on top is perfect for laying on top of on a warmer day. Its has anchor points on the top and bottom on the bag and a full length strap in the middle so this bag will not move from the bed, it almost becomes one with the bed chair.

Fox halo ht 100 sensor head torch:

what a piece of kit. At around £25 its not the cheapest out there but it ooozes quality. It has an adjustable zoom focus for your main lin, the lens is the type found on the lenser torches so its beam goes a very long way. The other neat feature I loved about this head torch is that it has a sensor, it works in the same way as a back yard sensor light. So if your laying in bed in the middle of the night and you jump up for a take the head torch will sense the movement and turn on automatically, no more frantic searching for a light in the middle of the nigh. Highly recommend!

Jag hook sharpening kit:

this is an impressive bit of kit. Im not one of them guys who are going to say hooks are not sharp out of the packet, but the level of sharpness you can achieve with this product is astonishing. Not only can you sharpen hooks before your trip to use but I also found myself sharpening rigs up that had been out in the lake for a few hours, easy to use and devastatingly sharp, this was especially handy on my zigs as they can be a nightmare to re tie if your not happy with the sharpness of the hook. Also I will never throw away another hook, ill always use new hooks for my rigs but having this bit of kit means you dont have to.

Korda kog lead system:

these have mixed reviews all over the internet. I went for the 4 and 5oz versions, yes that is a bit over the top but in my head if the whole point of this system is for the fish to instantly feel the weight of the lead, then imo the heavier the better. The system looks clumsy but not once did I have a tangle and I was constantly recasting and hitting the clip. As for the system working, every fish I had was nailed, and the lead ejected on every fish the minute it run. Im sold on these, they will become my main system for 90% of my fishing.

Distance sticks:

I had these on my last trip but didnt use them, the lake we fish isnt huge so I didnt feel the need for them. But I had a go on this trip and I can honestly say I dont think me or wheelers dad would have the fish we did without them. Being able to map out a swim is one benefit. But the accuracy in which you can fish using these is amazing. Normally if I land within a few feet of where Im aiming im happy, not anymore. I was landing my gear on the same lilly pad leaf for most of my trip. Obviously this can be achieved by flicking a lead out and clipping up, but as we all know after a fish walking line out in the middle of the night can be a nightmare. These change that, they can be set up behind your bivvy and even if you are fishing at over 100 yards all you need is 12 foot to clip up. And a massive plus is being able to record spots so on your next visit to the same lake you dont need to crash a lead about, its all written down and one cast after using the distance sticks and you on the money. Of all of my new kit these will defo be changing my fishing for the better.

i should also add that i tried the korda chod safe system and had a few problems, the system worked the way its designed but when using anything above 2.5oz leads the plastic hook snapped, twice. and my delkim rx pro reciever failed to register 2 runs while i was standing less than 20 meters from my txi alarms. i have owned delkim alarms before and never had a problem, ive sent the reciever back to delkim and will update with how it goes.

before you edited that post you stated that its an offence to stand more than 3 meters from your rods, if thats the case we can all save money as we obviously dont need receivers, and a few lakes ive been to should be shut down as not all their swims allow a bivvy to be set up within 3 meters :wink:   

I was confusing with the 3m between rods:

'You must make sure that the distance between the butts of the outermost rods isn't more than 3 meters when fishing multiple rods and line'

Is that a Bream ? Nice fish if so .

My eyes ain't so good lol

lol, no its a baby carp, i know most would have put him straight back but ive had a long break and that was my first carp in 2 years! i had a small cat on the trip a few weeks before this but this was the first session after that long break that produced any carp. i was over the moon lol.

i should also add that i tried the korda chod safe system and had a few problems, the system worked the way its designed but when using anything above 2.5oz leads the plastic hook snapped, twice. and my delkim rx pro reciever failed to register 2 runs while i was standing less than 20 meters from my txi alarms. i have owned delkim alarms before and never had a problem, ive sent the reciever back to delkim and will update with how it goes.

update, delkim sorted it out. i sent the receiver back with an explanation as to what happened, within 10 days i got brand new one sent back, top customer service, very impressed.