Tench fishing

salokcinnodrog

The magic of tench fishing has me thinking again about past rewards and making the dream come true.

The good thing with tench fishing is that it is pretty much scaled down carp fishing, although the magic of watching a float on a misty summer morning is always good.

I managed a day out this week, and caught my first intended tench for a lot of years, strangely enough, as I said on scaled down carp tackle.

A multi rig with an 8mm pop-up on its own accounted for a 4lb8oz male tench this week.

I had to get the scales out as my estimation on other species is well out. I looked and reckoned on 3lb to start with, but decided to weigh it to be sure. Very happy when the scales went to 4lb plus.

The ground baited area with Sweetcorn as bait stayed untouched which was a bit of a surprise. Think this lake will be worth some time on my short sessions as it has produced some double figure tench and bream in the past

Was never scaled down carp fishing when I was a whippersnapper Nick :)

The Chase was well known for its Tench & Crucians in those day lol notoriously difficult to catch and it just HAD to be the quill float lift method style on the edge of the lillies .

The 6lber I managed is probably pound for pound my greatest angling achievement to date considering the record was only 9lb+ at the time.

Was well proud of myself I can tell you . I nabbed a Roach of 2lb+ many years later down on the Stour but I was fishing for Barbel at the time so I don't count it :wink:

Hi Nick

I was surprised when I moved from Essex to Suffolk how " common " double figure Tench are allegedly in Suffolk compared to Essex .

I say allegedly as I have never purposefully targeted huge Tincas .

Soo , if I was to go Tench fishing have you got any venues in mind , or do I have to wait until you have broken the Tench record and posted your 'photos on the forum ? .

Smiley Face

I was in Dorset at the time Jon . Is yours the same river ?

I believe there is also a river Stour in Essex/Suffolk ....

apparently Tim we have six river Stour's in this country cos we cant think of a new name for a river :lol:

1) Dorset

2) Kent

3) Suffolk

4) warwickshire

5) worcestershire

6) little Stour in Kent

i think the one by me is the worcestershire one, raddled with barbel and chub :wink:

Edited by cyborx

Hi Nick

I was surprised when I moved from Essex to Suffolk how " common " double figure Tench are allegedly in Suffolk compared to Essex .

I say allegedly as I have never purposefully targeted huge Tincas .

Soo , if I was to go Tench fishing have you got any venues in mind , or do I have to wait until you have broken the Tench record and posted your 'photos on the forum ? .

Smiley Face

I know a few venues in Cambridgeshire, Essex and Suffolk that will produce big tench; Alderson Lakes, Barham B Pit, Nazeing Meads and Earith have all produced tench to over 8lb, and I have been lucky enough in the long distant past, when I was a teenager, to have a couple of 9's from Barham :wink: and last season an 8 from Nazeing.

Some of those waters will also produce big bream to double figures as well. :wink:

I think because Essex is a hot bed of carp fishing, bream and tench get ignored, which is a shame.

In fact from Colchester downwards, there is more carp fishing orientated waters and clubs than 'general' fishing.

It seems that this carp fishing bug means other species actually get ignored, which can be good for me and my fishing for other species.

I know a few venues in Cambridgeshire, Essex and Suffolk that will produce big tench; Alderson Lakes, Barham B Pit, Nazeing Meads and Earith have all produced tench to over 8lb, and I have been lucky enough in the long distant past, when I was a teenager, to have a couple of 9's from Barham :wink: and last season an 8 from Nazeing.

Some of those waters will also produce big bream to double figures as well. :wink:

I think because Essex is a hot bed of carp fishing, bream and tench get ignored, which is a shame.

In fact from Colchester downwards, there is more carp fishing orientated waters and clubs than 'general' fishing.

It seems that this carp fishing bug means other species actually get ignored, which can be good for me and my fishing for other species.

Thanks , Nick

apparently Tim we have six river Stour's in this country cos we cant think of a new name for a river :lol:

1) Dorset

2) Kent

3) Suffolk

4) warwickshire

5) worcestershire

6) little Stour in Kent

i think the one by me is the worcestershire one, raddled with barbel and chub :wink:

This may be of interest:

https://localreviews1.knoji.com/facts-about-englands-five-river-stours/

• 1 month later...

Why ? I noticed on Faceache the other day and then the lucky man in question cut and pasted it on here .

Just not on this thread :wink:

And in my defence , I wrote that BeFORE hand and you would have thought he would have posted it on this thread :)

Damned admin :wink:

Congratulations Nick on a new Tench PB 12lb+ .

Proper confused me you have

Why ? I noticed on Faceache the other day and then the lucky man in question cut and pasted it on here .

Just not on this thread :wink:

OK I'm on track now! Lovely Nick!! Thanks for the help ianian, bit touched I am!!!

I wasn't intentionally fishing for tench, so didn't put it on here at the time

It did also make Anglers Mail this week with the title 'Carper .... ......'

12lb 2oz, fish of a lifetime!

There you go :wink:

d9a1f718503cbfe268e09da9b32a00a7_zpsukyf

You were featured in the Anglers Mail and you didn't have a shave Nick ! .

Lovely Tench though , congratulations .

Which gave you the most pleasure , your big Roach , or this Tench ? .

I honestly can't answer that. I was fishing for the roach, the tench was a 'fluke'. Both made me smile, big time.

Shave? Me, I hate shaving, plus I may have shaved before work on Friday morning, that pic was taken Saturday