Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salokcinnodrog

Life of braid vs mono

Well, I just changed the braid on my marker rod.

A heck of a job as I couldn't remember how much braid I put on the reel, and it turned out to be a 250metre spool of Berkley Gorilla.

If I told you that it had been on the spool for 16 years, regularly used, it shows the life of the material compared to mono, which I have to change every year at least once.

Strangely it wasn't the life of the braid that killed it, but a wind knot, or truthfully, me hitting the marker float with a cast, and on retrieving the lead, pulling the braid back, leaving the braid knotted and twisted beyond repair.

The life of braid lasts much longer than that of mono, may be a good thing, but I have regularly been finding discarded braid in the undergrowth or retrieved it attached to rigs from snags.

That means a fish or other wildlife can easily get snagged up and tethered in it.

Nick, i have been fishing with braid for years and i pulled Liam up on  having a pop at you the other day about finding all this braid, mate i can honestly say i have only come across a handfull of carp angler over the last 20 years fishing braid, it aint common mate, if you are getting that ammount of braid, i would suggest that marker float braid is the culprit, i am the only angler i know who uses braid as a mainline and we have the reverse problem, it is always mono we are retreiving, i think you surprised Liam.

Strange thing is, I never retrieve any with the remainders of marker set-ups on, but nearly always a lead clip, and sometimes leads attached with a rig, so I am pretty positive that it is fishing braid I am finding.  :wink:

When it comes to Marker Braid, I don't bother buying a specific 'marker' braid, a neutral or buoyant braid is what I use, so the current replacement is a spool of Fox braid I happened to have already for replacing the Gorilla.

Even that I had ready, and is a number of years old before even respooling, and I did test it before putting it on.

I have the joy of choosing braids through the shop, so I don't do internet shopping, and suffer the risk of buying 'fake' line.

I know that a number of anglers in the Lea Valley do use braid, where much of the fishing is at long distance, and they may think that it is ok to use it straight through with no shock absorbing mono leader :roll:

It is quite possibly this that could well be cracking off on the cast, or being cast to snags and then left 'for dead' and other anglers (me) are retrieving it, although I do find lengths attached to various bankside undergrowth as well.

At least within 2 years mono suffers from UV exposure and becomes very weak compared to braid :!:

Guess what I found this week?

You guessed, and complete with lead attached.

I say found, retrieved is the truth:e4413afbfcbb7374b4eaa0fb829c1e8a_zps7uqd

Strange thing is, I never retrieve any with the remainders of marker set-ups on, but nearly always a lead clip, and sometimes leads attached with a rig, so I am pretty positive that it is fishing braid I am finding.  :wink:

When it comes to Marker Braid, I don't bother buying a specific 'marker' braid, a neutral or buoyant braid is what I use, so the current replacement is a spool of Fox braid I happened to have already for replacing the Gorilla.

Even that I had ready, and is a number of years old before even respooling, and I did test it before putting it on.

I have the joy of choosing braids through the shop, so I don't do internet shopping, and suffer the risk of buying 'fake' line.

I know that a number of anglers in the Lea Valley do use braid, where much of the fishing is at long distance, and they may think that it is ok to use it straight through with no shock absorbing mono leader :roll:

It is quite possibly this that could well be cracking off on the cast, or being cast to snags and then left 'for dead' and other anglers (me) are retrieving it, although I do find lengths attached to various bankside undergrowth as well.

At least within 2 years mono suffers from UV exposure and becomes very weak compared to braid :!:

Looks like some kind of nasty heli type rig with a leader to me, i would never advise anyone to use a hooklength and leader stronger than the mainline, plus rubbish braids are being sold that are not fit for purpose, pathetic rig, bad angling.

While I would love to be able to agree, I am certain that most anglers buy their braids from tackle shops, or online tackle shops, so a cheaper generic unbranded braid is less likely to be used. The leader is leadcore! So I would reckon a 40-50lb braid, attached to a roughly 40lb Leadcore leader.

From the the swim in question where it is mostly gravel, there are few other features, and the braid is going to rub and abrade. I made the point that most braids are less abrasion resistant than many monos, and with little stretch is more likely to crack-off on the cast, especially after being abraded!

To my mind too many anglers use braid without thinking, the why's wherefores and the disadvantages. Its lack of stretch and potential for causing damage to fish means it needs to be used with a mono shockleader, especially for carp fishing.

Shame on the bailiff that let whomever fish like it, in my opinion.

It's easy to belittle the angler who uses the 'death rigs' or set ups but in the main it's down to their lack of education and the bailiff has the prime responsibility to be checking and educating.

All of the tackle is readily available and doesnt come with sufficient instructions. It's easy to see that someone who doesn't know better would think that 45lb braid to 40lb lead core is super safe; after all, who could snap it?

You also get anglers who think that you need line over 40lb to catch a fish over 40lb.

We will all be happy if no one fishes with these type of tactics on any of our waters but unless they are better educated you're nor going to cure the problem, just move it along.

Edited by dalthegooner

ha ha!! dare i utter the words???

apprenticeship, apprenticeship, apprenticeship. i don't give a monkeys if they are natural anglers or not. you get natural healers but you wouldn't let them operate on your kids until they were qualified would you?

ha ha!! dare i utter the words???

apprenticeship, apprenticeship, apprenticeship. i don't give a monkeys if they are natural anglers or not. you get natural healers but you wouldn't let them operate on your kids until they were qualified would you?

I know what you are saying Jon but you really don't have to have donkeys years of angling experience to fish safely . It's all information that is out there and easy to find .

That was no beginner that put that rig together .

No inexperienced angler would take those lagoons on , it's just too big a water , it scared the living day lights out of me and the only reason I spent a whole season on there was due to my transport situation and the fact that my 'chauffeur' wouldn't lower himself to fish a 'lesser' water .

By the end I was fishing it nights only and roaming the Lea by day .

Destroyed my soul , the place did and I'm not too proud to admit it either.

It is not like the lagoons are not bailiffed. I get my ticket checked or the bailiff sticks his head round the door to say 'hello' or drink my coffee :lol: almost every day.

A few have commented on my rigs, in fact with one of the bailiffs who was struggling to catch, I gave him some of my bait and rigs to try for himself.

The bailiffs have a regular rota, so I know many of them by name and sight, and they change the times of calling, day times at weekends, evening at week days.

They do look at rigs etc, and Jamie Godson who runs Lea Valley is an angler himself, so knows.

Sadly you get a lot of anglers who don't know how hard the water is, either Brackens, which is very riggy, for pressured fish, or the lagoons which are Crayfish City, weed in places, gravel bars that chew line for the mere impudence of touching them, and some serious snags in other areas for just a few fish, maybe 100 carp over 60 acres?

Bream and tench that eat what the Crays leave, along with some long distance casting.

Many come on thinking that just because it holds big fish, or is a comparatively cheap season ticket, that they will catch plenty. Lea Valley fisheries don't know how good or qualified an angler is before they join, and many are banned for 'anti social behaviour' or other rule breaking.

Most last about 2 weeks before quitting!

The use of tackle is covered by a simple rule:

Anglers must not engage in any activity or angling practice which endangers the fishery quality, health of the fish, surrounding wildlife or other park users / staff.

It may be that an angler has a ticket, walks around, and by chance because he is not actively fishing, doesn't get 'bailiffed', or he may set up after the bailiff has been around checking.

It is rigs like that that actually get published in some modern media, magazines, YouTube, forums or groups.

If Nick retrieved that at Nazeing that's a disgrace . That water is difficult enough without such an uneducated Angler being permitted to fish it .

I know what you are saying Jon but you really don't have to have donkeys years of angling experience to fish safely . It's all information that is out there and easy to find .

That was no beginner that put that rig together .

No inexperienced angler would take those lagoons on , it's just too big a water , it scared the living day lights out of me and the only reason I spent a whole season on there was due to my transport situation and the fact that my 'chauffeur' wouldn't lower himself to fish a 'lesser' water .

By the end I was fishing it nights only and roaming the Lea by day .

Destroyed my soul , the place did and I'm not too proud to admit it either.

Tim, may i respectfully draw your attention to the above posts?

Tim, may i respectfully draw your attention to the above posts?

I don't think the two statements contradict each other. Uneducated is not the same as inexperienced, or experience does not always equate to education.

An experienced person may due to lack of education and understanding of technology or in this case the water come up with a totally incorrect answer to a problem.

Equally an inexperienced person, by following the media, or other lesson maybe by someone else on another water, is educated, but in a totally incorrect manner.

It is the same in the workplace, experience or education, not often both :wink:

It is the same in the workplace, experience or education, not often both :wink:

in answer to that Nick, i dont think you can relate education or experience in the workplace with angling because unless you are a bailiff or otherwise responsible for a lake and its environs (by which you should know better) you are not putting a fishes life at risk by your incompetence.

in answer to that Nick, i dont think you can relate education or experience in the workplace with angling because unless you are a bailiff or otherwise responsible for a lake and its environs (by which you should know better) you are not putting a fishes life at risk by your incompetence.

I disagree!

I knew how to drive a forklift before I started my job, but that does not mean I was experienced in that role, or had the current qualification to do so until I was retested.

An angler who reads the media could learn some totally inadequate set-ups, to some extent they are educated, but not experienced.

In this case, someone may have been taught something by someone else either media, maybe a tackle shop assistant, but their education, limited it may be, does not give them the experience to deal with such a water.

I disagree!

I knew how to drive a forklift before I started my job, but that does not mean I was experienced in that role, or had the current qualification to do so until I was retested.

An angler who reads the media could learn some totally inadequate set-ups, to some extent they are educated, but not experienced.

In this case, someone may have been taught something by someone else either media, maybe a tackle shop assistant, but their education, limited it may be, does not give them the experience to deal with such a water.

nick, i can see exactly what you are saying BUT! having been educated in something does NOT give you experience in that thing yes?

having the right amount and type of experience in something DOES give you an education in that thing yes?

learning from the media does NOT give you experience but MAY give an education.

learning by practice (forklift driving) may give you experience and an education eventually (after many crashes in which you have ran over a few carp)

having an educated and experienced mate looking over your shoulder and showing you the correct way to do this thing (apprenticeship) will reduce the amount of crashes you have and the amount of time that will be required to learn the basics AND also maybe save a few carp along the way.

and it really doesn't have to take years as you are only learning one principle.

see what i did there?

i likened angling to the workplace :lol:

i have bailiffed a few waters and i have never been averse to checking rigs, even people that i know have fished a certain water for a long time.

all it takes is a lapse in attention to the finer details and often a fresh look at a rig will point out a fault.

i would also give up a session on the bank to sit with someone who professed to be a little leary of their own abilities.

It is a pity more waters dont employ pro baillifs to do just what you are suggesting, particularly the larger commys at the other end of the scale.

trouble with that tho steve it would be money out of their hard earned (as if lol) :wink:

It is a pity more waters dont employ pro baillifs to do just what you are suggesting, particularly the larger commys at the other end of the scale.

trouble with that tho steve it would be money out of their hard earned (as if lol) :wink:

I think that some commercials do do just that, probably large commercials and syndicates more than season ticket lakes! Try fishing an iffy rig on Marsh Pratley's waters, and I reckon you would be on your backside going back up the driveway :!:

Ian Jones on Earith syndicates has a rig and tackle check policy, and each rule break sees a permit corner clipped, or more severe will see an immediate ban.

Put it this way, you can pay your money to join an open access club, where there is little education, or even somewhere where like Lea Valley, is open access, any angler can join, but it takes a rule transgression when a bailiff actually catches an angler breaking the rules to kick them out. As it happens I do know that people have been banned from Lea Valley fisheries for various offences; in fact I had a bailiff warning myself for being caught with a throwing stick, when I thought no-one was about, but a bailiff saw me sticking a few baits in. :oops:

There are probably many fisheries, syndicates, clubs or commercials that are only interested in money over tackle and Fish safety, I bet in the great wide world, very few can afford to employ full time bailiffs.

The main point is that a number of fisheries have banned braid on fishing rods, where it may be is such a danger, possibly because of idiot factor, i.e. take the whole risk away from everyone because of the few, or because they have seen the damage braid can cause.

Not every angler remembers to fish with a mono shock leader, not every angler takes care not to cast towards snags and get too close with braid, or that (sinking) braid will not stand rubbing and a branding over gravel bars.

The majority of fishing braids used in carp fishing are around 40lb, Leadcore is probably the same, yet mono most anglers use 10-20lb, which the sharp acceleration of a carp, or pulling for a break will usually snap at the mainline to junction knot; not so with braided mainline which is much higher breaking strain, and may not snap at all, or anywhere along its length between rod tip and where it is snagged, but only if enough pressure is applied, which a carp (or other fish) may not be able to do.

Nick,

Explain the throwing stick rule?

Sorry to butt in , but in case Nick doesn't see this for a while , Sharpy , Brackens at Nazeing has a no spodding/loose feed rule except using PVA .