Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wncmatthew

groundbait vs particle bait?

7 posts in this topic

i have a few quick questions.....im trying to fish with a method lead rig and ive seen some videos on people using a bag of ground bait mix for there methods.....and some using baits like ( oatmeal, corn, vanilla extract ).............which one would be better for carp in the US.......And i guess particle bait like ( bird seed, hemp seeds, millet,  etc.) is for chumming??? or can you use that to for method leads 

I am struggling with the terminology buddy, i am in the UK, and the method employs a large groundbait feeder with a short hooklink behind it, the lead id a fixture inside the feeder, a wet groundbait made very sticky is squezzed around the feeder and the rod is at right angles to the water, no strike should be attempted, just wait till the baitrunner indicates a carp has hooked itself, what you are describing is a bolt rig with a bag of loose feed not in the broadsense the method, if you Pm me i will gladly give you a killer method mix but has to be used as i described otherwise your way it will melt the bags before it hits the water.

And I guess particle bait like ( bird seed, hemp seeds, millet,  etc.) is for chumming???

Yes you are correct, in the UK we call them particles, which just refers to any smallish baits put into the swim. Maize is also considered a particle, there is a list of particles as a sticky in the bait section with instructions on how to prepare them before use.

or can you use that to for method leads

If the method you are talking about is the same as described by CM (carpmachine) then you have to do something to it to make it stick to the feeder, which usually implies that you have to grind it up.

Hi 👋  you can use basically anything in your method mix as long as it all binds together for the cast, back, in  the very early days of the method cow pat was used as it contain lots of worms 🐛 and other bugs, look at the ccmore website in th 🇬🇧  theirs plenty of good reading about all the baits flavours and additives . so as long as your mix is sticky holds together on the cast you can add anything, vitaling dog food was a good binder if its sold in the 🇺🇸. you could also use trout pellet scolded down with hot water to a mush and mould it around the lead. 

particals is the term we use for any pulse bean  or seed bait. maze, hemp, mung bean chic pea, maple pea,tiger nuts peanut  ect ect, not forgetting the bird seeds like pigon conditioner. The main thing with particals is the preparation all will need to be given a soak pryer to cooking, my rule is soak overnight in water, then bring to the boils and simmer for 30-40 mins extra caution when cooking nuts,  always save the liquid for mixing as its contains plenty of oils and flavour 

I have caught several fish using a method based on pigeon feed, particle bait fersure.  It is wet when I get to the lake, so the first thing I do is throw in some pellets to soak up some of the moisture.  I also throw in some hemp seed and maybe red corn if I have any.   It sits while I set up banksticks, etc.  For a binder I use a mix of bread crumbs, panko, and one-minute rolled oats.  My objective is for the method to be sitting on the bottom for a bit before it lets go of it delicious delights.  Sometimes I see a cloud where it hits the water, and I know I didn't quite make it, but the absolutely worst embarassing outcome is reeling in your line and seeing your feeder still loaded up.

I have been making a pack bait for use in my method rigs, which uses panko crumbs, jello, whole kernel canned sweet corn, and garbonzo beans (chic peas). This recepie I got online from Luke at catfishandcarp.com See how this is used on youtube, and then you'll know as much as I do LOL....it works for me!