Prebaiting

Lumeymorris

Right now, I don't have enough time to commit to a pre-baiting approach - whether that's a few handfuls of bait the night before a session, or an active baiting programme.

A few years back, I spent six weeks, visiting a lake 3 times a week to prebait with mixed particles (Hemp, Tares, Maple Peas, Chick Peas and Maize). Baiting in the less popular spots to reduce the amount of pressure on the feeding fish - creating a safe area for them to feed freely.

I fished a 48hr session in mid March - and was 'plagued' by Tench. I eventually reeled my rods in to get some sleep.

Whilst I didn't get the result I was looking for, it certainly did prove to me that by pre-baiting, I was able to bring the fish into the area, and caught plenty. Perhaps in choose the wrong bait for the lake? I only ever fish boilies on that specific lake now.

I merged the two Prebaiting topic threads together, so I apologise if I have confuzzled or offended anybody, but I reckon they are both in the same vein, and can be dealt with under one thread.

I am very much one for prebaiting, but it has to be done right, without upsetting other anglers, or affecting their fishing.

As Sharpy has mentioned, prebaiting with particles and groundbait on a venue can draw tench and bream. I tried it on Ardleigh and Virginia, and they got to particles long before carp, and actually were in so many numbers the carp often didn't get a look in. On Brackens however, where carp are the pre-dominant species, they would feed happily over boilies, particles and ground-bait, with boilie on the hook.

Prebaiting with a particular groundbait on Taverham caught me loads of tench!

Switch to boilies alone, and the carp were eating the bait and getting caught on Virginia.

As for prebaiting in general, I would not do it on a day ticket commercial, they probably see so many baits, boilie is a boilie, and there is no point in baiting up for other anglers. Taverham was the exception though as although day ticket, it wasn't so publicised as it is now.

Yet on a syndicate or club water where you can be specific and bait all over then I would.

I also would not bait a specific swim, you can't guarantee it being free next time you fish.

My prebaiting is the whole lake! A few baits in almost every swim, or spots I know the carp visit.

You do not need to prebait heavily, a kilo a week on a lake of 20acres worked for me on Earith Virginia, although I had put in around 20kg over 2 weeks before I fished it. At the end of every trip I put in a kilo, then fished the lake a week later, choosing a swim from the conditions and other anglers each time.

On Brackens, I usually put in what I had left after each trip, the joys of PVA, boy did that cost me!

Saying that, the more of a good food bait you can prebait, then the more the carp will accept it.

Then you have a big BUT!

If somebody else is already prebaiting in such amounts that you can't compete, then it may simply be worth trying to fish an Attractor bait, and fishing for a week on a Day Ticket Commercial that Attractor bait at the start may produce a fish or two until a food bait kicks in.

one thing I disagree with is baiting the whole lake, or even 2 swims, yes you want to get the carp confidently feeding on your bait but if you are baiting everywhere then chances are fish will be had on the back of your hard work, pre baiting is less about bait and more about location, doesn't matter what bait you put in, if someone spots them fizzing up then all it takes is a decent bait on there heads and you have baited up for them, you want to give carp a place to come and have a nice relaxing meal in a spot they get used too and feel confident on, it's no good if you are fishing on one of your baited spots and the fish are feeding on your other / others. It's not always possible but if you can find a place where carp will generally come and no one else fishes, bait up regularly you will catch a lot, yes some anglers will jump in when they catch wind you are doing well !! then move to another spot, reap what you sow.

one thing I disagree with is baiting the whole lake, or even 2 swims, yes you want to get the carp confidently feeding on your bait but if you are baiting everywhere then chances are fish will be had on the back of your hard work, pre baiting is less about bait and more about location, doesn't matter what bait you put in, if someone spots them fizzing up then all it takes is a decent bait on there heads and you have baited up for them, you want to give carp a place to come and have a nice relaxing meal in a spot they get used too and feel confident on, it's no good if you are fishing on one of your baited spots and the fish are feeding on your other / others. It's not always possible but if you can find a place where carp will generally come and no one else fishes, bait up regularly you will catch a lot, yes some anglers will jump in when they catch wind you are doing well !! then move to another spot, reap what you sow.

No mate, with baiting the whole lake, using an HNV or good food bait you are using the theory of nutritional recognition. This works on the carp preferring to pick up your bait over others of a lesser value.

I mentioned the food value, and on Earith, I watched anglers who weren't using the same bait fish the same swims. While they caught occasional fish, I was catching far more (and bigger) fish than they were catching.

On occasion my mate who was on the same bait ran out of bait on the bank, so bought a bag of Trigga freezer bait, and caught fish but not in the same amount as my own Trigga recipe, which had boosted levels of the nutritional attractor GLM Extract, Betaine, and Sweet Cajouser (a taste enhancer).

My baiting the whole lake I was also confident in going into any swim on the 20 acre lake, and knowing that the fish had seen my bait. They were confident in feeding on it, wherever they went they had found a boilie with my name on it, so to find another one which had a hook attached was just a case of 'ooh, look a sweetie'. I could fish that boilie bait over pellets, over boilies, chops whole and crumbled baits knowing I was going to catch.

As catch, I had a total of four blank sessions over 2 years. Those blanks were my first trip, where I fished the most comfortable swim, where a mate and I doubled up without looking, two more were when the lake froze mid session, and the other was a nightmare session where Bruce caught in the next swim, but I could not get anything right, a lost fish or two, although I think I may have been where the carp were preparing to spawn.

I did try this at first but found that I would use too much bait and too much time to get it out there, ime not talking sprinkling it in the margins, I would bait once a week couple of snag spots but also spots to underwater features at 30 to 90 yards, all measured, clipped up etc all noted in a book, took me hours to achieve this plus was going through so much bait I would alternate between swims to fish my baited spots, one week on one the next week the other so on.. Cought fish but sometimes struggled, when I just concentrated one swim it was easier cheaper and never blanked, I still baited different spots but from one dedicated swim. Just my penny's worth that's all.

Yes def Horses for courses, I must say that ime doing well mixing both, I seem to get better results baiting with both and when I fish just bait with completely blended boilies and my usual particle, I think they home in on the smell of the crushed bait ? Also some times I haven't prepared the particle in time so just boilies to keep bait going in

Thing with my fishing on Earith, and to some extent on Ardleigh, if you baited, and prebaited with particles the bream and tench would or could wipe you out. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy catching big bream and tench, but not on carp gear, and not when I was being kept awake before work the next day with 12+ 7-8lb bream overnight.

On Earith especially, the tench would stay almost permanently over particles. Yet strangely on Ardleigh groundbaiting, could have the carp in that day or they would hang around after the bream had cleared it up, almost as if the 'smell' on the lakebed was keeping them there

I have usually done best on a boilie prebaiting approach, that is what works for me.

There's been a little lesson learn't on how not to pre-bait on one of my syndicates.  

3 weeks ago we drew swims for the opening weekend after a 4 week closure following spawning.  The lake opened Friday evening, and by Sunday morning they'd only been 3 fish out to 13 anglers and all 3 had been caught on Zigs.

As is normal the bailiffs go out in a boat on a Sunday and check/empty the various cray pots, whilst near my swim I asked him to have a look on my spots (I'd baited 3 spots (2 rods), he said there was loads of bait there, and even 2 of the spots which are known for takes, were covered in uneaten bait (1 spot particle, the other just boillies).  As he went around the lake it was the same everywhere, so between us we'd killed the fishing without knowing it, and wasted a lot of money in the process.  

It's certainly made me re-think my pre-baiting approach.

Out of interest how much and how frequently were you prebaiting, how big is your venue, stock levels and how many other anglers were doing the same thing, alternative species numbers.

It's a small lake 8 acres, with 15 swims, average depth 10ft ( the fish were caught on 8' Zigs) personally I put in 8 kgs boillie, and 20 kgs particle during 6 visits over the 2 weeks before opening. One bloke who lives local baited up every night for 3 weeks putting in 150kgs particle only. Others varied in quantiles but all of us were pre-baiting in some form. Stock levels really aren't known, general consensus is 1 X 40, 12 X 30's, and a decent head of back up 20's (who knows how many), other species almost none, 2 known cats, only 3 Tench have been caught it the past 3 years, and a few pike to 20lb. On the plus side you don't get bothered by anything non carp, on the downside it's not unusual to go 48 without a single bleep

On Nazeing the past few weeks I think the carp have been feeding almost exclusively on daphnia, and other fish spawn, so even though I have been prebaiting I think the carp have been ignoring the bait, although the bream and probably the Crays have been taking the prebaited foods. I am not sure how much other anglers have been baiting as I think many are wary of the Crays and are using plastic baits.

My view is that every free boilie the carp get is a free bait so they will be more likely at some point to take my boilies on the hook.

My thoughts exactly Nick, but Mark says a lot was uneaten, once fish get on the naturals for a prolonged period, it takes time to shift them back.

Agreed, I think very few carp have been caught out of Nazeing since the winter, except specific spots on the tree line closest to the sluice. The daphnia concentration seemed to be heaviest around the sluice, and that is where the carp have been concentrated, which is also near where the bream appear to have been holding as well.

I don't think the carp have spawned yet as they tend to use the back of Long Island for that, a fairly weedy area, and I haven't seem them in that spot. Also I seem to recall a lot of anglers in the past from articles and books reckoning that until the carp have spawned fishing can be fairly blank.

Snoozer spotted a compromise and scored heavily on the runs front compared to the rest, if he wants to tell you how, the floors his but i cannot reveal someone elses secret bait.

Actually it was a comment made by you Steve when you were on one of your visits during the closed period, You noted the Carp were hard on the Bloodworm in the lake which got me thinking the only bait i use there is the Ghost so i had an idea to Glug some Ghost boilies in Bloodworm and try one on a rod see what occured.

You guessed it the bloodworm rod lept into action, A total of 3 runs on that rod during the session.

Ended up with all 3 on the Bloodworm glugged Ghost boilies with 6 runs to 3 fish on the bank with all 3 rods producing.

I have learned quite quickly that Steve has years of experiance fishing here and it would be unwise to ignore his musings :) Had he not mentioned the Bloodworm fest i might have blanked :(

Edited by snoozer

Actually it was a comment made by you Steve when you were on one of your visits during the closed period, You noted the Carp were hard on the Bloodworm in the lake which got me thinking the only bait i use there is the Ghost so i had an idea to Glug some Ghost boilies in Bloodworm and try one on a rod see what occured.

You guessed it the bloodworm rod lept into action, A total of 3 runs on that rod during the session.

Ended up with all 3 on the Bloodworm glugged Ghost boilies with 6 runs to 3 fish on the bank with all 3 rods producing.

I have learned quite quickly that Steve has years of experiance fishing here and it would be unwise to ignore his musings :) Had he not mentioned the Bloodworm fest i might have blanked :(

ta bud, i now have some glugging in bloodworm ready for my next bash at that corner peg :wink:

ta bud, i now have some glugging in bloodworm ready for my next bash at that corner peg :wink:

Thanks for the kudos mate, but you worked it out for yourself and your solution i would never have thought of, i know the lake true, but it takes a thinking angler to crack it so quickly, you are a modest chap and i take no credit for your instant sucess, i have known experienced anglers who have relinquished their membership after catching a couple of fish a season from this lake, go get that PB upped and enjoy your season, its all your own doing, nothing to do with me.

Cheers Steve, Now who's being Modest lol

No problem matey lol

I'm not one for keeping anything secrect when fishing, Were all on there to catch kippers and help from others sometimes gives us that edge :)

Anymore of this and i will get Mick to give you 7 hours of advice, hee, hee, but all joking aside, he knows the lake better than me and is worth listening to, if you have the time.

It was peacefull Sunday Steve i think he was indoors watching footy as we never got a visit :)

It a shame as we tend to switch off around an hour into the tirade :(

That particular peg is full of bubblers every morning till quite late thanks to the weather, anytime Jonno, i will square it with the authorities, you and the other guys, Ian and Vik, we have enough members on here to accomodate the guesties without annoying bad old Les.

trying to get the wife to agree to me doing a 24 before the month end lol