Im going to Linear Fishery over the B/holiday heard quite a lot of fish are spawning over there.

Is it worth fishing the place if they are or is it still possible to get a few runs while they are or is it the kiss of death and will blank?

has anyone fished over there when there been spawning and caught any carp from there>

your thoughts observations please

If i knew the fish were spawning i personally wouldn't fish the water,but that's me.

I know guys that fish when fish are spawning and they have caught and also claimed a PB.To me if you've done your PB with a fish full of spawn i wouldn't count it as it wouldn't be it's normal true weight,but as i said that's just the way i think.

Not all fish in the Lake will be spawning at the same time. Some may not go into the area where the majority of the fish will be spawning as its not their normal area. Some may prefer to stay in their own area and won't get the "urge" until the water in that area warms up to spawning temperature.

Have fished at the Reservoir when many Carp were spawning and had a Carp well away from the spawning area that was definitely not ready to spawn.

Some people Seem to think that many Male Carp will have a munch on there way in or out of the Spawning area, yet the female Carp just want to get it out of the way and won't eat until the Act is done.

fished there 48 hrs had 1 mirror 8lb 12oz, 1 run during the night apart from that not even a liner and got soaked as a rat as part of the bargain!

Let it be known all the Carp our now spawning on all the lakes at Linear, its really not worth the effort fishing there while they are, most people on Brasenose blanked so i was one of the lucky ones.

on BRASENOSE 2

heres a pic of my effort anyways, I look forward to going again, I am disappointed though in not catching more, as I went by minicab from London to Linear for £90 and £90 back home to London again, add to that £57 for 3 day ticket and food it was bloody expensive, having said that the place can be bang on at times and well worth it

tight lines mate

8.12 oz

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l36/stevefranco/?action=view&current=100_3365.jpg

on BRASENOSE 2

heres a pic of my effort anyways, I look forward to going again, I dissappointed thoughin not catching more as I went by cab from london £90 and £90 back home again, add to that £57 for 3 day ticket and food it was bloody expensive, having said that the place can be bang on at times and well worth it

tight lines mate

i dnt tink that was worht it haha

8.12 oz

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l36/stevefranco/?action=view&current=100_3365.jpg

I went to Joe,s Carp Farm..near Spalding..the Carp were spawning,I had 6 fish to 15lb all off the top...and the best part is it cost me £3 to fish..£1.40 bait..£3 petrol.. :wink:
Zammo...

Not having much luck on a normal lake so you have to go to a carp farm! :wink:

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd bring the thread back up about Spawning Carp.

Carp won't spawn until the temperature has been up at about 18degrees for a couple of weeks.

The water may contain areas that don't get to the required temperature, so in those areas the Carp may not spawn until it does.

With the weather warm as it is now the water temperatures will be warming up, but the Carp are unlikely, not definite, to be ready to drop until the end of May or even early June if it stays consistent. You may find that some fish are shoaling up (especially the Males), and Male Carp will start to be showing Spawning Tubercles around their heads and gills. This is supposed to be to rub against the females to provoke them to drop their eggs for the Males to fertilize with their Milt.

Carp may go on spawning until September if the weather stays warm, or of the weather drops in temperature then Carp may suddenly stop spawning and probably a few Females may die, being spawnbound and other stress may cause them to die. If they are spawnbound , then many or most of the eggs are re-absorbed, so it's this other stress that may cause the problem, not being spawnbound on its own.

Also Carp that are getting to spawn may not be particularly hungry until after spawning, so you may need to think about your baiting.

It may be an amazing sight watching fish splashing and crashing in inches of water laying their eggs on the marginal weeds and reeds, although some even get bumped onto the bank

Spent a fair bit of time down the Lake recently just watching the fish, the smaller fish are "getting it on", the Males trying to get a bit territorial over "their" area before the (bigger) females move in. The smaller females have just about started spawning as the water has warmed up so quickly.

So this time of the year is not a good time to go carp fishing then?

Damn. Looks like i'm back to tiddlie bashing for a while. Oh well, give me time to invest in some more gear and a new Bivvy.

Cheers, Mark

Many people still fish for Carp at this time of year. Personally, i don't. I prefer to let the Carp get on with it & give them time to recover. Each to their own though.