New Starter, knows nada!

Alex,listen to Dal. You've seen the good side of .com now the serious side. Fish care is paramount,retention slings ain't there for sacking fish for a long period. They stay in the upper layers and if there's weed present then it's even worse. Bite time is half hr before sunrise where I fish,and I ain't got a prob whacking a fish in there for trophy shots..... Big sling,weed free water and the fish come to no harm. Of corse you've PB so your going to be buzzing ... But...... It doesn't matter what time you catch a fish it's YOUR responsibility to make sure the fish is well looked after,and the mouth damage,if you may of missed it in the middle of the night then sorry,mate,that's your fault. Sorry for being so harsh but it can be a steep learning curve for an enthusiastic newbie.

Dal,you could of worded the trophy shot comment better. It's obvious that Alex is buzzing but I do agree with what you say,mate..... I'd of wanted a trophy shot with my PB as well,mate.

Great fish mate we'll done. Great feeling isn't it. I think that sacks have a role to play for sure, great for short periods of time while waiting for pics also very important for exhausted fish to recover as long as the fish is kept on clear deep water. I was fishing a lake where sacks were forbidden and after catching a very old fish that that gave it's all in the fight it was very apparent to me that the fish was exhausted as it wouldnt swim off or even stay upright. I sacked it in a deep margin to recover checking constantly by actually being in the water as I was so concerned. The bailiff came round, I explained what had happened and duly got banned from the lake! Time and a place for everything but in my opinion not for long periods of time unchecked for a photo.

http://www.carp-uk.net/forum/articles/sacking-carp.htm

Useful for many I'm sure, Alex as far as I can tell the main concern with sacking is that the fish could be in water which may lack oxygen.

It isn't something I have done so I have no experience to draw on. But I imagine sacking is something many people will do without knowing or considering the risks involved. Until I read it here (no idea what thread) I had no idea there was any risk to fish when sacking.

Well done on your fish, you must be pleased [emoji4]

Edited by nealjt

Alex. Amazon do some good quality gear at very good prices. Look at the black widow range. 13ft carp rod. Black widow reel (a bait runner 4000 is ideal) and fox excocet mainline (20lb). Less than 100 quid the lot. A good float setup (i have this and it's very good) Daiwa 10ft Carp match rod (£33). Daiwa Sweepfire 2500 reel (£23). Fox surface floater mainline 15lb. (£7). All from amazon. Some with free delivery. Bosch. Sorted.

It was in the sling for 1 hour 45 minutes on a lake which the margin drops 6ft right away. Before slating why not ask the time it was there, the lake conditions etc. I even checked the weather to see if it was hot at sunrise so as soon as it got warm I put him back... I fish with 4 guys and between them there's 60+ years experience and they all said nothing I did was wrong as some of you made me feel I did something wrong although when explained they said 'no, nothing wrong done there'

I don't want to argue I want to learn and fish.

I don't want to argue I want to learn and fish.

Good for you Alex, you've obviously thought about what you are doing, you've kept an open mind and you are keen to learn.

Personally, I don't use slings by any name (I'm not against them, just won't use one), I might however leave a fish in the landing net to recover if I think it needs it - I've no idea how I decide that a fish needs time in a landing net though :oops:

One thing I do wonder about regularly checking fish in a sling is: doesn't this cause more stress for the fish?