Spawning

victormeldrew

Hello,my son in law just rang up,He's been fishing for a couple of days,I knew he had had something,He said he had had the big one again that he had caught last year,last year he caught it at the end of september at 50lb and ounce's and this time it was 39lb,I thought that that was a lot of weight loss but he said it had spawned 4 times this year.Can fish spawn4 times?I can see that they might go thru the motions ie crashing about in the reeds etc,but can they actually release spawn?

Some fish will spawn over and over. Roach for example. Carp to my knowledge are more of a once per year fish.

As CM says, if the fish has lost that much weight there's probably something wrong with it.

Of course it's always possible that's it's either a different fish, or the sling was full of water/stones the first time. ;P

B enson, liked a visit to the bank, many times a season, such weight loss was never seen in such a large fish over such a short period, as for spawning, yep many interruptions but i reckon the same batch of eggs whether dropped or not, there is clearly a serious decline if this was the same fish, 11 pounds of spawn seems a little bit over the top to me, especially in late August, recovery would be expected earlier.

This year in my syndicate a couple of the 40ties dropped almost 10lb in spawn they have quickly put the weight back on but big fish can defonately loose a big percentage of body weight in spawning paticularly a 50lber.

Wasn't Benson male ? So that would explain a more consistent weight.

excerpt from Wikipedia.

Benson (1984 – 4 August 2009)[1] was "Britain's biggest and best-loved" common carp.[2][3] Benson's popularity was such that she was caught 63 times in 13 years, although the accessibility that made her popular was also the cause of controversy among angling's elite. She has also been referred to as "the people's fish"[4] and was voted by readers of Angler's Mail as Britain's Favourite Carp in 2005.[1]

The fish, who was female, was originally one of a pair: her original companion, Hedges, disappeared in a flood of the River Nene in 1998.[1]

that will be a no then :wink:

Why would I admit to being wrong?

Blackeye at Holme pool was chased by many a famous angler it was one of the biggest male carp in the country at 55lb . I have spoke to the owner there & sydicate members ,as I fished the lake next to it .

So all the anglers who chased him are wrong & the owner & your right .

Mary, definitely male!

In July 1991, meanwhile, Pete Springate netted Mary at 45lb 6oz. Despite it being a male, this splendid catch was named Mary – a tag that stuck. Pete’s catch fired another wave of interest, with more and more anglers flocking to W1 for a piece of the action.

That's where I got it from and a few writings from other anglers who caught her. But then sexing a carp is not everyone's strong point. And At the time the close season was in effect so catching it with spawn in probably wasn't realistic. And stripping a fish is the only most effective way of sexing. Unless you cut it open of course.

Any animal which lays eggs has the female as the larger of the sexes. Probably due to the need to carry eggs annually. It doesn't mean a male carp cannot grow to the same proportions in the right environment though. the black mirror from the mere was a male fish I do believe. Had its milt stripped once upon a time and no the strain is available from a very reputable fish farming duo.

Mary was a male fish like you said.

A female carp will lose about 25% of their body weight when spawning. So a 50lber will lose about 11-12lb easily. Whether it's in one go or over a period due to multiple spawning events. It'll stack it back on during autumn.

Good,saw the pics yesterday,He said it has always dropped a lot of weight after spawning and then puts it all back on again and is fighting fit.happy days