Rod Shots

On 23/05/2021 at 18:08, ouchthathurt said:

Not exactly a carp lake but still... 

09ADA318-F95E-40A1-8008-C3AE9A18CF7D.jpeg

3 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

5am this morning 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

First bass of the year, not huge, but it’s a start! 

AB203336-ABFA-463E-AAE7-5FE32A0170DD.jpeg

I tell you what ouch you aren't half making me miss my shore fishing, I used to absolutely love my shore fishing not been for years, I sold most of my gear but just kept the one rod and reel, your photos are making me want to dig them out and hit the beach but you and I know what happens then, I'm going to end up going out and buying a load of beach gear again. 🤣😂 Keep the photos coming mate.

Forgive me if this is a terribly basic question but I don't know cos I am a land lubber and only ever sea fished from a boat 😳

When you are shore fishing, is it just a case of pubchucking it as far as you can? I am assuming there is a lot more to it lol but I just wondered 🤔

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Forgive me if this is a terribly basic question but I don't know cos I am a land lubber and only ever sea fished from a boat 😳

When you are shore fishing, is it just a case of pubchucking it as far as you can? I am assuming there is a lot more to it lol but I just wondered 🤔

It can be as simple as that for some I guess but for me personally there is a lot more to it than that. Scouting the beaches you intend to fish at low tide to look out for snags, any gullies the fish might use as the tide comes in, whether there are any worm casts and which casts,  mussel beds etc, this can point you  to which baits will work. Learning the tidal pulls, learning the tidal strength as the tides build day on day to "spring tides" then the reverse when they drop to "neap tides". Some beaches can only be fished 2hrs before high tide to 2hrs down from high tide.  So learning depths etc is important.  There is a lot to learn, each beach will be different just like each lake is different.  Each beach will fish better on certain parts of the tide etc, like a lake you got to learn them. Of coarse you can catch by just turning up and launching to the horizon, but as with lakes,  the fish can be a lot closer than you think. 

23 minutes ago, emmcee said:

It can be as simple as that for some I guess but for me personally there is a lot more to it than that. Scouting the beaches you intend to fish at low tide to look out for snags, any gullies the fish might use as the tide comes in, whether there are any worm casts and which casts,  mussel beds etc, this can point you  to which baits will work. Learning the tidal pulls, learning the tidal strength as the tides build day on day to "spring tides" then the reverse when they drop to "neap tides". Some beaches can only be fished 2hrs before high tide to 2hrs down from high tide.  So learning depths etc is important.  There is a lot to learn, each beach will be different just like each lake is different.  Each beach will fish better on certain parts of the tide etc, like a lake you got to learn them. Of coarse you can catch by just turning up and launching to the horizon, but as with lakes,  the fish can be a lot closer than you think. 

Thanks for the reply, very interesting stuff, makes a lot more sense when you put it like that,I can see the appeal of a nice quiet beach, I wouldn't have a clue where to start though good stuff 👍

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

Very well explained mate, explained much better than I could of. And you also have got different species at different times of the year and at different states of the tide.

1 hour ago, finchey said:

Very well explained mate, explained much better than I could of. And you also have got different species at different times of the year and at different states of the tide.

Yes exactly,  the different species at different times of the year makes it interesting.  Let's face it, you never really know what will pick your bait up next. 

3 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Yes exactly,  the different species at different times of the year makes it interesting.  Let's face it, you never really know what will pick your bait up next. 

I couldn't agree more emmcee the not noing what you're going to catch and not going out to just target the one species. I also like going out with an ultra light set up and targeting the mini species on rock marks or small harbours. 

I know very little about sea angling other than i love it. up at staithes in Yorkshire, they do have spots in the sea, the guys are real open not like course fishing, off staiths harbour there are clearings in kelp forests and deep holes in the scar that runs out into the sea they are the best spots,  then they have the cliff ladders, now when I say this remember I have been a window cleaner on and off for a very long time, used triple ladders and cradles, you would not get me on those cliff ladders, the local lads carry all the kit up and down them. 

On 25/05/2021 at 14:01, finchey said:

I tell you what ouch you aren't half making me miss my shore fishing, I used to absolutely love my shore fishing not been for years, I sold most of my gear but just kept the one rod and reel, your photos are making me want to dig them out and hit the beach but you and I know what happens then, I'm going to end up going out and buying a load of beach gear again. 🤣😂 Keep the photos coming mate.

Yeah I had sold all my beach gear a few years back, but recently replaced it when I found myself walking the dog along the beach with the dog and I found a large bass washed up on the shore. There’s nothing quite like it for me. I’ll keep the pics coming! As much as I love my carp fishing, I started sea fishing first, with my grandfather and father. I caught a large plaice through a terrible cast which caused a huge tangle. After my dad and I picked it all out, we reeled in to find this sea monster on the end! I live 5mins from the beach and I can squeeze in a few hours here or there, got a quiet evening, grab the gear and go, fish 2hrs up and 1-2hrs down. My wife can come, the dog can come, the kids can come, I’m not leaving wifey at home alone while I try get a night or two in then having to make the best of a bad job because the going swims are taken by time bandits... 

On 25/05/2021 at 19:03, emmcee said:

Where abouts is this can I ask? I fish the south coast,  west Sussex,  Hampshire and Dorset.  

These pics are taken on the shore of Hastings and Pett (near Rye) in East Sussex mate. East Sussex beaches are fishing really well at the moment, but the weed is an issue. 

On 25/05/2021 at 19:18, emmcee said:

Perfectly put mate. I find that shore fishing and carp fishing are similar, a pub chuck can produce, but in the pic of the dog, you can see the the rocky gullies at low spring tide. A lugworm bait in here won’t do many bites, but a peeler crab bait will produce. Putting a lead 120yrds may produce all manner of species, but my Pb bass, 11lb, was caught on a freelined pouting (a small member of the cod family) on a flooding tide after dark only 3yrds out. The bass followed the rocky margins hunting small fish and crabs, everyone used to cast 60-80yrds here and had lots of smaller species, yet large bass were right under your feet! 

To be fair guys the lake I'm  on has only got one other angler on it, the other lake three, plenty of pegs, not fishing very well nothing out since last weekend, I got a zig bug on the go in a fly hatch nothing, going to stick with the zig on one rod, trust me time banditing don't add up to much most of the time semi retirement is something  for you younger guys to look forward to.

On 01/06/2021 at 08:13, ouchthathurt said:

Yes mate, the good old Anguilla Anguilla, common eel, silver eel, sadly in decline now! Both were quickly returned and swam off strongly. 

On my club matches in the late late 80’s we noticed a decline,the home venue was the local foreshore all slivers had to be put in a bucket of sea water then weighed,  at the end of the comp on my way home I passed over a bridge and would stop and empty them all in the tidal river got some funny looks from the passing cars tho