Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
snowmanstevo

British Record

Hi I did not make myself clear enough, I grew carp quickly as an experiment, I would not wish to fish for this type of fish myself.

I would far rather fish for naturally grown carp, like the ones I mentioned, grown in undisturbed waters until adult.[I've always maintained that a King carp, bred properly and grown without disturbance with plenty of good quality of food should grow a good frame in its first 16-18years, taking the fish up to 45-50lb average, then it should put weight on taking it to 55-60lb average, this means that most UK carp never reach their potential because of disturbance]

I will go that extra mile to find untapped waters if I suspect they have mature big carp in them.

​But what everyone else choosers to do matters not to me, except if their fishing on other lakes to me, it makes my life far better.

Edited by levigsp

Looks like the BRFC rejected the claim according to Korda's Timeline

The controversial fish known as Big Rig, caught from the Avenue in Shropshire at 69lb 3oz has been rejected the official record by a BRFC committee citing it as a "cultivated fish". 

Getting back to this thread, its interesting to note, that on the mag feature, the fish is described as "Brought in" at 39lb. Little bit ambiguous me thinks. Not willing to publish where it came from

Think it came from Fenland Fisheries mate, same place RH get all there fish from his interview on the carp cast, I know it has been noted as a flyer but the 100kg of pellet he accidently dumped in the stock won't have helped  :lol:

two things. firstly, Hutch ....why you drinking coffee at this time??

And secondly,CM you need to have a little faith, the Swedish flat pack furniture lake near me had a 50 something, that place see's more fly tipping than bait and only a few that brave to actually put the time in as its free and on the edge of town....................though if a natural 50 that just ate 20kg of your bait is a wrong'un i'l retract my post  :mrgreen:

It's officially a wrongun then?.... Anyone know what the rules are on cultivated fish?.... Is there an age limit for when they are stocked?

The reason for turning it down is that it was supplied and fed on with the intention of bringing it to a record weight. I think it was the same reasoning as the trout record, a difference between a natural record and a 'cultivated' record.

In my view it is the correct decision, however there was an ambiguous statement that if it beats the record in the future at a higher weight it may be considered. That just means that the lake owner may choose to feed his lake and hope the fish is caught again.

Rod Hutchinson years ago made the comment that it was possible to bring fish to a big weight by de-stocking and removing fish to allow the bigger fish to continue growing, and I think he also piled in water snails that he bought to give them more natural food, but he also understood a lakes natural biomass, working on the figure of 800lb of fish per acre to allow growth. If it went above that then the fish would stop growing. Remove fish below that figure then they could start growing again.

The reason for turning it down is that it was supplied and fed on with the intention of bringing it to a record weight. I think it was the same reasoning as the trout record, a difference between a natural record and a 'cultivated' record.

In my view it is the correct decision, however there was an ambiguous statement that if it beats the record in the future at a higher weight it may be considered. That just means that the lake owner may choose to feed his lake and hope the fish is caught again.

Rod Hutchinson years ago made the comment that it was possible to bring fish to a big weight by de-stocking and removing fish to allow the bigger fish to continue growing, and I think he also piled in water snails that he bought to give them more natural food, but he also understood a lakes natural biomass, working on the figure of 800lb of fish per acre to allow growth. If it went above that then the fish would stop growing. Remove fish below that figure then they could start growing again.

It did get caught again about a month back at 71 1/4lb. I wonder if they tried to enter it at that weight ? I wouldnt class it as a true record.

It did get caught again about a month back at 71 1/4lb. I wonder if they tried to enter it at that weight ? I wouldnt class it as a true record.

No what Nick touches on is the fact that they did mention that it might not be ruled out for ever .... weights of over 80lb were mentioned ... In my eyes stupid to even mention that it might be eligible in the future, as the owner has already come out saying " right that's the challenge then " .

Makes it all tge more laughable to me !

Edited by chillfactor

No what Nick touches on is the fact that they did mention that it might not be ruled out for ever .... weights of over 80lb were mentioned ... In my eyes stupid to even mention that it might be eligible in the future, as the owner has already come out saying " right that's the challenge then " .

Makes it all tge more laughable to me !

Sounds like theres gonna be a few more "accidental pellet dumps" then. I feel sorry for that fish :(

two things. firstly, Hutch ....why you drinking coffee at this time??

Had baileys in it does that count  :P  :lol:

modern strains beyond the early eighties and probably before are not in the interests of the fish, who knows somewhere n the depths of Billing, there may be a record, but it will be a descendant of a different age and likely twice the age of anything dumped in these profit based hell holes.

Don't believe the histories of Mary or Two Tone for that matter fit this statement  8)

At the time there was a lot of controversy over Chris Yates record, not least because the rules were that the record committee had to view the fish in person, this normally meant the fish was killed and the corpse sent to them, Richard Walker got round that rule by donating Clarissa to London zoo, Chris didn't want to hold the fish until the committee could get to see it (rightly so imo) and certinaly didn't want to kill it, so it was released it later that day after being witnessed and photographed, it died 18 about a year and a half later, some have also said that it was already heavy spawn-bound at the time of the capture which is why it weighed so much.

It took some time and a change of the records committee to a new organisation for his record to be widely accepted.

At the time there was a lot of controversy over Chris Yates record, not least because the rules were that the record committee had to view the fish in person, this normally meant the fish was killed and the corpse sent to them, Richard Walker got round that rule by donating Clarissa to London zoo, Chris didn't want to hold the fish until the committee could get to see it (rightly so imo) and certinaly didn't want to kill it, so it was released it later that day after being witnessed and photographed, it died 18 about a year and a half later, some have also said that it was already heavy spawn-bound at the time of the capture which is why it weighed so much.

It took some time and a change of the records committee to a new organisation for his record to be widely accepted.

Strangely enough it was the fish Chris Yates christened The Bishop as well that he caught.

I have a funny feeling that when it died it was found to be hermaphrodite, although that may be just my memory playing tricks on me, or even a rumour repeated years later.

The thing with all of the Redmire records is that although these fish were most definitely imported, by Donald Leney, and stocked at around 2 or 3 years old, or 6-8 inches in length, they grew on, and most definitely on natural food, not any dumped in. Records from Redmire are 31, 44 and then 51lbs, over a period of 60years.

Now since then any record fish since Mary has been alleged or accused of being a wrong'un, and just some big fish that would be beating Chris Yates record suffer that same fate, and to be honest, some are, while some are natural.

You consider that back in the 1930's there were very few fish farms, Leney and the Surrey Trout Farm was a major exception. Even going through to the 1980's fish farms were few and far between. The water authorities were the earliest fish farms!

Now we have loads, in fact too many to name, and some clubs and waters have stock ponds for on-growing or breeding themselves.

I have a funny feeling that when it died it was found to be hermaphrodite, although that may be just my memory playing tricks on me, or even a rumour repeated years later.

I've got a feeling that's down to a miss identification, it was believed at the time that the bishop was a fish called the old 38 prior to being renamed bishop, but there are records that when the old 38 was caught in 1973 by bob jones it was discharging milt so was a male but after the bishop died it was found to be full of eggs, we will never know the truth of it now but I believe the old 38 and the bishop were different fish.

I've got a feeling that's down to a miss identification, it was believed at the time that the bishop was a fish called the old 38 prior to being renamed bishop, but there are records that when the old 38 was caught in 1973 by bob jones it was discharging milt so was a male but after the bishop died it was found to be full of eggs, we will never know the truth of it now but I believe the old 38 and the bishop were different fish.

I know Rod Hutchinson misidentified, during playing, a fish at 32, which he thought was The 38 that Chris Yates had caught.

This was for some time Hutchy's largest fish.

In fact Chris Yates had The Bishop twice as he had caught it at 38 as well, early in the 1970's, (d'oh, explained that above :o ), so I would imagine Yatesy was sure of his identification of that fish.

It is extremely possible then that if the 32 and the 38 were similar in looks that one may have been male?

Come to that Chris Yates had already rocked the record with a big spawn bound common at 43.

I have read somewhere, but can't remember what book it's in now, that the big common may have came out slightly bigger than Clarrisa, but as it was only ounces over he didn't want to beat Richard Walkers record with a spawn bound fish, so officially under weighed it.

Any books you could recommend on this subject Bishop ?

I'll dig some my books out and have a look through for it, but it might take a while to find, off the top of my head the possible candidates are

Chris Yates books that detail his time at Redmire
Casting at the Sun
4 Seasons
Lost Diary

The Carp Strikes Back Rod Hutchinson (He was on the same syndicate rota as Chris)

History's of Redmire that may have the big common in
Redmire Pool by Kevin Clifford, Len Arbery
King Carp Waters Chris Ball
History of carp fishing Kevin Clifford

A quick look through hasn't shown up much there is a bit in Redmire Pool by Kevin Clifford, Len Arbery where they interview rod in 1983 the common capture comes up he states when it was first caught it was over 44lb but was shedding a lot mucus and liquid while they sorted out the weighing properly. page 84

Not quite the bit I remember so might be somewhere else I'll keep looking.