Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Angel Minkov

Hey, guys. Some tips needed :P

21 posts in this topic

Hello, guys. My name is Angel and I am an amateur carp angler from Bulgaria. I love fishing and grew up doing it on a river perhaps 3 minutes away from our house which we use to go on vacations and relax. Sadly, the villagers don't share the "catch and release" policy like I do - they always take all the fish they catch to either feed their cats, eat or just so they don't release it. In addition, the aforementioned river is simply boiling with illegal fishing methods like using electrical rods and nets. Nobody is doing anything to stop this and I am sure the fish population is severely declining, even though it has been low for a few years now. I also suspect the fish are very wary of any and all disturbances. With all of this said, it has always been a dream of mine to catch a carp on that exact river, ever since I was 5 years old (19 currently). Now, I've caught carp on lakes, usually near our capital, but that was using the pellet waggler method - solid carp around the 5-10 kilo range, but its not as satisfying as landing even a 1 kilo carp on a wild river. The fishermen around the village don't usually chum, don't use dip and attractants, don't use pellets or boilies - they're just people who use fishing as a means to get some food on the table and thus aren't interested in modern techniques or anything, really. Usually they use corn, boiled wheat, bread and worms as bait. I suspect using a waggler and standard baits won't work because of all the small fish on the lake which would get attracted to the small particles. I decided I'd like to fish on standard hair rigs with sweet corn on them. For pre-baiting I plan to use boiled corn, wheat and other seeds. It was recommended to me by an experienced hair rig user here to put corn on the hair itself - 2 sinking corn and 1 pop up. The usual depths are 2-3 metres around the places I'd like to fish. There are a few spots where it can get to perhaps 4 to 5 metres, but they are very few and I've seen no signs of feeding carp there. I was planning on fishing near weeds and lillies on the banks , but I suspect the depths there are around 1 meter at best. 

Any and ALL tips would appreciated. I've asked around every group here, in Bulgaria, for tips, but this river seems to be of no interest to any serious angler and information is basically non-existent... 

I posted this topic in the section for fishing in foreign venues, but it seemed hidden there, so I decided this was a more appropriate place to post it. :) 

Big Common likes this

As a river lover mate, yours looks nice and slow during spring, you need to drag the weed out of a couple of swims with a heavy weed rake, forget the boilies, the fish for food guys have it right, go with corn,dont pop it up fish it on the bottom, fantastic on the float at night, starlit, or bolt rigged with a long tail, 2 feet , and loose feed as you go, prebait for a couple of weeks before you fish, remember the fish will move with the seasons, into the flow to spawn and back off into slacker water as the weather gets cooler, halibut pellets are also an excellent bait on the river but sweetcorn is king.

Thanks for the tips! The temperatures are around 16-18C during the day now, cooling off slowly. Sadly, I can't spend much time on the river to pre-bait :( I can only pre-bait the night before I fish. What would you recommend I feed with? Corn only, or a wide variety of seeds? Maybe some boilies and standard pellets? 

Never found a better bait for the river, i would just go with corn, chances are hemp would get eaten or washed away8 mill halibuts are worth including, the carp love them. Dont be afraid to rake before you fish, it clears weed and the bottom disturbancesends up clouds of mud and food matter, that cloud is like a magnet on the river, good luck mate.

Welcome to Carp.com.

I noticed you are one of the few returning your fish in Bulgaria, although I am sure that catch and release carp fishing is becoming more common place.

Sweetcorn and Maize are great baits for fishing and prebaiting with. As you can only prebait the night before your trip, I would suggest baiting a few areas along your stretch of river, and then if you can having a look to see if the bait is gone when you can actually fish, if it is still there then it's likely the carp haven't visited the area yet. If it's gone it's possible that carp have visited and are still around.

22mm Halibut pellets as your hookbaits may be small fish resistant, at least for ide, roach and small silver fish, big bream may still eat them.

While others say avoid small particles, I like to use them to attract silver fish, as their feeding can draw in the carp, especially if you are on day only trips where spotting fish is difficult. Use a sinking spod or bait dropper to get them down to the river bed. Another way for shorter distances is a length of drainpipe with a metal weight (lead strip collar) on the sinking end and put the particles down it to the bottom.

Big Common likes this

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. If I go fishing, it will most likely be with a single rod for now, so I will only pre-bait 1 spot mostly with maize/sweet corn and some pellets mixed in there. I will use sweet corn on my hair rig and cast it with a PVA bag so I reduce the chance of getting caught up in weed and having a bad presentation. I'd love to clear out some weed, but the technique is still so foreign to me. I don't know any good carp anglers and reading about all of those techniques - from measuring depths, the river terrain, searching for holes, sinking spods... All of those are so new to me, as I have no friends who fish, we don't have magazines or good shows on TV. Its all good reading about it, but actually seeing it and learning it from someone in real life is so much better, hope you understand what I mean :P I'd clear the weeds, but the splashes will definitely spook the fish, which are seemingly very few already. Catching a carp on this river would be a miracle. Probably a handful of carp have been caught in the past decade around the place where I fish, mainly by luck while some villager was float fishing with some corn. I hope I can save up money and gear up this winter with some decent carp gear for an amateur, and upgrade as time passes and I learn ^^ 

Big Common likes this

Hi Angel,

It sounds like you alreday are doing things right! Prebaiting the day before is definately worth the effort and will help you catch. I would pick a few nice looking areas and put in 1-2kg of bait on each spot and then fish each spot for 2-3 hours with just a little bait the next day.

Corn and seeds will work and can be very effective for 'wild' river carp but I would also use some pellet and some good quality boilies too and they are just so attractive to ALL carp.

If you are having difficulty getting good quality carp bait then just stick with the corn but use plenty of it. The other fish such as Chub, Barbel, Roach, Asp etc. will eat the corn too, so use plenty. Dried maize that has been soaked and boiled can be a great 'wild' river bait. Fish 3-4 grains on the hair with a piece of plastic corn on the end.

Above all, use STRONG gear! River fish can be very powerful and in your country very big!

I hope this helps and good luck mate!

salokcinnodrog likes this

Thank you for the tips! I have been having trouble with finding a way to visit the river, but perhaps next weekend I will be able to finally! I will pre-bait heavily, as you suggested. Actually, I just recalled an event I had forgotten - a few years ago tons of wheat were dumped in the river (wheat which was eaten by mice or had molded, or was just unusable in any way). It was right next to the bridge at the end of our village. Carp gathered there and I must say I saw some MASSIVE carp. I could bet my life there were 30+ kilogram carp there. They weren't taking anything, as they had tons of wheat to eat, and to top it all off at the bridge pillars there are always fallen trees, bushes and other snags which would make catching one of those carp simply impossible - you'd have to use the type of fishing gear they use for huge saltwater fish to prevent them from going into all of those fallen trees. Also, I remember a place where there were always decent sized carp near a fallen tree (sadly, it was around 8 years ago or so, I was too young to know how to fish properly), but after they cut down the forest behind the margins the fish disappeared I think. It was a place where an old friend used to fish, he was the person who got me into fishing. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago after succumbing to cancer. Wish I could show him the carp I'm catching now on other venues... I'll try fishing with corn and boilies when I visit the river, using PVA bags with pellets as well, just to make sure I have bait around my hook! I will update next week :)  

Though I can't really add any tips, I do wish you the best of luck & hope you managed to bag a big wild one (thats gonna be one hell of a fight). Keep us updated, as this will be an intresting one to read.

I visited the river this weekend and I barely saved the blank... I could see no carp signs - no fish on the surface, no splashes, no balloons, nothing. I went by the river the first night for about 2 hours with a single bottom bait rod - PVA bag full of chopped and whole daiwa boilies + critically balanced bait, consisting of a Nash pineapple crush 15mm boilie + half a citruz pop-up. Absolutely nothing. I tried float fishing the next day - first I mixed up around 2 kilos of groundbait and threw around 5 orange-sized balls in the water in a place near the bridge and some overhanging trees. I fished with maggots and I only had small fish. I tried barbel, chub etc fishing on a different spot with fast-moving waters. Similar strategy, but the result didn't differ much... I feel like I'll never catch a carp on this river. I've tried since I was 10 years old probably, not I'm 19 and it looks like every year I'm getting further and further from that goal. I can't catch them in the summer, so there is no way in hell I'll catch them during winter, so I guess this year's carp mission is a failure as well. Hope I can have some good barbel/chub/nose carp results.

As above mate, dont give up, my local river the Nene, just find where the flow is least and prebait for a couple of weeks before you fish, the carp need to maintain energy during the cold months, the flow ensures that they need to keep eating, its not a lake, but they will bunch at a point which requires the least expense of energy during a time when naturals are at a premium, sweetcorn is king, forget the boilies, location is everything, but listen to what i am telling you and it should not be a problem. It is without doubt the most difficult form of carp fishing, you will jump in the air when you get one, and you will, the value of capture will live with you forever or at least untill your next, good luck Angel i wish some of our members could share your elation, times forgotten.

Ghost hunter likes this

I visited the river this weekend and I barely saved the blank... I could see no carp signs - no fish on the surface, no splashes, no balloons, nothing. I went by the river the first night for about 2 hours with a single bottom bait rod - PVA bag full of chopped and whole daiwa boilies + critically balanced bait, consisting of a Nash pineapple crush 15mm boilie + half a citruz pop-up. Absolutely nothing. I tried float fishing the next day - first I mixed up around 2 kilos of groundbait and threw around 5 orange-sized balls in the water in a place near the bridge and some overhanging trees. I fished with maggots and I only had small fish. I tried barbel, chub etc fishing on a different spot with fast-moving waters. Similar strategy, but the result didn't differ much... I feel like I'll never catch a carp on this river. I've tried since I was 10 years old probably, not I'm 19 and it looks like every year I'm getting further and further from that goal. I can't catch them in the summer, so there is no way in hell I'll catch them during winter, so I guess this year's carp mission is a failure as well. Hope I can have some good barbel/chub/nose carp results.

At least you're catching something, and you said the river had been fished heavily so you're doing ok. In addition to baiting several spots you like, I'd save at least one spot to try with single hookbaits and only a couple of freebies in the area. You can pile bait in but you can't take it out. If you keep going back and fishing for the other species you're catching now, you could well catch an incidental carp when you don't expect it. Keep it up and let us know how it goes. [emoji106]

For me to have any chance I'll have to start investing in 3 rods and 3 reels, to cover more ground. Currently I have an awful kit... Even if I got a bite I doubt I'll be able to land the fish. I was thinking of using the Daiwa Emcast Carp rods and the Daiwa Black Widow reels. What do you guys think of these? I have a very tight budget, so I'll need quite a lot of time to get the money, but I think I'll manage before next summer :) 

Any reel with a decent drag will work, get a net and find something to use as an unhooking mat (slab of foam and heavy-duty garbage bag works). Where I am we can only use 1 rod and it isn't a serious issue. I'd like to be able to use a 2nd rod (maybe a fly rod) just to alleviate the boredom when they aren't biting.

I really like Daiwa as a brand, all of their products seem very solid and worth their money. Here, you can use up to 3 rods at a time on public fisheries. On private ponds, lakes, dams etc you can use more if the occupier allows it. If these rods are good for carping, I'll snatch them for sure when I have the chance. I wouldn't want to buy something which isn't appropriate. 

I've never used Daiwa bait but their tackle is superb. Especially rods and reels...

Both Shimano and Daiwa make reels and rods to sell across the whole market, so their names are on a lot of cheap stuff too. I've had a lot of it, but when I started getting good carp reels I went with Shimano.

I've never had either. I know Shimano are excellent. I have a direct Shimano telescope, 4 m. long. I bought it some years ago... I have to say - I love it! I enjoy fishing with it so much. Its light, bends very well when a fish is hooked, its absolutely a joy to use. But it looks like I'll be using strictly Daiwa products for now :P