Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

neenon

what to look for when choosing a swim

11 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am new to carp fishing (I have a fair bit of experience fly fishing and general coarse). Just starting to fish a small lake with a reasonable head of fish mostly mid doubles. I have walked the lake a few times and used a marker float/lead on a couple of swims. There are lots of fishy looking areas (pads, loads of weed) but I have never seen fish fizzing, rolling etc. Do you have any advice on how to pick a swim for my first session?

I'd definitely cast to fish.... If distance allows flick a small lead out and see what your fishing over,Clip up and put a rig on..... One bit of advice,if your going to spook them,do it with bait. Don't worry so much about depth. Catty some bait out,find what your fishing over and go for it.

If it's a small lake, then you won't be too far away from the fish regardless, so just get fishing. You will soon learn where they are just by being there. The biggest feature on any lake is it's margin's. I would be looking at areas of water that get the lions share of the sun, myself, to start. Fish a rod close in and one further out with solid bags. Fish for liners on the furthest and keep your eyes peeled. You will build a picture up the more visits you have. The more time spent there the more signs you will see. If you are fishing day time only, then it's worth staying an extra hour into darkness.

hnv and crusian like this

Some good advice there already...

If you can't see any signs of fish then start at a likely looking area that may hold carp or likely to have carp patrol through it.

Lilly pads are always a good bet, bait the edges and fish close to the pads (fish with a fairly tight clutch and be ready to grab the rod as soon as you get an indication). As big common has suggested, I would also fish the margins as the carp will be sure to patrol around them.

You'll soon suss out where the fish are after a couple of trips.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the advice. Plenty of things for me to try. The lake is pretty weedy so do.you think I should use a chod rig?

Thanks very much for the advice. Plenty of things for me to try. The lake is pretty weedy so do.you think I should use a chod rig?

Try and find one or two clear or clearer spots, there will be some. I would personally use a solid bag into a clear spot. But that's just my preference. Learning the lake as you go is a big part of it for me. So like I said, the more you fish , the more you learn about the place. You've probably got three or four weeks before things start to slow down drastically due to temperatures dropping. So if I were you, I might try to use this time to feed a small spot and see if the fish will clean the area up a bit for you. You won't need to pile it in, few broken boilies and some hemp seed just a few handfuls every few days should get them rooting around a bit, and if so, will create an area where you can present a hook bait. Just get stuck in mate you'll learn a bit more each time you go.

I personally don't really use a chod, unless they are showing at range on an area where I'm not sure what I'm fishing over. But each to their own.

Best of luck.

crusian likes this

Look for the most worn out parts of the bank.

Regular visitors to the lake who subsequently "know it" are unlikely to fish the swims that are least productive.

A well worn swim will tend to indicate where the fish are likely to be.

Big Common likes this

So if i find a new lake i want to fish i will probably try and walk around it once or twice before my session, I will take a marker rod with me and look for some features, look for showing fish and find out what they are sitting over. Doesnt matter if you spoke them when your not fishing.

The lake i currently fish is pretty close to work so sometimes i go over on my lunch break and do some marker work in swims i havent fished or havent fished in a long time.