Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
phildalton1982

Embarrassing angling events

Anyone have any embarrassing things happen to them or done?

Mine was fishing my park lake, its very narrow with overhanging trees on far bank. Cast straight in a tree, pulled for a break, rig came loose, flew at me, i ducked hit bank flew through fence across park park (lucky no one was walking) ended up in bushes other side of path. So there i am covered in line, reeling line back on across the path and my mate says what you doing lakes that way!!.

Another one i witnessed was my brother when we were kids, his alarm started screaming he legged it picked rod up, tripped and fell in, turned out to be a tench!!

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

bet we have all done this one, chatting to the pool bailiff once while baiting a rig, got it ready to my satisfaction and prepared to launch, conscious of being watched my stance was perfect, rod over right shoulder with a good drop on it, eye on my mark and whack!!!!!!!!!

hooked into the bush behind me :oops: :oops:

Just because I know some of you will like this!

I once finished a barbecue in Devon and made the unwise decision fueled by wine to return to the lake I was fishing and do the night (I am sure some of you will have worked out where I am talking about by now lol).

After a longer than normal walk back down the hill following the meager beam from my headtorch I found my bivvy and proceded to flick two baits delicately into position and collapsed into the bivvy for a snooze dreaming of being awoken soon by a decnt fish.

Cut to 5.20 in the morning and as the sun rises I can clearly see the line from the tips of my rods curving gently onto the nearby island without even touching the water and the constant twitches and bleeps I had been recieving obviously caused by the rats.

This would not in itself be embarrassing but I am afraid several other people including the baliff saw this before I had the chance to retrieve the rigs and pretend it hadnt happend.

Now reffered to in a certain Devon holiday destination as rat fishing !

I cracked off once giving the biggun saying look how far i can cast

i too have cracked one off when casting, once when i was particularly ill and deffo should not have been on the bank as i launched a long cast my stomach cramped, i cracked one off and then followed thru,,,,, good job i had a change of gear :lol:

I was fishing on St johns at linear a while back and decided too get my head down for an early night I was led on my bed dozing off when I had a single bleep on bite alarm I flew up off my bed but both my legs had gone totally dead for some reason and I just fell out of the Bivvy and almost rolled into the lake lol I must say I even started laughing, quite embarrassing though as their were a few other anglers on the opposite side and I heard one of them say "what a show up" haha I had too crawl back into my bivvy??

I started fishing as a kid with a fishing set from Woolworths. The only other real angler in the family was an uncle in Chelmsford who was a very good match angler.

When I was about 8 or 9 I was shipped up there for a weekends proper fishing. The first day we were fishing a lake in the middle of a park somewhere and my uncle had given me a 12 foot match rod to use (the first time I had used a rod longer than 6 foot).

All was going well and I had caught a few skimmers and roach. I thought I had got to grips with this beast of a rod. After catching another skimmer my hook was rebaited and I began to cast. The cast felt a little heavy so I gave it a bit more stick, next thing I see a kids flip flop sailing into the lake!

Somehow I had managed to hook a kid of about 2 or 3 years old flip flop and whip it off his foot and into to the lake!

Well this is a throwback to when i was on my first fishing trip with my dad (6 years old ) (dad was telling me today ) , we was fishing on deal pier. Dad baited up and casted over the side and left if . Then the rod started to twitch so i struck it and doing what my dad said .

We got the fish in and it was a bullen wrass . Dad un hooked it and through it over . I started to cry because i thought i hurt it and its feelings .

Looking back now its kinda funny .

tight lines

dave

My mates dad was a very good match angler, we went fishing once and he said he had borrowed his dads quiver rod. Very expensive was this rod, so my mate waving it about like a nutter saying its really powerful and expensive, i saw the tip section fly off into the lake. He was cacking it i can tell you

I went fishing up Scotland once, and I live in Wales... When we got there we realised I forgot my tackle box. Not impressed

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Tackle box hahaha!! i once planned a trip with my fishing buddy and as i got off the phone i fully intended to pack the car ready for an early start in the morning.

over the course of the evening and a few drinkypoo's i even built a few new rigs up and put them in my wallet.

4am alarm goes off and i am on the road within half an hour and on the way to worcester with the rising sun just poking over the horizon and burning my retina's with all the promise of a glorious summer day to come.

i was feeling rather apprehensive about the prospect of a new (to me) lake and had that all to familiar watery feeling in my gut, you know the one you get when you have forgotten something important?

yep!! thats right, that feeling was brought on by a nagging mental picture of my gear all stacked neatly by the front door where i had put it ready to load the night before and i was only 5 miles from the lake too :o:lol:

When i was about 12 i badgered my dad to drive me to a lake before work which was half hour away. He agreed, this lake was full of golden orfe, nice place for a youngster, on a farm, middle of nowhere. So my dad drops me off, i say bye, got to start tackling up, have everything apart from my reel!!! Back in the days with no mobiles, he's off to work.

Went to farm, got them to ring my dad at work, he had to come back, not impressed i can tell you

I have left my tackle box at home a few times, borrowed a car to go pick it up, had someone drop it off, and driven in my car over the years.

Fallen in a few times, although the most embarrassing was going round the lake after school when I was 14 or 15, still in school uniform to put a few tins of Sweetcorn in for prebaiting in a sneaky area where I shouldn't have been.

Did the over arm swing with a can of Sweetcorn to spread it around the area, and slipped losing my shoe into the lake in the process.

As it fluttered down in the water I leant forward to try to catch it, and fell in up to my chest.

I pulled myself out, and had to walk home soaking wet with only one shoe.

Not sure how I explained that one :oops:

Years ago I used to fish a small local stream for trout.

Very overgrown and finding a decent spot to be able to swing a worm out was difficult.

One day I borrowed my then girlfriends little brothers new rod and reel, it was only small (the rod not her brother) and would make an ideal tool for the nooks and crannies that I would be fishing. It was brand new, he'd only had it a week or so and it was his pride and joy.

Went down said stream and spotted a lovely thick branch that I could climb out on which gave me a perfect position to fish a particular glide.

Got half way across, dropped my bait in and watched my line as the worm slowly freelined it's way downstream.

Just as it got to "the spot" I started to lose my balance and had to grab the branch above me to stop myself falling in.

Dropped the rod and reel, never to be seen again.

Cost me a bit, that trip.

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Went to Bosherston lily ponds back in July to do a bit of pike fishing for the 1st time.Just took my bass lures and a 9ft,15-40g spinning rod..had a couple of casts here and there and then found a nice spot with a channel thru the lily pads...2 casts later and i had a heck of a take and it was pike on☺,then the fun started.i took 1 step forward and i was in the pond up to my chest lol...i slammed my left hand on something and it swelled up like a ball and had a half golf ball sized lump on my right shin,was in right pain innit lol...

I didnt leave the rod go at all tho and after 5 mins of calming down and trying to stop shaking i reeled in my 1st ever pike and what a buzz,not sure on weight but i gave myself 7lb...

had some funny looks walking back to the car with blood running down me legs,cant wait to go again☺

The drive back to Swansea was not at all pleasant!!!!

Edited by carpjack

I have over the years done all sorts of daft things when it comes to fishing, but embarrassing to me doesn't mean forgetting things etc, I find the following type of things embarrassing.

I was fishing a public lake in Berkshire, often known as the "dark park" A call of nature saw me in the woods behind the lake doing what's natural, all well and good till I stood up and flashed everything I have at a middle aged woman and her daughter, as if that wasn't bad enough, she had the Police down to me!!!

Or how about the time I fell in the river, got out totally stripped and started to dry myself only to find a woman pushing a pram watching me! a short while later I was showing someone what happened when I fell in again and repeated the flashing this time to two pram pushers!!

Edited by levigsp

I have over the years done all sorts of daft things when it comes to fishing, but embarrassing to me doesn't mean forgetting things etc, I find the following type of things embarrassing.

I was fishing a public lake in Berkshire, often known as the "dark park" A call of nature saw me in the woods behind the lake doing what's natural, all well and good till I stood up and flashed everything I have at a middle aged woman and her daughter, as if that wasn't bad enough, she had the Police down to me!!!

Or how about the time I fell in the river, got out totally stripped and started to dry myself only to find a woman pushing a pram watching me! a short while later I was showing someone what happened when I fell in again and repeated the flashing this time to two pram pushers!!

you will have to watch that frank, it can get habit forming :wink::lol:

Ive now got one :/

When I was getting out my bivvy yesterday to recast the rods I found an old chat standing 2 feet away, which completely put me off & just as I stood up I slipped & landed on my back & began sliding down the bank. Abit red faced & fuming, I managed to recast & as he lefted I got back in the bivvy to change, lick my wounds (not ritually) & swear abit. It all seemed to copy me as after that everything went downhill.

So about ten years ago I saw  the same nurse three times in one week, normally I would not mind, but this was for fishing related injuries and it happened to be a he nurse.

The first I think I posted photos on here was a size 4/00 treble hook in my calf, the second was the removal of a size 14 treble out of the back of my head and the third was a size 6 treble out of my backside[that was sat on and hurt], I truly hope I never meet Harrold again!

Edited by levigsp

A few years back I went off on a fly fishing session, I walked about a mile through some paddocks until I got to the spot I wanted to fish.   All was good for a few hours, until I tried to cross the river in a spot just a touch too deep.   I went under briefly and my chest waders filled up with water.   It wasn't a warm day, so I got out of the river and removed the waders..I looked at walking the mile back to the car and decided I should take a short cut across some farm fields, which wasn't a very wise decision.      In order to get across the fields I had to cross two electric fences.   The first one I tried to crawl under and got zapped on the back of my head and then on my back.  I jumped around like a lunatic after that.    The next electric fence I thought I'd be smart and straddle the electric wire....that was possibly the dumbest thing I've ever done....I got zapped right in the crown jewels!   Flap me, did that hurt! It hurt even more because I grabbed the wire to get it away from my bits and bobs.  I got over the fence and then I stripped off my trousers and pants to check everything was still there...thankfully no one saw a mad Englishman swearing to himself and playing with his wedding tackle in the middle of a field.