Winter pursuits.

I know a few people on here chat about their non-carp fishing, I thought as winter is coming it might be nice to see what everyone is up to over the colder period. Who's sticking it out and keeping on at the carp, and who has other plans?

I'm planning a winter of as much variety as I can get! I'm going to do some river fishing for chub, roach, pike etc, some canal and lake fishing for perch and pike, and whatever else comes along in the mean time. Also a fair bit of carp too, but from the first to last frosts this will be limited. Unless we get snow. I have decided that if this happens I'll be straight out after a snow carp!

My main thing is to be trying different methods. One thing I will not be doing is sitting behind bite alarms for any other species. If I want to do this I'll be carping. For pike I'm going to live and dead bait under floats, as well as a bit of lure work maybe. For chub and other river fish it'll be float trotting with a centre pin, and I do have a drop shot kit too for perch and most likely small pike.

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be nice to pop out for a few hours here and there without the required planning and commitment of a 2 or 3 day carp trip. Some nice chub and perch on light gear will be fun too.

So, what is everyone else up to??

I will be mixing it up!

Pike and big roach on the reservoir, carping on my multiple days, and probably pike and chub on a Norfolk river, probably some centre pin stick float fishing and maybe even chub and barbel hoping on The Lea, with one on the lead and one on stick.

I must admit that I will likely still be sticking the 2nd rod for any species on a buzzer, as it means if float fishing as I do for pike, or even with the stick float, I can have an audible tone for the ledger rod.

I really want to try and make the time to go after some perch this winter.

But I need to keep plugging away at my club lake.

Had over 30 carp this season and not had any over 20.

At least 2 20s are coming out every week so I know there are plenty in there.

It's become a bit of an obsession now.

Edited by muftyboy

I really want to try and make the time to go after some perch this winter.

But I need to keep plugging away at my club lake.

Had over 30 carp this season and not had any over 20.

At least 2 20s are coming out every week so I know there are plenty in there.

It's become a bit of an obsession now.

Could be worse, I've only had 1 carp from the Lagoons this year, albeit that was over 24lb, a few more from another lake on the venue.

I just can't get onto the big fish. One weekend I packed up on Sunday morning. The biggie was caught that evening from the swim I was fishing that weekend!

Could be worse, I've only had 1 carp from the Lagoons this year, albeit that was over 24lb, a few more from another lake on the venue.

I just can't get onto the big fish. One weekend I packed up on Sunday morning. The biggie was caught that evening from the swim I was fishing that weekend!

Aren't the lagoons rock hard?.

Somebody told they fished them for a couple of years and they were so hard that when they baited up with boilies they just bounced off the water.

I will be continuing my battle with my local lakes, as most know I blanked from June all the way up until this week, I know the lakes hold some very big fish and now the buzz is well and truly back after having one out so I will get down there as often as possible all the way through, some will also know I have unfinished business with bayeswater day ticket lake so I shall try to fit in a few sessions down there too. Hopefully I will have some nice fish to my name over the autum/winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't the lagoons rock hard?.

Somebody told they fished them for a couple of years and they were so hard that when they baited up with boilies they just bounced off the water.

Put it this way, rock hard baits get crushed :wink:

Mine too mate, i reckon the lay off makes me want to go more later, dunno about S.A.D., MORE like COLD.

As much as I enjoy my carping, I hate to admit I class myself as a fair weather fisherman.....although I certainly don't mind if it rains whilst I'm out, in fact I prefer it.

Once the clocks go back, I more or less forget about fishing, certainly no nights for me.

I personally cannot see the point in fishing with darkness setting in from 4 in the afternoon until 7 the next morning.

But each to their own.

I'm after a few different fish mate. I want to catch my first chub from the river. I can see this being the hardest challenge. Another is a double figure pike, I've had a double on before but the lure popped out of its mouth just before getting it in the net!!! I'll probably try a bit of dead baiting next time though. 2lb+ perch is on the list as well, I'll try live baiting minnows or maybe dropshotting on the canal for it :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have done the same thing for some years, I spend most of the winter shooting with the occasional hour floater fishing for carp.

I only fish for an hour or two on sunny warmer days with not a breath of wind and more often then not I fail, but when I catch I'm over the moon.

I used to do a lot of Zig fishing in winter but its not active or visible enough for me on winter days.