Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Mallet

Does using a mallet to whack bank sticks and pegs in spook the fish near your swim? I've heard it does and doesn't from anglers on the lakes I fish but was wondering what people on here thought of it?

For me it does, its more to do with the vibrations than the actual bang, it might not if you are pitched up really far back from the lake, but lake side it will detracted from your chances.

why do you need a mallet for? push pegs and stick in. tread on them if the ground is tough. I'd never use one. fish will spook feeling the vibrations of your footsteps, going whack-a-peg in your swim is the kiss of death IMO, worse if you whack your banksticks in the margins!

Nah, no thanks. Those that said it didn't are the same ones that blame it on the bait for blanking (and they use Cell or Manilla or Krill or Tuna, etc)

If your fishing alone it's your choice if you want too use a mallet but if their are other anglers around it's bad etiquette and makes you look like a pleb too any one with good Bankside etiquette. I personally just wanna go home if someone turns up and starts using a mallet get loads of morons at linear that do it, they automatically get labelled as bell ends and Il move away from them asap if I can.

I think it's water dependent as with most things. I've seen fish turn up to investigate bank side disturbance, I've also seen them spook away from even minimal disturbance. I've also caught 5 or so minutes after a dog went for a swim in front of me whilst stalking it.

Personal choice that I don't carry one. As I'd prefer not to take the chance of scaring them off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Or fold a hand towel/item of clothing and use it as a buffer.

Not sure about an item of clothing mate I'm already scruffy enough :lol:

I reckon anglers removing bucket lids is far more noisy than a rubber mallet. I've probably had to use a mallet a couple of times in the last few years so it isn't very common you need one .

I'll hammer in 6 or 8 lengths of electrical conduit to support tent flys for a sun shade like a nomad in the desert, pound each one in 18" or more with a mahoosive cross-peen hammer, about a 3 pounder. Nick's seen pictures of my set-ups. [emoji12] [emoji776] Nobody over here cares, they don't know any better. At one swim it doesn't matter, they're used to freight trains, at another on the big lake we're fishing at range, but at my favourite swim I know they spook somewhat easily, so if I make a sharp loud noise it can cost a few hours of bite time.

Two of my pet hates.... banksticks/bivvy pegs being hammered in and alarms going off non stop when people are setting up their bobbins, reeling slack line in etc.

That's why I'll always use a pod, and will only take a shelter if it is absolutely essential.

It's also why I use alarms with a simple toggle on/off switch rather than a load of push buttons.

Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age.....

I've seen carp spook as a result of a heavy foot step, let alone a mallet. I guess it depends on what types of water you fish. I cannot get away with scaring carp on the waters I normally fish, it might take me a day to find them again.

In my book a mallet is a complete no-go. Even on an overstocked puddle it'll kill it for a couple of hours.

Same goes for big bright torches.

Totally agree. These shelters lit up like a Crimbo tree with your latest Ridge Monkey floodlights always make me chuckle.

At one swim it doesn't matter, they're used to freight trains

I disagree bud, they may be used to freight trains, overhead planes, factory noise etc, but a mallet will still sound completely alien and very threatening indeed IMO.

I honestly thought it was widely accepted that mallets are heavily frowned upon.

A carp that knows you're there is a hundred times harder to catch in my experience.

It sounds like you are all using the mallet in the wrong way.

Every time you go out and pre bait your swim or chuck in some groundbait, hit the ground hard with the mallet. The carp then associate the sound of the mallet with food and start salivating just like Pavlof's dogs,

Edited by carpepecheur

The problem with shooting fish in a barrel is they get canny, but even then we get them. I go out and drill through a foot or 2 of ice with a noisey gas auger and catch perch and pike and walleye and burbot almost immediately directly beneath, but there's another extreme: Where my uncle was a game warden near Swastika, Ontario he took me fishing on a local lake shore where we didn't catch anything, but he told me about his favourite place but said he couldn't take me because I'd spook the fish. Deep in the forest, he said, there was a pool that wasn't too wide but extremely deep, and he would crawl on his hands and knees to get within casting range to put a fly on the surface, but if he accidently snapped a twig on his approach all these massive trout (can't remember what kind), would go straight to the bottom and not eat for days.

When I quit working on the railway I kept a few tools, including a spike mallet. (There was an accident once where I clipped an old fella (a year older than I am now) with one of those, breaking his jaw and smashing his false teeth, lucky he wasn't killed).

It's not mate,I've seen people use mallets and still catch. As Yonny said,I think it's like an alarm bell ringing for the carp ..... just my opinion,but an edgy carp is a harder carp to catch.

Edited by snowmanstevo