Mallet

jh92

There's a difference between disturbance and noise/vibration. I understand that after faffing about getting the ideal cast/baiting up your rod rattled off,but I think for every one occasion that happened there's a fair few times it's spooked them. My opinion of corse !

There's a difference between disturbance and noise/vibration. I understand that after faffing about getting the ideal cast/baiting up your rod rattled off,but I think for every one occasion that happened there's a fair few times it's spooked them. My opinion of corse !

Yes n no, we will never know

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Then dancing naked around the fire pit singing carpy carpy where can you be, oh hang on thats friday night......

Rob and I dancing a jig on the bank with He's In the Jailhouse Now from the O' Brother soundtrack blasting on the stereo.. Saskcarp was horrified! :shock:

What about water disturbance? Moorhens, leads, geese landing? Scare the fish?

Yes ,they do.

This is also water dependant. I was walking round a water the other week and there were fish surfacing and rolling in the middle of the ducks.

There are no hard amd fast rules for any water and, in my opinion, your limiting yourself if you turn up with preconceived ideas to a new water.

Look, listen and learn, it's the only way :wink:

i would never ever dream of using a mallet bankside, if i was in the position that i needed to bang in the pegs i would just scout around for a log to use.

my thinking is twofold on this.

1) logs are there naturally and the fish should be used to them

2) they are naturally cammo and as we all know, CARP CANT SEE CAMMO :lol:

I must admit I have not found a swim where I can't screw my bivvy pegs in yet, despite some of the swims being hardcore!

If I have to attach my bivvy to the wooden swim frame, then I have cup hooks.

Saying that, the ground last winter was so soft and wet at times, my screwed in pegs got ripped out in the wind, should have got some longer pegs.

I hate the thought of having to mallet pegs in to get them to stay, and I have seen fish spook from those who do. It may not stop you from catching on 'long distance' swims, but on close in ones I am sure that the disturbance puts them off.

I did a little experiment once. I found a group of fish milling about at very close range (2 feet from bank). I shouted at them, no movement. I then screamed at the top of my voice (no one on the lake and I wasn't fishing), no response. I then lightly tapped the ground with the toe of my boot and they erupted and shot off in all directions.

Sounds don't travel easily from air to water but vibrations in the ground are easily detected as they transfer into the water. A fishes lateral line organ is highly sensitive and is used to detect vibrations. A carp' s lateral line is highly developed, odd for a largely non-predatory species.

• 2 weeks later...

why do you need a mallet for? push pegs and stick in. tread on them if the ground is tough. I'd never use one. fish will spook feeling the vibrations of your footsteps, going whack-a-peg in your swim is the kiss of death IMO, worse if you whack your banksticks in the margins!

Nah, no thanks. Those that said it didn't are the same ones that blame it on the bait for blanking (and they use Cell or Manilla or Krill or Tuna, etc)

Had some very good results of manilla pop ups mate and also there boilies with paste, I suppose it's what ever you trust and have faith in ey

I did a little experiment once. I found a group of fish milling about at very close range (2 feet from bank). I shouted at them, no movement. I then screamed at the top of my voice (no one on the lake and I wasn't fishing), no response. I then lightly tapped the ground with the toe of my boot and they erupted and shot off in all directions.

Sounds don't travel easily from air to water but vibrations in the ground are easily detected as they transfer into the water. A fishes lateral line organ is highly sensitive and is used to detect vibrations. A carp' s lateral line is highly developed, odd for a largely non-predatory species.

Sound I guess can 'bounce' off the lake surface, whereas vibration is likely more obviously predatory.

It is why herons, and the like, stand perfectly still until a fish comes close enough to be stabbed at at great speed.

• 4 weeks later...