Just in case you missed it (as it was hidden in another thread).......

smufter

This is where I will be doing most of my fishing from now on....

http://www.whitecottagelake.co.uk/

About half an hours drive from my front door and it's absolutely beautiful. 

I went for a viewing and a chat with the bailiff yesterday morning, and fell in love with it (the water not the bailiff!!) as soon as I saw it.

As natural a lake as you could wish to fish, and the ideal size for my type of fishing.

Lots of open water, and plenty of features too, with lily pads, reed beds, overhanging branches etc.

It's not a syndicate as such, but a members water where you buy tickets to fish your preferred session. 

No day tickets issued, secure parking, and a smashing members lodge with coffee/tea making facilities, a microwave for those all important bankside meals, and a super shower room with heated floor! 

I've been offered "midweek" membership for the moment, which allows me to fish from Sunday PM to Friday AM and that suits me fine. I get a day off work in the week, usually Wednesdays so it shouldn't be a problem fitting a 24 hour session in from time to time. I work every Saturday and some Sundays, so week-ends are tricky for me right now anyway.

Membership costs me £100.00 for a year (from when I join) dropping to £80.00 in subsequent years if I renew before my subscription ends.

I can phone and book a particular swim in advance and know it is going to be ready for me to fish as soon as I turn up, which is great.

Steve, (the bailiff), says it can get busy at the week-end but it is very quiet during the week, in fact there was nobody on the lake at all yesterday when I went to look around, despite it being a perfect day for putting the rods out.

I can't wait. Have completed the application form, sent it off together with a couple of photo's (you get issued with an ID card) and my cheque.

With a bit of luck, and a favourable wind, I should be fishing it within the next 7-10 days.

No more hooded chavs with their alarms going off all day, or the sound of bivvy pegs/bank sticks being hammered in right next to me.....

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Oh! Another benefit of membership is that I get issued with 4 "guest tickets" per year.

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Looks gorgeous mate, lovely estate lake, you will enjoy that.

Can't wait.

I'll stick to a few shorter daylight sessions at first to get to know the swims and layout before letting myself loose over there in the dark!!

With the lower joining fee than a syndicate, and the ability to book swims in advance, it should fit in with my lifestyle perfectly.

I can't go fishing as often as I'd like due to work commitments, so to tie up a large amount of money in a syndicate water which is then "wasted" if I can't fish for a month or two seems a bit counter productive.

This still has the benefits of a syndi but without the financial commitment up front.

Lovely looking lake , so do you have to pay for the session on top each time , I only ask as the website isn't very clear as it states 120hrs cost £120 but if you can join for a year at £100 why would anyone pay £120 ??.  

p.s there looks to be some stunning looking fish in there !

You do pay a session fee on top of your "membership" but as I won't be doing 120 hours, the £120.00 won't ever bother me!

12 hour session is £15.00 and a 24 is £30.00

On a par with other fisheries around here, but they aren't "member exclusive" so you can end up with a right prat fishing next/opposite you, and can't guarantee a decent swim.

Basically it's costing me £80 a year to be "noddy free".

You not bothered by the swim booking rule Smufterino?? What if you show up and the carp aint there?

Edit; does indeed look like a lovely place to angle.

If you want to swap swims half way through you can. You just need to text the booking office and let them know you want to swap.

As long as nobody else is booked into that swim later in the day it's no problem.

There are only 8 swims, all with names (Red Tree, Bench, Well, that sort of thing) so you are going to soon work out your favourite.

Like I say, I'll book up a 12 hour day session initially, maybe trying all 8 swims to see which I prefer.

Also there was nobody else fishing there yesterday so I can't see it being a problem.

If you want to swap swims half way through you can. You just need to text the booking office and let them know you want to swap.

As long as nobody else is booked into that swim later in the day it's no problem.

There are only 8 swims, all with names (Red Tree, Bench, Well, that sort of thing) so you are going to soon work out your favourite.

Like I say, I'll book up a 12 hour day session initially, maybe trying all 8 swims to see which I prefer.

Also there was nobody else fishing there yesterday so I can't see it being a problem.

Does look stunning the booking swim thing would be my only concern as my favourite peg is the one with fish in front of it. Don't think could get my head round not been able to move to an empty swim because it's booked by somebody later on. Looks like it would be good stalking water but if you carnt move round freely that's not an option either. But if suits you happy days and good luck.

Does look stunning the booking swim thing would be my only concern as my favourite peg is the one with fish in front of it. Don't think could get my head round not been able to move to an empty swim because it's booked by somebody later on. Looks like it would be good stalking water but if you carnt move round freely that's not an option either. But if suits you happy days and good luck.

I'm a firm believer in that for every fish you can see, there are a dozen more swimming around that you can't.

Like I say, if I am fishing in one swim that is not producing, I can contact the booking office and if the swim that has a lot of fizzing or showing fish in it is free they will give me the all clear to move.

I haven't got a problem with that.

When I go to France and fish The Retreat, I tend to fish the same swim all the time and work on the basis that sooner or later during the session, fish are going to move in.

I need to get to know this lake before I find my favourite swim, and to be honest, that isn't always the one with showing fish in it!

:wink:

I'm a firm believer in that for every fish you can see, there are a dozen more swimming around that you can't.

Like I say, if I am fishing in one swim that is not producing, I can contact the booking office and if the swim that has a lot of fizzing or showing fish in it is free they will give me the all clear to move.

When I go to France and fish The Retreat, I tend to fish the same swim all the time and work on the basis that sooner or later during the session, fish are going to move in.

I need to get to know this lake before I find my favourite swim, and to be honest, that isn't always the one with showing fish in it!

Your right sometimes a swim that fish are showing in isn't always the swim there feeding but quite often it is. Feeding and showing often go hand in hand. Also it depends when they show a fish showing at first light is much more significant than a fish showing at 2 o'clock in the afternoon but id still pay attention to that 2 o'clock show and possibly mover paticularly if I havnt seen anything show in the swim I'm fishing.

Personally I couldon't sit there thinking they will come along at some point I want my hook bait in front of fish as much as possible so I stay mobile that doesnt nessarilly mean I move for the sake of it but I won't hesitate to move multiple times day or night if I feel that's what I need to do. Sometimes you got to play the long game and sit it out but for me that's the exception rather than the rule. My bivvy is jst a base I work from I'm there to fish a lake not just a peg sometimes you have to move the base to be able to fish the lake more effectivly. The most important parts of my angling is done with the rods out the water in summer paticularly my rods spend more time out the water than they do in. as I'm looking for opertunities around the lake and these opertunities could be any ware you just got to find them.

Usually there more than one fish but some of the lakes I fish don't have a dozen fish in them. Even a lake that has say 30 or 40 they are usually only in groups four or five it all depends on stock and time of year. Often the biggest fish can be loners or maybe have a side kick but there not alaways in with other fish. Sometimes big fish are territorial and often get caught in one or two areas which is ware the long game bait and wait can pay but in my experience that is the exception. quite often big carp can be nomadic loners which can make them very difficult to catch which is when moving onto a single show can make dreams come true.

It's all relative to the lake and the fish in it, but for me haveing a favorite peg that you caught off weeks previosly will often lead inconsistancy paticually on lower stock big fish waters.

Hoping to hear back soon so that I can go for a session on Wednesday.

Weather forecast looks reasonable at the moment.

Bailiff advised that "nutty/creamy" baits do well so ordered a kilo of Urban's "Nutcracker" shelfies, which get very good reviews everywhere. Had to go for shelfies as my little freezer is full up at the mo!

Will bang three rods out, one on the Nutcracker, one on Xcels K.S.C. and the other with a Manilla wafter onboard.

He also mentioned it's a bit silty in places so just need to tie a few slightly longer rigs to counter that.

Will let you know how it goes.

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Edited by smufter

I can't quote all of your posts, but that looks like a good place to be fishing, I hope you enjoy it.

You say about fish you can see, and others you can't.

On Suffolk Water Park, if you can find Carrot, you have found probably 10-15 of the other carp in the Main Lake. He being a bright orange koi is the obvious one, compared to the darker fish around him.

Hoping to hear back soon so that I can go for a session on Wednesday.

Weather forecast looks reasonable at the moment.

Oh well. Haven't heard anything back yet so a session today is out of the question.

Shame that, 'cos the weather forecast is perfect, hardly any wind, no rain and a little bit milder than it has been of late.

Getting itchy feet now, want to get out there and give it a bash!!

Well keep us up-to date mate looks good just hopping not to cold for Ya

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Tight lines smufter hope you have a good session, I'll look forward to reading the report [emoji14][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will let you know how I get on lads, and take some piccies of my swim.... shame it's Autumn now and a lot of the trees will have lost their leaves but hey ho!

Nutcracker and Manilla at the ready.

Well, turned out to be a lovely day weather wise. Reasonable temps, and hardly a breathe of wind.

Got to the lake just after 6.30 and made my way to my allocated swim, which funnily enough is called "1st" and is in the left hand corner of the lake. 

The one downside to fishing a beautiful, tree surrounded water at this time of year quickly became apparent...... dead leaves. Millions of them floating on the surface, and unfortunately what little wind there was was blowing them all into my corner.

Add that to the fact that the water level is pretty low at the moment, meant I couldn't get my rod tips down low enough to sink my line properly I knew it was going to be frustrating.

Steve, the bailiff, appeared about an hour later for a chat, and to see how I was getting on. He too commented on the amount of dead leaves on the lake, apologising but saying there was not a lot that could be done really, which I fully understood. Shame, because the swims to the right of me were completely clear! I'll make sure when I book next week I don't get put in the "1st" swim.... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Pretty uneventful session, which was cut short by me receiving a text from work saying that I had to go in to do some paperwork as it was the last day of the month and they had to get their figures sorted.

So I packed up around 1.30pm and headed home.

Like a say, a frustrating introduction to my new carping "home"... there were a couple of other guys fishing while I was there. One of them had been on an overnighter in the next swim and hadn't had a bleep during his 24 hours.

Another guy turned up just after me, we introduced ourselves and had a brief chat. He informed me that the swim I was in was notoriously hard, and not often fished out of choice, so I'm already learning!!

I had one "knock" which came to nothing (liner??) but it was the leaves that were the biggest annoyance. How come so many leaves can get attached to a line no thicker than 0.35mm where it enters the water???

It was nice to be out in such glorious weather bearing in mind it's now November. Going to book up for next Wednesday but will definitely avoid the "1st swim".

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Edited by smufter