Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
snowmanstevo

Boredom

I find reeling in and having a walk round during the day time, trying to create an opportunity helps. Even ringing a mate to have a chat about the lake or general fishing chat. Being somewhere for 2/3/4 days can be hard when you are staring at the same bit of water. I tend to catch up on sleep and make the most of the tranquility.

So,on longer sessions,when you know your camping and not catching you don't get bored.

Nope. But I enjoyou going camping as well. The vast majority of holidays that the wife and I go on are camping (With a lake on the campsites :wink: ).

I love the great outdoors and fishing adds to the experience rather than makes it, if that makes sense.

Edited by dalthegooner

If you fish hard big fish waters on regular basis there are times of boredom anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselvs. Majority of anglers have some sort of entertainment weather it be a radio a fone, tablet what ever if like some people try to imply that when there fishing there at one with nature and dont get bored then they wouldn't need a radio, tablet or what ever it's human nature if there nothing happening sitting in silence at one with nature as great but you will suffer from boredom at some point. Majority of anglers may do 4 nites a month on slightly easier lake fair enough boredom might not set in. if your fishing hard on regular basis on hard venues boredom is part of it sometimes. If that wasnt the case big hard low stock lakes would be full of anglers. I read an interview with terry hearn and they asked him how he gets threw long periods of inactivity and he said I bore it out. that doesnt mean he doesn't love fishing and what it's all about but big fish angling on low stock lakes with out doubt involves periods of boredom.

Dead right mate, and that is why , observation, prebaiting and loads of pre fishing work give you a better chance, aint no way i would turn up on one of these venues without lowering the odds, sheer madness, it has to be done, if you dont the odd blank becomes the norm and you move on, happened to me a couple of times when i just had to admit, this is not for me, above my ability or patience, that you have to decide for yourself, but i admire the guys that stick at it, true hunters.

Due to living a long way from the lakes I fish pre baiting not always an option. I don't beleive pre baiting is essential it's an advantage one that sometimes I'd love tof have. But I wouldn't not fish a water because I couldnt pre bait. You just have to get your location right and stay mobile. If I blank it just makes more determined to succeed.

Do you ever get bored on a longer session when you are struggling and conditions are against you or the water isn't fishing well. I do,I must admit.

I always take a couple of books, and despite for ages saying I hated them, a few downloaded programmes from BBC on the iPad, as well as the silly childish games like Minion Rush, Killshot, Angry Birds to kill the time.

This year the water hasn't fished at all well, so I have lost count of the books I have read.

I have still spent numerous hours watching the water trying to work out where the fish are.

I don't get bored, I actually enjoy the time with nature, watching robin, or coots and tufties who may give an idea where the fish are. Earlier in the year I was watching some coots diving on my bait when a couple came shooting to the surface in a hurry looking flustered. How coots can look flustered I don't know but they do. They stopped diving and just stayed on top over the bait. Within minutes I had a take, albeit 'only' a double.

I also probably drink far too much coffee, and in the evening blackcurrant and blueberry or strawberry and cranberry herbal teas so I can still sleep.

Bored? Nah.....

For me the only time boredom could become a risk is when you are 100% confident you're on the fish, you're baited correctly and presented well..... in which case you're ridiculously excited because you're expecting a fish!

Otherwise you know there's work to be done; finding carp, finding spots, baiting, modifying rigs to suit the substrate etc.... just watching - looking for that sign or occurrence that will tell you how to catch them.

It's very rarely I sit back and think there's nothing else I can do to catch a carp, things have to look pretty much perfect for me to think like that, in which case I can't sit still through excitement!

If it aint happening in one swim you need to get up and make something happen. Amazing what a move can do sometimes - it's like starting a new session.

madness to sit on a blank, you get that gut feeling within 2 hours or less and thats why i prebait multiple spots.

Agree.

We've all been guilty of sitting it out when you know deep down that it aint gonna happen where you are (I guess that might be when boredom hits you). It is madness - come the end of your blank session you have to go home knowing full well you could have done more, horrible feeling that is.