Home made boillies

Hi I am getting into make my own boillies as I like to put my own flavours in them. The problem is when I have boiled them They don't feel like boillies as if you brought them from the shop they feel squidgy and rubbery also I find it hard to get them looking nice and round when I role them on my rolling table I was wounding if it's something to do with my mix also they just smell like flour once iv air dryed them.if any one as has the same problem or any suggestions that will help me please let me know thank you

The problem is when I have boiled them They don't feel like boillies as if you brought them from the shop they feel squidgy and rubbery also I find it hard to get them looking nice and round when I role them on my rolling table

I need to know what you are using in your base mix or weather you are using a shop brought one  :?:

also they just smell like flour once iv air dryed them.if any one as has the same problem

Can be a number of variables in this 1 as well mate, what flavour/flavour combination are you using and at what levels, just because you can't smell it doesn't mean the fish can't, also your boiling time can effect the above as well.

Hi hutch I have tried all kinds of mixes but the one I'm using at the moment is just the simplest one. Flour and semolina flour. and chilli powder iv tried all kinds of different levels when making the base mix but I feel that it ends up just like a ball of flower. I boil them for 60 seconds. I feel that maybe I'm going wrong with the base mix as like I said before when iv got a play doe consistency it just looks and smells like a big ball of flower

Hi hutch I have tried all kinds of mixes but the one I'm using at the moment is just the simplest one. Flour and semolina flour. and chilli powder iv tried all kinds of different levels when making the base mix but I feel that it ends up just like a ball of flower. I boil them for 60 seconds. I feel that maybe I'm going wrong with the base mix as like I said before when iv got a play doe consistency it just looks and smells like a big ball of flower

Probably because you are only using flour? 

there is a sticky in the bait section with some suggested basemixes and a quick google search will throw up plenty more. I think yonny is right. this boilie you've made has little nutritional value and wont be a long term food source for the fish. Basemixes are not extortionate to purchase either, then you just add your liquids and any other powders (chilli powder) to it and roll them. 

The lads have already handed you some pointers, without you posting specific quantities it is very hard to work out where you are going wrong, like how much in grams of chilli are you using to the amount of soya and semolina, im guessing the squidgy part is being caused by the flour/semolina absorbing to much water which in turn is pushing out the flavour when boiling but again I would need to know which flavour as in company that produce it and the flavour itself and what quantity you are adding to a quantity of powder.

As a suggestion please take on board what some of the others have said and read the provided links as the bait you are using is very difficult for the fish to digest

I'm using semolina mixed with soya flour

What you have made is basically just a squidgy ball of carbohydrate, and it has probably taught you that you need a bit more substance in your bait.

Actually a good way to start understanding what you are doing!

Probably the most simple ingredient to add to make a reasonable bait, (summer), would be White fishmeal.

Hi mate,

With half-and-half soya and semolina you basically have the old fashioned 50:50 mix. They can be notoriously difficult to roll and can be either sticky or dry, depending on the quality and age of the soya flour. De-fatted soya is 'iffy', so use full fat.

Although nutritionally poor, it will still catch carp if used correctly and in the right context. It is a pure attractor bait so should be attractive.

Try this:

500g soya

500g semolina

10g icing sugar

5ml vanilla extract (from supermarket)

10g allspice powder

10ml olive oil

Pinch of salt and pepper