What kind of bait for this time of year

I wouldn't usually change my bait during winter, but having said that I don't tend to fish a lot during the winter months anyway, certainly not overnight sessions. I pick my days carefully, 

But the lake I have just joined is a predominantly "Cell" type water (fishmeals catch, but "nutty" baits tend to do better), so I have just stocked up with a few kilo's of various baits of this type (Manilla and Urban Nutcracker) and will try them out over the coming months.

I'm a big fan of birdfood based baits all year round but especially in winter. They are so easily digestible, are very porous so leak attractors well, are a great source of energy that carp crave in cold water and break down relatively quickly if left uneaten.

Having Said all that, this winter I will be using a milk protein based bait for the first time in years. It has some bird food too as well as a peanut derived protein, but is mostly milk protein.

Couple of lads on my water don't work... not retired just don't work. They prebait Wednesday and get down Friday dinner,before all us workers manage to get down. I await there arrival with great anticipation seeing as I've booked the day off and I'm on my way down there in half hr