Winter fruits

Ginger9991

So with Winter coming, i have seen alot of articles mentioning the change over to fruity baits, My last and only winter campaign sucked, I was on my ever reliable king prawn or maggots but the water seemed to fish really bad, not much was out all winter.... I would just like to add some fruity baits to my arsenal, What do people recommend?

Think its more a case of what you believe works in the colder temps, the good fruit flavours are based on similar chemicals and solvent bases that react well in colder water (good pineapple and strawberry flavours (probably tutti fruity as well) both contain a chemical that is attractive to the fish (cant remember what it is called it has been mentioned in a post before but i can't find it :oops: ).

Spicy flavours also do well in the winter, so its horses for courses really.

Locating the fish is the tricky part 

Big Fish Mix with cranberry Nutrafruit!

Some great fruit flavours I've used in the past are: Nutrabaits cranberry, guava, pineapple and tutti. John Baker plum. Richworth plum royale. Rod Hutchinson mulberry Florentine to name a few.

If you can find any of these in local tackle shop, buy them!

If it's a fruity readymade boilie you want then try Nashbait tutti fruity, I love their tutti and rate over all others including the old Richworth ones.

Cheers guys, Yeah finding the fish is a pain on this venue in winter as there is ALWAYS a strong wind on the lake as its pretty coastal. I just think if im sitting on the bank blanking i would be sitting there thinking "fruit based bait would catch me one".... so if i have some with me i can at least try!

I am not a believer in the theory of fruity or spicy in winter anymore, and I even think it has been mismatched or misquoted, and probably is not as it was originally said anyway.

I think it was fruity for summer, and spicy for winter, although as said I honestly don't know...

Cranberry with fishmeals was a great bait, in summer, and at the time fishmeals as they were in winter were a no no.

Tutti Frutti on Harefield was a big one at the time, and I think that was a Summer/Autumn hit.

The bright yellow various companies Pineapple has been a big favourite in Winter or Summer, and many a potential blank saver for goodness knows how many anglers.

Spicy as a winter bait, Trigga was the summer version, but Trigga Ice was the 'winterised' version, with spice oleo resins, yet I was catching on the original Trigga as it stood all the way through.

I think a number of flavours like Squid and Octopus as well as the obvious Ultraspice and the like are based on spice esters or whatever they are.

On Thwaite I used to carry a number of pots of pop-ups, Crab, Scopex, Pineapple and N-Butyric, Squid and Octopus, Coconut Cream, Green Zing for winter and spring use and almost every session it was a case of finding one that worked as it seemed that the fish wanted a different bait each time, or one would only last for a few days before they switched off.

Thwaite was actually my 'test' water for a number of years, so I knew the water quite well. One winter I did a week session, for the first two days I was catching on the hi-attract pop-ups, then on day three, the fish switched over to the food bait, which until then, I had not been pre-baiting on the water. From then on every fish was caught on the Smokey Mackeral, despite keeping one rod on the various pop-ups and changing them regularly.

Come to that, some of my best baits fished all the way through was cinnamon essential oil, with Peach Nutrafruit on The Biollix, or Trigga with Liver Elite and Sweet Cajouser.

Strawberry is my favourite fruit flavour for fishing.

And strangely, probably one of the least used!

Many anglers ignore strawberry as they think it will already have been used.

I can remember Tim Paisley was using guava on Waveney as part of his food bait, but a couple of anglers who worked at the Lowestoft Food and Fishery Research centre had already used it the previous summer, so the Waveney fish were already wary of it in any bait!

Cheers guys, Yeah finding the fish is a pain on this venue in winter as there is ALWAYS a strong wind on the lake as its pretty coastal. I just think if im sitting on the bank blanking i would be sitting there thinking "fruit based bait would catch me one".... so if i have some with me i can at least try!

The wind will help you to find the fish. According to the well respected carp angler Jim Gibbinson, the carp in wild, windswept coastal pits tend to follow or move on the wind even more so than other types of water. Especially a new, fresh wind. He fished pretty much exclusively on windy coastal pits around Kent for years.

The chapters in his books "big water carp" and "gravel pit carp" on wind and weather are awesome reading. Well worth getting a second hand copy from Amazon.

So, fish the bank that has waves crashing on it!

Plenty of anglers continue to use their chosen fishmeal through winter. Either it's suited to all year round or they get it made in a winterised version, lower oil content.

Me, I'm using a test bait, an Underused fruit flavour on a nut mix. I'll probably stick with it all year round as I love it.

Its more important to find the fish and keep them feeding. A few handfuls in the right places is enough to keep them searching and boost your chances of catching through winter. As said, keep in touch with the water and if you start catching you should notice a regular time period. Make sure you fish in this period and forget about the rest of the day/night.

I used to use nutrabaits strawberry cream and bergamot in winter with decent results, but as has been said winter is all about location and time of day. I've found that the fish will favour certain depths according to the weather and i will always try and find a swim that has deep water with a good depth change feature such as a big bar or plateau so giving the fish the opportunity to stay close to structure and cover and be at a depth that suits the fish. I will then fish a rod on top then half way down a slope/drop off and one on the deck. In previous winters I've always found some fish around these types of features and a regular sprinkling of bait in the general will be picked up at certain times depending on conditions. Also time of day is critical in my opinion.so many times I know I've been on fish with nothing then from 5-7 in the morning maybe 2 or 3 fish then nothing till the next morning. Also maybe consider what area they are caught 1st in spring and again in my opinion you won't be too far from fish in the colder months as they don't wake up and swim around the lake looking for food straight off rather looking for food where they have been laid up all winter.

my best winter was with strawberry and bergamot oil in a milk protein with added addit digest, an absolute flier that bait was. but like has already been said the bait you've used all year will stand you in good stead throughout winter. i do always carry a tub of double strength tutti's for single hookbait fishing and they have pulled the fish out of nowhere when a blank seemed on the cards