Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ghost hunter

First frosts

Had a look outside today & saw the first frost of the winter. Car was completely covered as was the grass.

Ive been covertly pre baiting a swim on my lake at night for the last 3 days. Didnt want anyone to see me & so the seagulls dont nick it in flight.

Will the frost & temp drop turn them off completely ? Its hard enough to get them to feed at the best of times. Pressure is around 1013-1015hpa.

Or should I carry on prebaiting & see on friday. Temps are meant to drop more over the weekend (brum) & may feel like -5.

If it was me I would keep it going in. One frost does not mean the water temp suddenly drops to near freezing, the temp may drop a degree or two which could knock the fish back a little but it certainly would not be putting me off from fishing.

Five or six years ago I was building an extension which was very close to a lake, that had a reputaion of totally shutting up shop from October/November. It is by no means an easy water in summer but winter was a ball breaker but I had always said I would do a proper winter campain on there, as I was convinced that if the fish saw a bit of bait though the winter, instead of nothing they may keep on the move a little more.

I started the job in the first week of October and each day I would find time to walk the lake. It is only a small lake of around 2 acres,  and I had fished it a bit in the summer months over the years, so knew a fair bit about the topography of the bottom and areas where fish slipped up from.

Each Monday, Wednesday and Friday I would put 2 kilo's of boilie in, one kilo would get split over three or four of the known spots and the other kilo I spread over an area about the size of a tennis court at the deep silty end of the lake.

I carried this on for, four weeks, in that time I had not seen a carp angler on the water and the weather had turned considerably from the warm, sunny, start of October, to several hard frosts leading into November.

On the fourth Friday my gear was loaded into the van ready to go straight from the job to the lake to fish the weekend. The weather that day did not fill me with confidense, cold and heavy rain all day following on from 2 or 3 hard frosts earlier in the week.

At the end of work I dragged my labourer up to the lake with me to help set up, on the promise, I would get him a takeaway. After a quick walk and seeing no obvious signs of fish I plumped for the large baited area in the deep, silty end of the lake.

Everything was set up in about half an hour, three rods all fishing the spot. Just as I sat down and was thinking of ordering the takeaway one of the rods screams off resulting in a 23lb mirror, and that was the start of a weekend that ended up with 6 fish, 5 of which were 20's. Six fish in a weekend is unheard of on this water in the summer yet alone late autum/Winter.

The next four weekends all produced good results from all the baited spots, before on the 6th week, the lake froze and stayed frozen pretty much till Febuary.

In the five and a half weekends I ended up with 19 fish, which included most of the big, wanted fish, with the exception of one.

I am sure if the lake had not frozen for so long, I would have continued to catch all winter as long as the bait keep going in. As the fish showed no signs of slowing up even as the weather turned bitter for a couple of weeks before the lake eventually froze.

I wasn't too thrilled to have to de-ice my van windscreen this morning but I think the first frost only spurs them to feed a bit more heavily as they know they are running out of time before winter with a slight drop in water temp. 

I have a session planned for thursday night and at that specific location its due 8 degrees through the night, 4 degrees tonight and 3 degrees friday night then dropping to -1 on Sunday morning!! Hopefully it gets warmer and doesnt kill the fishing off.

Cheers for the advice all.

Ive had a quick look on the swim ive prebaited & saw the two carp I normally see patrolling mid water. I spoke to an old lady that I normally say hello to & she lives opposite the pool she said she will keep an eye on the swim. So ill know if anyone has fished it while im not there :) :)

Gonna carry on pre baiting til friday then fish it. Gonna try & see if I can get the mrs to have the weekend of work so I can fish it fri-mon if not itll be 7am fri til 6am sat. It'll be a good test for all the stuff I brought for night fishing too if I can fish the whole weekend.

Good luck mate, hope it works for ya i a,m going on the 19th nov just hoping not to cold

Cheers bud

If I dont catch nothing it wont be want of trying. But I wont give up til I catch my first double from there. Good luck on your session too bud.

May the carp gods be in a giving mood this month.

Keep it going in! Nothing to lose, keep the fish munching on fresh bait all winter, if they find the food to have the energy to keep swimming around then it'll go in your favour mate

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Its good to hear that lol

Im gonna give it another hour or so & go chuck some bait in.

I reckon if you keep it going in they will eventually see it as a free meal, a food source. As soon as the food dries up they slow down, not wanting to waste energy. Thats what im doing, same spot, trickle trickle trickle. Depth of lake the same all over and i know they frequent there so....

Haven't been nowhere near a frost here yet.

Lowest temp was this morning,7 degrees when I left at 6,30 this morning.

Leaves have just started to fall.

I'm still convinced we are at least a month behind the normal for this time of year.

Wish it was like that here, especially the leafs. They've been falling for the last few weeks & the lake bottom is covered in them. There was a widespead blanket of frost this morning. Lowest temp was -3 & theres a good chance of snow for the weekend too :(

Wish it was like that here, especially the leafs. They've been falling for the last few weeks & the lake bottom is covered in them. There was a widespead blanket of frost this morning. Lowest temp was -3 & theres a good chance of snow for the weekend too :(

Snow? Wtf! Was cold here with frost but not a forecast of snow

Cheerd carpmachine something to think about. Im going for a look today as Ive never given it any thought before as im down the other end of the pool. Plus I couldnt see much in the dark last night.

Yeah I think it was the daily mail weather report I read about the snow. Theres no frost here today but it dont feel much warmer then yesterday tbh.

I dont fish zigs very often but i normally do on all 3 if i do. Say my pond is 3.5ft deep. Have one at 3ft one at 2.5ft and one at 2ft. Principal is the same whatever lake you fish. I use bits of foam or cork. Thats it, all i know. Have caught before on zigs, more of a shock than anything! Boilie angler you see

Were On Earth Do You Live, had frost frost this morning, nearly court me out and made me late for work, good old heated windows lol