Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salokcinnodrog

2017 rod licenses

Just hope mr carp doesn't take a liking to your lead and refuse to let go [emoji13][emoji23] I believe you only need your licence if you are actually fishing ( which you are not in the description you gave) very good question though I would guess not many people will have thought about it like that

For those of you that have younger children that you enjoy taking on the bank with you I have just spotted this on the .gov.uk page

So you can take your child but if you help them in anyway you have to have a rod license for that rod  :(  :evil:

I get that though, your're not helping them to your full ability if your not fishing with them, even if that''s one rod between you. set the standards from day on, be legal..

worst than that though is if your missus goes with you as a guest (or any non fishing guest)and she or they picks the rod up while you're dealing with a call of nature,they can be done!!

I knew a EA worker quiet well years ago, through work, he told me that a line tied to a coke bottled and hand held( no rod) needed a licence , and that he'd even told guys that spod and markers need to be covered!!!( this was too the odd few that greeted him with verbal's)

He also told me about the ten minute rule??? where if you're caught with  tackle within ten minutes of perceived angling(setting up or packing down) you can be done if not licenced. 

The renewal letter they send out is ever so friendly, like i enjoy paying for nothing, yes i know they do great work with the money, but i'm just paying for a licence, this is more like road tax. the Burger van owners had it with a local council over the cost of a pitch licence, turns out a governing body can only charge the administration costs when issuing a licence, as for funding other projects, the cash needed should not come from licence sales.   

Just out of interest, for the purpose of the rod licence rules, is it "use of a rod" that requires the licence or actually angling for fish with a hook and bait??

Reason I ask is that I've never thought about it before, but my licenses live in one of my tackle boxes, but I quite often head out with a marker rod and a spod rod to work some swims for good spots/distances etc, and spod out some pre-bait. Never do I think to take my license as well. I'm not actually fishing of course, but two rods and reels, bait, clearly fishing activity. Could I get asked to prove I have a license in this situation?

i was once told by an EA jobsworth that even if you are just walking back from the tackleshop having just purchased a new rod and you happen to be strolling alongside the canal, you may be just taking a shortcut home but as you are in possession of a rod and are adjacent to a stretch of water you are classed as going equipped, and as such you need a license.

the wrong bailiff and no license = confiscation

I had to do mine on the bank earlier this week. happily fishing away, gets to lunch time and i noticed i was running out of tea bags, so off to the shops i popped. on the way back, i noticed the EA carrying out some work on a nearby river, then it dawned on me, i had not renewed my licence, so i did it online... sods didn't even come around.

I had to do mine on the bank earlier this week. happily fishing away, gets to lunch time and i noticed i was running out of tea bags, so off to the shops i popped. on the way back, i noticed the EA carrying out some work on a nearby river, then it dawned on me, i had not renewed my licence, so i did it online... sods didn't even come around.

gutted :twisted:

For the minority who flout the rules, the most common offence is fishing without a valid licence. Fishing without a valid licence could land you with a fine of up to £2,500 and a criminal record.

Coarse and Trout

Type of licence Current price New price from 1st April 2017

Full (April – March). £27 £30

Full (concessionary)

senior and disabled £18 £20

Short term 1 day £3.75 £6

Short term 8 day £10 £12

Junior (12 – 16yrs) £5 Free

3 rod licence NA – new product £45

3 rod licence (concessionary)

senior and disabled NA – new product. £30

So I save £9 but the average pleasure angler has to spend £3 extra. There will be less license money to go around by the looks of it then. I guess they are hoping more people buy a license with the changes which isn't likely. 

Glad to see a change and positive movement from the EA though.

guessing you will be going for the 3 rods then lol I have to pay an extra £3 lol 

guessing you will be going for the 3 rods then lol I have to pay an extra £3 lol 

Of course, then again I didnt mind paying £54 as I got my money's worth out of it as I fish approx 50-60 nights a year with plenty of days thrown in too. Easily looking at less than a £1 a session.

If you dont go that often then I guess the cost is more important

I had to buy a second license last week as I want to use 3 rods for carp & 1 for light float fishing. It'll just be 3 next year though I think.

Have they also changed it to a rolling year from when you buy a license ? Sure I read somewhere they where planning that too.

Yes it is

Have they also changed it to a rolling year from when you buy a license ? Sure I read somewhere they where planning that too.

As Andy states above, yep, it's going to be a rolling year.

Good idea really.

And I like the 3 rod licence.

Some guy on another forum was moaning that he'll still have to buy two licences as his lake allows him to use 4 rods.

Talk about greedy lol!

As Andy states above, yep, it's going to be a rolling year.

Good idea really.

And I like the 3 rod licence.

Some guy on another forum was moaning that he'll still have to buy two licences as his lake allows him to use 4 rods.

Talk about greedy lol!

True lol He is still only paying 15 quid per rod same as the people that buy a 2 or 3 license.

**ROD LICENCE REFORM**

Three-rod option and free junior licence for under-16 from April 2017!

Fisheries minister George Eustice has confirmed proposed changes to rod licences from April 2017, including “a full year rolling licence rather than a fixed single season; a licence for a maximum of three rods rather than the current two, and a free junior licence for anglers under the age of 16.” These will be advertised formally in the spring.

Carp-Talk editor Simon Crow said: “The vast majority of fisheries up and down the country only allow carp anglers to use a maximum of three rods. It therefore seems a waste that we need to buy two two-rod licences to cater for this. It would be so much more user-friendly if a third rod licence supplement was introduced, and I’m delighted that this long overdue reform now looks like happening.”

Lee Jackson, former world carp record holder, added: “Excellent news and not before time, too. It will be of great benefit to anglers, especially carpers, and how brilliant it is to be able to get youngsters into the sport without having to worry about a licence. Well done to the Government, the EA and the Angling Trust for applying common sense.”

So if i wait untill 1st of april to renew i can fish 3 rods on one licence about time thanx for the info

So if i wait untill 1st of april to renew i can fish 3 rods on one licence about time thanx for the info

Yes and no, it all depends on each waters rules!

My club only allows two rods and someone asked the question about the new licence and the response was basically our club our rules, the rule states "two rods only on ALL club waters" this rule will NOT be changing.

I would advise double checking for each water you fish mate just to be safe, some clubs (mine included) issue bans for anyone caught using more than two rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no, it all depends on each waters rules!

My club only allows two rods and someone asked the question about the new licence and the response was basically our club our rules, the rule states "two rods only on ALL club waters" this rule will NOT be changing.

I would advise double checking for each water you fish mate just to be safe, some clubs (mine included) issue bans for anyone caught using more than two rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i fully understand that club rules must be followed no matter how many licences you have my water allows 3 so im pretty happy about this new licence at £45 as 2 licences use to cost me £54 so even thoe prices increased ive actually made a saving :wink: