Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cloud9

old noddy returning to the fold

29 posts in this topic

wow how have things changed since I last spent the night after the elusive carp ......I've been lurking and reading through most of the new and older threads on here for a few weeks now , so thought its about time I spoke up and admitted that i'm getting addicted again .....

Its been at least 25 or more years since I last targeted carp as a single species and probably more since I fished seriously for anything else , one or two day trips out catching silver fish with the old man, before he passed away 8 years ago now was all that I had done , until a family camping trip to a local farm with a lake attached this year rekindled the flame ...roll on a couple of months I have now joined a local club, dug out some of my old gear and been out on a couple day trips, now that I'm married and have family ties (and grandchildren ) I don't think the night sessions will be allowed by the boss somehow , but a day sat on the bank will do me just fine , It feels great to be back ....

I cant believe how things have changed in those years ...you guys have it made !!!!!

look out for some stupid questions appearing in the thread by that name very soon ......

cheers Dave . 

David_Ridgers likes this

Welcome Dave, enjoy your fishing, fishing with the grandchildren and your time here :)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, you might be afraid of some of the answers though :lol:

welcome dave, looking forward to hearing any tips you may have.

mine is bug the hairy boss that much that she virtually chucks you out to go fishing, wont be long before a night is on the cards :lol:

Ghost hunter likes this

Welcome to the nut house dave !

Agreed things have changed even in 5 years.

Its now how many hours we do its tge enjoyment ..

Tight lines

Dave

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

thanks for the welcome guys , I'm not sure that bugging the boss will have the desired outcome in my case ,and to be honest my tips will be so outdated your better going off to the museum ..

dave 

thanks for the welcome guys , I'm not sure that bugging the boss will have the desired outcome in my case ,and to be honest my tips will be so outdated your better going off to the museum ..

dave

Sorry but going to disagree here just because your tips are old dose not make them no good.

Personally any tip/advice is good age has nothing to do with it. :)

Edited by David_Ridgers

dave 

you remember all those tips you had from the oldtimers?? worked didnt they?

well if you remember them we dont so spill :lol:

Welcome to the forum Dave 

Like the other have said those old tricks will probably still work as well today as the did in days gone by  8)

Also no such thing as a silly question if you don't know the answer  :)

lol ,

well here's a few of my findings

the best tip I was ever given and the most relevant , was to always enjoy what your doing , if it becomes a chore give up and go find sometime else to do with your time , but I'm sure most of you have figgered that out for yourselves .

never believe everything your told , ask questions and build up your own opinions on whatever your trying to find out . if you can,watch the way others fish your soon get an idea if  they are stringing you a line or not ....

keep things simple , the latest rig or super bait won't catch you any more fish than the simplest ones out there ..

dave

Hello Cloud 9, welcome mate......

No such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know the answer,

The most productive time to fish this time of year is often day time, but some of us like to dress like soldiers and play tents.

Good luck mate.

cyborx, David_Ridgers and welder like this

The most productive time to fish this time of year is often day time, but some of us like to dress like soldiers and play tents.

Good luck mate.

Reminds me of phill in his camo.

Big Common likes this

Good luck mate.

"Dress like soldiers and play tents". This comment alone goes a long way to explaining why I've been a member of this site for a long, long time.

I'm very fond of anything silly and this is a fine example of the genre. It's to be commended.

Big Common, I salute you.

Ian

Hello buddy, we come from the same era, 2 carp per lake and go for the Tench and hope, its a brave new world, easy peasy if you want it, the old methods still work a treat, so do the old baits, its a lot more comfortable now and the gear is top notch, you will do fine, tight lines bruv.

cloud9 likes this

Welcome to Carp.com

What worked years ago works now years later, and may possibly have been rehashed or reinvented to sell new articles in magazines.

You know that lift float method, with a bunch of maggots or worms?

Bet you could catch carp doing that...

One thing I will say is comfort now has definitely improved, I can remember a flipping awful ratchet garden lounger that flipped you out or the head end fell down at the most inopportune moment, sleeping bags that were so thin that you couldn't do more than a single freezing night, and bivvies made of lorry tarpaulins over an umbrella.

Welcome to Carp.com

What worked years ago works now years later, and may possibly have been rehashed or reinvented to sell new articles in magazines.

You know that lift float method, with a bunch of maggots or worms?

Bet you could catch carp doing that...

One thing I will say is comfort now has definitely improved, I can remember a flipping awful ratchet garden lounger that flipped you out or the head end fell down at the most inopportune moment, sleeping bags that were so thin that you couldn't do more than a single freezing night, and bivvies made of lorry tarpaulins over an umbrella.

lol,

I have loads of great memories of nights on them loungers , used to pay a fiver from argos if i remember right .... ended up in the lake one night when the foot end collapsed and i shot off the end still in me sleeping bag ....available in red or blue I think , my first bivvie was made out of something like a lorry tarp , if you rolled up the door it said bivouac in stenciled letters , if it rained it would become so heavy the brolly would bend !!! .....them were the days.

dave  

Silly questions often yield interesting answers mate :) anyway, welcome to the forum. Im new here too so we can spam silly questions together :P

X

spam!! now theres a good bait :lol:

xpl0rer likes this

Ive used it in the past but it ends up in my belly before the water lol. Same as many of the supermarket bait I use :o damn me and my hunger!

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Ive used it in the past but it ends up in my belly before the water lol. Same as many of the supermarket bait I use :o damn me and my hunger!

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Haha i know that feeling it's like one for the carp two for me belly.

Now with a ridge monkey its like i wonder if that taste nice toasted.

Edited by David_Ridgers
xpl0rer likes this

i can remember almost living on luncheon meat sandwiches on many an overnighter lol, don't think there was much left for bait by lunch time .....

one time I tried cooking beans in the tin on top of my tillie lamp, from what i remember it didnt go that well , most were welded to the tin and the rest were like napalm :roll: 

dave 

David_Ridgers likes this

the last time i used luncheon was on my local water in bolton , i did well on it , i took some to France last year , i was cutting it up for pre baiting while my wok was warm and i slipped some in with some rajah chilli n lemon powder and scoffed that much i felt sick , it was peachy !

i have problems with anything like that whilst fishing , just too tasty !

cloud9 and David_Ridgers like this

spam!! now theres a good bait :lol:

I was never that keen on eating Spam or luncheon meat. Peperami on the other hand, I would buy a pack of 10, and 9 1/2 would get munched by me

xpl0rer, spr1985 and David_Ridgers like this