Advice for fishing an unfished private lake.

A friend of mine has recently got us exclusive access to fish a pond that was stocked last over 10 years ago (we don't even know what fish exactly, we assume trout or carp) from neighbough ponds and location. When the current owner bought the property the pond was fully stocked, but he closed off public access completely and it hasnt been fished since,as the guy isnt a fisherman at all.

Has anyone fished a pond before being completely blind and in the dark on even what fish are in it, and does anyone have any advice on methods to try etc? We dont have a confirmed date we're going, but it'll likely be a full day. Preparation is key here, as I know literally nothing about the pond except that it's horrendously overgrown, and there's been splashes coming from it recently.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

X

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

As there's 2 of us we'll likely try and use different baits all round, worms, maggots, corn, bread, one float close in to the old pegs and a ledger weigh out in the depths. Might even try some lures and spinners :) I think fly would be out the question due to the overgrowth, but I think lures will yeild similar results. Would you think chumming an area would be a good idea? Or singular baits, as these fish wpudnt have seen heavily baited areas for some time, but on the other hand might make them feed readily and more than often due to not associating food with danger. I'm not sure if it'll spook them. On the river for wild trout for example you generally don't want to disturb the water, nor do you bait an area, but I dont know how somewhat wild carp will react to it, would they remember from 10-8 years ago?

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

If you are fishing it this time of year I would avoid luncheon meat. Such high levels of fat in cold water, i've seen an old boy cast out a cube in these conditions and he ended up surface fishing  :lol:  :lol:

Do as suggested but it has got colder so you might not get much activity. 

I've fished an untapped pit, but I knew there was carp in them so a bit different. We just went in with boilies and hi viz baits and my mate quickly caught two 30lb+ fish, they really got on the boilies and they hadnt seen them much in the past.

Hot sunny days are what you need and a good climbing tree. you'll see whats in there.

• 4 weeks later...