Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ToonarmyTel

Starting from scratch...

Hi all, did a bit of carp fishing a few years ago and have now decided to get back into it, been buying my gear bit by bit over the last couple of months, only the reels and some bits and pieces left to get. Really looking forward to getting back out there. Season's greetings to all!

Alright Tel.... Welcome to the forum buddy... There's plenty of advice to be had on here by everyone and for everyone. The fish are still the same as when you last tried for them, good luck mate and as mentioned, enjoy your time. Merry Christmas and New Year and all that..... :P 

Welcome to Carp.com

Reels, personally go Shimano, and I would say you don't need to go higher than the ST range if you are after Baitrunners, unless you need a spare spool, in which case go DL, and for most rods up to 2.75lb TC then 10000 size is big enough.

The difference between the two is negligible in terms of quality :wink:

If you want Big Pits then again Shimano, Beastmaster 7000 XTA with the baitrunner spool works for me.

For me there is no debate crusian, Shimano it will be. Going to buy an X-Aero but still undecided which one. I like the 6000 but Fishing Republic are selling the 10000 for 99 quid at the moment, same reel (almost) but cheaper than the 6000 so I might grab a pair of them. I'll be fishing PVA bags to an island about 65-70 yards out with Shimano Tribal Velocity rods of 3lb tc (too much?).

As Nick has given the case for Shimano maybe someone will let you know why they think you should go down the Daiwa route .

:wink:

Over the years I have owned and used a number of Shimano and Daiwa items and neither has ever let me down. But I just prefer Daiwa reels.

For me there is no debate crusian, Shimano it will be. Going to buy an X-Aero but still undecided which one. I like the 6000 but Fishing Republic are selling the 10000 for 99 quid at the moment, same reel (almost) but cheaper than the 6000 so I might grab a pair of them. I'll be fishing PVA bags to an island about 65-70 yards out with Shimano Tribal Velocity rods of 3lb tc (too much?).

Hi Tel 

I'm pleased you've decided on which brand of reel you're going for .

Sorry I can't help you on the rods as I don't do any bag work myself .

If you don't get a reply after a bit of a wait it may be best to ask the question in a separate thread like your Weigh Sling thread .

:wink:

cash.concepts, an ebay store and what looks to be a pawn shop in Romford has a trio of xte-a 10000 on ebay, listed at 240 pounds for three but it says make an offer.  That's the same kind of reel I have.  When I was shopping around I couldn't find one single bad review of these.