base mix breaking up

hey all,

i am having another attempt at making some of my own boilies again, this time i get the paste to how i like it (a smooth paste) but when rolling it it just crumbles, any ideas?

i am using

55% peanut meal

35% fishmeal

10% ground peanuts

5ml tiger nut extract

5ml tigernut oil

(2 egg mix)

cheers

this time i get the paste to how i like it (a smooth paste) but when rolling it it just crumbles, any ideas?

i am using

55% peanut meal

35% fishmeal

10% ground peanuts

5ml tiger nut extract

5ml tigernut oil

(2 egg mix)

There is nothing in this mix that is binding the dry ingredients, that is where your problem is. When the bait companies make any base mix with birdfood, fishmeal, nut or meat products, these ingredients at a push will only make up 50 - 55% of the entire base mix. The rest is made up of binding agents such as soya flour, semolina, casienates or egg albumen.

You need to do the same.

Carpio do you work on 16oz mixes? If so try this.....

5oz Fishmeal

4oz Soya Flour

3oz Ground Tiger Nut Meal

3oz Calcium Casienate

1oz Egg Albumen

10ml Monster Tiger Nut Liquid (Dynamite Baits)

3ml Peanut Elite (Nutrabaits)

1ml Sweet Cajouser (Nutrabaits)

4 Large Eggs

Now im not saying that this mix will roll and boil hard at the first attempt, it may need tweaking but ive just thought this up off the top of my head.

this time i get the paste to how i like it (a smooth paste) but when rolling it it just crumbles, any ideas?

i am using

55% peanut meal

35% fishmeal

10% ground peanuts

5ml tiger nut extract

5ml tigernut oil

(2 egg mix)

There is nothing in this mix that is binding the dry ingredients, that is where your problem is. When the bait companies make any base mix with birdfood, fishmeal, nut or meat products, these ingredients at a push will only make up 50 - 55% of the entire base mix. The rest is made up of binding agents such as soya flour, semolina, casienates or egg albumen.

You need to do the same.

:wink:

Incidentally the Caseinates are not be a Binder, they are another Milk Based Protein Source, offering a different Amino Acid profile. Sodium Caseinate can be used to lighten the Base mix as it is buoyant, although too much will make baits float.

You can get away with that much Fishmeal (dependant on other ingredients), but it will definitely need the Peanut Meal dropping, and maybe even removing the Ground Peanuts (why use both?).

i just wanted a good peanut smell, and having a limited budget i cant get most ingredents from the bait companys

Quite a few are available from Body Builder/Health Shops. Milk Proteins, Liver Extracts and some of the Multimino/Minamino type Liquid Foods

Mainline FosOil:

http://www.mainline-baits.com/english/oils.php

Peanut smelling, tasting Base Mix/boilies, try Bait and feed co and have a look at their Particle 42. I know it contains both Peanut and Tiger Nuts. and that it works rather well.

ok cool, also i have hear taht if you put boilies in the microwave they turn into pop ups, i ahve tryed this and tehy just sink like normal i left them in there for over 5 mins aswel!

You have to adjust the times and play with them until you get it right. Some baits will float and go with 1 Zap in the Microwave, others will take 2 zaps split into half.

If you leave them in there too long you just burn the Baits from the inside out, and it can really stink.