Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
phildalton1982

Winter carping

1. my homemade pop-ups on an adaptation of the multi rig I use (I caught two under the ice on these between xmas and new year)

2. Responsive Baits Mutiny or CSL, currently using the Mutiny with a fruity twist to it, a long forgotten winter flavour.

3. pva bag of pellet with 2 bits of fake corn on a KD rig or very low multi rig

Edited by greekskii

I would use a high attract pop up to sit over any rubbish on a multi rig size 6 hook, length around 8 inches. Corn and blended up bread on the 2nd on a size 8 hair rig with tubing on shank and a line aligner, length 6 inches. 3rd thats a hard one, would like to say maggots but never used em really. So it would have to be a solid bag loaded with liquids, with a pink coconut 12mm pop up. Soft braid, bb shot to hold it down. Bout 3 inches long. Size 8 hook

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Hi, at what temperature will carp stop feeding, will they still eat when it drops below freezing, what should l use to entice them to eat at really low temperatures or should l stay at home,

brugge

multi colour maggots presented in 3 ways

1) jester rig popped up low.

2) maggot ring with multi coloured maggots for added attraction

3) a couple snagged on the #6-8 hook and dropped into a solid bag with deads and chops, sprinkle with krill powder.

multi colour maggots presented in 3 ways

1) jester rig popped up low.

2) maggot ring with multi coloured maggots for added attraction

3) a couple snagged on the #6-8 hook and dropped into a solid bag with deads and chops, sprinkle with krill powder.

Jester rig? Elaborate please bud

Hi, at what temperature will carp stop feeding, will they still eat when it drops below freezing, what should l use to entice them to eat at really low temperatures or should l stay at home,

Forget about ambient/air temps, it's water temps that matter.

Carp will still feed in freezing conditions. The longer those conditions last, the less active they'll become and hence the less they'll eat. A few days of frost here and there, such as the conditions we're seeing now, aint enough to stop them having a munch.

In terms of what you should feed them, just take a look at the other posts.

Jester rig? Elaborate please bud

materials i use, feel free to use your own preference.

1) avid hi lite pop up in yellow orange

2) #6 mugga

3) small eyed match hook C # 16-18

4) coated hooklink of choice (ESP striptease for me)

5) tungsten putty

6) maggots.

method.

1) take 12" length of hooklink and strip back 4-5"

2) thread match hook on and tie with 4 turn grinner.

3) thread on avid hi lite pop up and pull down till small hook shank just starts to sink in.

4) thread on #6 mugga and setting pop up to suit as you normally would then tie off with a knotless knot.

5) this should leave you with about 20mm of bare braid, add putty to balance so the rig holds bottom nicely and finish off with rig ring or loop knot.

6) feed 3 or 4 maggots onto the small hook then pull thru hi lite till hook point just sinks in, this will stop the wrigglies from escaping, if tied correctly you can see that it now resembles a court jester of old ergo the name.

have fun bud :wink:

materials i use, feel free to use your own preference.

1) avid hi lite pop up in yellow orange

2) #6 mugga

3) small eyed match hook C # 16-18

4) coated hooklink of choice (ESP striptease for me)

5) tungsten putty

6) maggots.

method.

1) take 12" length of hooklink and strip back 4-5"

2) thread match hook on and tie with 4 turn grinner.

3) thread on avid hi lite pop up and pull down till small hook shank just starts to sink in.

4) thread on #6 mugga and setting pop up to suit as you normally would then tie off with a knotless knot.

5) this should leave you with about 20mm of bare braid, add putty to balance so the rig holds bottom nicely and finish off with rig ring or loop knot.

6) feed 3 or 4 maggots onto the small hook then pull thru hi lite till hook point just sinks in, this will stop the wrigglies from escaping, if tied correctly you can see that it now resembles a court jester of old ergo the name.

have fun bud :wink:

Same thing if you use pop up corn?

Same thing if you use pop up corn?

possible but must admit, never tried that one :wink:

rigs are there to put your own twist to and then you can name it yourself :lol:

you could rename that one the CORN jester :lol: :lol:

Edited by cyborx

Forget about ambient/air temps, it's water temps that matter.

Carp will still feed in freezing conditions. The longer those conditions last, the less active they'll become and hence the less they'll eat. A few days of frost here and there, such as the conditions we're seeing now, aint enough to stop them having a munch.

In terms of what you should feed them, just take a look at the other posts.

So how low a water temp. would you go please Yonny ? .

Someone on the Forum said ( I think )  that below 8C the Carp noticeably slow down .

I see that Greekskii has caught under ice , so I'm guessing that if there's water to cast into it's worth a go , especially as there are still Match boys fishing 3 times a month on my local lake - even though they're fishing for silvers , there's still bait going in .

:wink:   

My food source boilies

A high attract pop-up, and I chop and change to find what the fish want each session as it can change through the winter.

Maggots.

My rigs stay the same through summer and winter, usually a D-rig for pop-ups, and my standard line aligned, extending or sliding hair rig.

So how low a water temp. would you go please Yonny ? .

Someone on the Forum said ( I think )  that below 8C the Carp noticeably slow down .

I've always gone with 7 degrees, but I have caught carp when the water temp is less than that.

IMO if your bait is presented, you have a chance regardless of temps. Even if it's absolutely rock bottom an over-flavoured brightly coloured single can tempt that bite if it's in the right place at the right time.

A few days of frost here and there, such as the conditions we're seeing now, aint enough to stop them having a munch.

Hi Yonny

if I give you the email address of the carp in my lake, would you mind dropping them a line because I think they've not got the gist of it.

I've always gone with 7 degrees, but I have caught carp when the water temp is less than that.

IMO if your bait is presented, you have a chance regardless of temps. Even if it's absolutely rock bottom an over-flavoured brightly coloured single can tempt that bite if it's in the right place at the right time.

Thanks Yonny .

That fits in nicely  with what Kev Taylor says about finding the Carp's habitual Winter hiding place , and then find " the bite window " .

A few i normally use ...

Kent particals white popups

Richworth frozen pineapple

Red or white maggots on rings

And imatation popup sweetcorn

All good winter baits the white popups have saved me a few blanks over the years when all else fails.