Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
brugge

River Fishing

7 hours ago, gagnaccarp said:

there is a restaurant in Bergerac where there is a locally caught barbell stuffed that sure looks 20 lb + they go to over 30 lb in spain so I reckon there is a good chance they are over 20 lb in south France , I have seen one around 16 - 17 lb caught on the Dordogne ! 

Its a bit of a mystery. The guy who writes for the Charente Living magazine claimed that barbel of 10Kg (22lb) have been caught in the River Vienne but the French record is way below that and the next two biggest wouldn't raise an eyebrow on the Dearne where I used to fish. They were caught by lure anglers incidentally.  I reckoned that if there were any barbel of 10Kg or so they would have fallen to carp anglers on the bigger rivers such as the Seine, Rhone, Dordogne and Lot where the British and Dutch anglers regularly fish and as such been claimed as records.

The large barbel in Spain are I think a different strain and can grown to over 30lb in some of the dams (stillwater barbel anyone? LOL ) . There are barbel over 200lb to be caught if you fancy risking a session in the Turkey / Iraq border area.

I have fished the Lot many times and caught many of the Iberian  strain up  to around 5-6 lb , good fun on light tackle , a few of the lads I know don't talk much about the "big uns " they catch and I am sworn to secrecy !

All I will say is that im spoilt for choice as to where to fish !

I hope that you are right. It would be nice to think that there are some decent double figure barbel about. For the first five years over here I have concentrated on finding the bigger barbel. I can guarantee fish up to 6lb then it gets harder. I travel quite a lot in my job and have spent hours walking the banks of the Vienne and Charente rivers, baiting swims up, and whilst I've seen plenty of large carp I have never seen a barbel over around 8 lb. The Charente downstream of Angouleme is probably the most verdant river you could wish for. Superb water quality and plenty of limestone that promotes weed growth and in turn insect life. The chub, perch, pike and carp thrive, but the barbel seem to hit an 8lb ceiling. The water quality of the Vienne isn't as good, but there are carp to over 40lb in some stretches, and again I have only caught barbel to just over 8lb, and never seen anything bigger in the baited swims.

I have basically decided to stop fighting against the current and go with the flow this year. Hence me coming on here. River carp are the new barbel for me.

I am going down to the Dordogne river area next week for a few days. We go down there a couple of times a year in the camper van so I'll make some enquiries locally. I would have thought that if there were 20lb barbel in French rivers somebody would have posted a photo or a video online by now.

just had two nice carp this weekend at St Leonard De Noblet, ( to me anyway ) at 4.5kg and 5.2kg both taken on Decathlon ring pellets, ( hav'nt got a clue whats in them, as theres nothing wrote on the bag! ) regarding barbell here on the Vienne, just below the weir near the paper mill they are coming out at 4lb - 4-5lb at the moment, while talking to the president of the association at St. Leonard he has caught barbell well in excess of 8lbs ) Above St Leonard on the Maulde , about 2klms upstream the carp are 20 - 30 lb  and are known to be larger still at Bujaleuf but have never myself caught anything above 20lb.

I was thinking of setting up a Facebook Group for those of us who fish in and around the Limousin. Would anybody be interested in joining? If so let me have an email or Facebook address and I will get it set up. I thought it would be useful to have a place where we could share information about venues, tactics, conditions etc. I will start by putting in information about venues I know.