Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DEANO30

Back To Basics

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone just thort i would drop in and say hi ...

Its been a long time but this is the year i will be getting back into my fishing after a 3 year absence

In the time away i have moved house and have had little to no time to get the rods out.

After abit of reserch i have joined maldon angling society for 70 pound a year there is a bunch of lakes to fish 15 in total i think all gated with your own key.

But the one im interested in is just a stones throw from my house i could walk there in 15 mins

Little London reservoir ... i have done some reserch but not really found any catch reports on this lake accept one from 2012 reporting a 22lb common other than that nothing ... anyone with any info on this lake would be much appreciated.

The other lake is a 5 min drive and its called chigborough went for a walk round in the summer and all i see was alot of weed ... but i did see a few rollers in the back bay of the first lake you come to on the left.

Once again any info much appreciated.

Well thats my first post done be gentle :wink:

Welcome to the forum mate, hope you find it useful, unfortunately I don't know anything about the lakes you mentioned so can't help on that front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum mate, hope you find it useful, unfortunately I don't know anything about the lakes you mentioned so can't help on that front

Hi spr1985 thanx for the warm welcome

spr1985 likes this

Hi Deano, are you talking about Chigborough near Maldon?... If so there are quite a few waters there. They used to be owned by CEMEX but are now a mix of Syndies and a couple of day tickets. They all hold decent fish and are good for a bite even in the winter. I don't fish there myself, but a couple of lads I know fish one of the Syndicates. The fish are fairly new with a few older ones judging by their photo's. Best bet would be to go into the tackle shop on Maldon High St. To get some better details.

The other place,  Little London Res,I've not heard of mate.

Hi Deano, are you talking about Chigborough near Maldon?... If so there are quite a few waters there. They used to be owned by CEMEX but are now a mix of Syndies and a couple of day tickets. They all hold decent fish and are good for a bite even in the winter. I don't fish there myself, but a couple of lads I know fish one of the Syndicates. The fish are fairly new with a few older ones judging by their photo's. Best bet would be to go into the tackle shop on Maldon High St. To get some better details.

The other place, Little London Res,I've not heard of mate.

That pic is of little london lake from google earth i had a very intresting email from the head baliff yesterday and he has filled me in abit on some details he spent 2 seasons on there and done really well with some some nice fish to boot.

Also chigborough is a 5 min drive from me and i have walked round all the lakes during the summer and it was wall to wall thick blanket weed but one thing i did notice was a few channels in the weed ... im guessing rat runs for the carps so might be worth a shot if i can get my baits in them ... the only thing putting me off was it was rammed and tbh part of my fishing is about tranquility and there is not much to be found there esp in the warmer months.

There's a caravan park not far from Chigborough and a couple of the lakes are a bit "runsy". So they will get bust through the warmer months.

Having trouble with your link, fella. It takes me straight to your photobucket page?

There's a caravan park not far from Chigborough and a couple of the lakes are a bit "runsy". So they will get bust through the warmer months.

Having trouble with your link, fella. It takes me straight to your photobucket page?

Still not worked out how to post pics ... using andriod ... anyway of uploading straight from phone gallery ?? ... i read a sticky on posting pics but abit to technical for me ... can you copy and paste the ulr from photobucket ??

Also i went for a walk round today and to my suprise the lake was frozen solid there is about an 8ft slope all the way around the lake like the lake is raised up from the ground no signs of activity.

One thing i did notice is the google earth pic is a little outdated and some of the worn banks are now grassed over.

And lastly im gonna have to change my rigs as the lake bed is a very clear light brown not clay brown even lighter almost the same colour as the korda textured sand colour leads.

Also i went for a walk round today and to my suprise the lake was frozen solid there is about an 8ft slope all the way around the lake like the lake is raised up from the ground no signs of activity.

One thing i did notice is the google earth pic is a little outdated and some of the worn banks are now grassed over.

And lastly im gonna have to change my rigs as the lake bed is a very clear light brown not clay brown even lighter almost the same colour as the korda textured sand colour leads.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Still not worked out how to post pics ... using andriod ... anyway of uploading straight from phone gallery ?? ... i read a sticky on posting pics but abit to technical for me ... can you copy and paste the ulr from photobucket ??

I usually go into the Library section on Photo bucket, click onto the picture I want, and C and P the IMG number which shows on the right hand side of the page. I don't use it much, as photobucket is always frustratingly slow.

But it's the only host site I use for this purpose. Take it from me, If I can use it , any one can  :P 

I walked round a local lake today that was still heavily frozen, despite the mild temperatures, at around ;lunch time....There is a time line on Google Earth that can show you every image they've taken since 2004 I think.... The differences are amazing dependent on time of year and weather conditions, and are sure to show up any features on at least one of the photo's......By your description, it could be that this place is an old sand pit, there are a few in the area. There are sure to be silt and gravel spots. Keep walking it, with those high banks, once the ice has gone, you should be able to work out a few features before any weed gets up.... Looks like a nice little lake Dean.

I usually go into the Library section on Photo bucket, click onto the picture I want, and C and P the IMG number which shows on the right hand side of the page. I don't use it much, as photobucket is always frustratingly slow.

But it's the only host site I use for this purpose. Take it from me, If I can use it , any one can :P

Yes thats what i ment copy and paste the image number been ages since i used photobucket and its gone downhill like you said its so slow and i couldnt find the image number as the site has compleatly changed ... now found a way with taptalk and its alot easier and alot faster using my phone.

Thanx for the help thoe.

Big Common likes this

I walked round a local lake today that was still heavily frozen, despite the mild temperatures, at around ;lunch time....There is a time line on Google Earth that can show you every image they've taken since 2004 I think.... The differences are amazing dependent on time of year and weather conditions, and are sure to show up any features on at least one of the photo's......By your description, it could be that this place is an old sand pit, there are a few in the area. There are sure to be silt and gravel spots. Keep walking it, with those high banks, once the ice has gone, you should be able to work out a few features before any weed gets up.... Looks like a nice little lake Dean.

I will have to look into the google earth timeline :wink:

The lake is featureless from above the water ... no islands or overhanging trees or obvious looking carpy spots accept from the right hand side the margin is lined with bull rushes for about 20/30 yards along the bank.

They have died back now its winter but come spring i would think this would be one of the few spots i would put a bait i would fish the swim where they start and have my rod set so its basically vertical with the rushes so if i get a take the fish will run along the front of them or into open water rather than fishing from a swim thats across from them.

Ive seen people casting to rushes from the oppasite bank landing 2/3 ft off of them and then they get a pick up and the fish runs straight in the rushes not good.

My setup is an inline running rig that i desinged myself.

Basically i remove the plastic insert from the lead and throw it in the bin i then get a big body small eye swivel ... a rubber bead is then pushed over the swivel eye that you tie you main line to ... i then push the lead onto the bead ... the bead is no more than a few mill in lenght about the same size as a size 8 swivel eye the big body of the swivel prevents the lead going past the body of the swivel but the lead sits on the bead nicely.

I can cast this rig and 9/10 times the lead stays on the bead during the cast and i dnt end up with a 2 and half ounce flying backlead on a take the lead has never once still been attached to the bead its always free running.

I normally have my reels set half way on the drag not locked up but not free running either i have found this works well with my running rig as rather than the lead hooking the fish wich on a free running rig is impossible so i need the line to do the work i no mono has strech but i only use this setup at short ranges so the strech is minimal.

Basically im probley being done everytime i go fishing but i have 100% confidence that if i was to get cut off or a knot pull the lead will be gone and no fish will be carrying a leader around with them.

Thats not to say this or any rig is 100% safe it cannot be ... if the hooklink goes they will have the hook and where ever the hooklink failed attached still ... if the knot thats tied to the swivel from the mainline goes the fish will have the full hooklink and the swivel and finally if you are cut off the fish will have the hooklink the swivel and the mainline that could be 2,5,7ft long depending where you get cut off ... i take the lead and leader out of the equasion as i think the carp can get snagged up on the most basic rigs ... the lead and leader will just add to the chances of it happening.

Anyways we all have our own views i just thort i would share mine.

Tight lines.

I think most of us deam a rig to be safe if the fish is left with just the hooklink or part of the hooklink left attached. And isn't trailing a few feet of anything else. They can usually get rid of this at some point once the hook starts to corode and its not likely to snag on anything. The only thing about removing the inserts is on in lines , I've found, is that the surface on the inside and round the holes can be a bit rough on your line/ leader. So if you are using it in a semi fixed fashion, it can damage the line that gets puulled through on an aggressive take, which might lead to a break off.  Just my opinion mate.

salokcinnodrog likes this

I think most of us deam a rig to be safe if the fish is left with just the hooklink or part of the hooklink left attached. And isn't trailing a few feet of anything else. They can usually get rid of this at some point once the hook starts to corode and its not likely to snag on anything. The only thing about removing the inserts is on in lines , I've found, is that the surface on the inside and round the holes can be a bit rough on your line/ leader. So if you are using it in a semi fixed fashion, it can damage the line that gets puulled through on an aggressive take, which might lead to a break off. Just my opinion mate.

I no exzacly what you mean and i agree that the leads running up the line and scoring the line and i have had damage to the line in the early days of my fishing using this rig i even changed my setup at one point as i deemed it unsafe but over time technology has improved and i have found leads that are rounded off at either end and coated leaving a smooth edge either end of the lead since i have been using these leads i have had no more issues with line abrasion.

On a side note i dnt use leaders of any sort ... its just summin else for the carp to spook off and years ago you couldn't even buy leaders as they were not invented

and the fish were still getting caught.

As you also said and i agree fish can normally shed the hooklink or any line they are trailing but i still think there are instances where the are getting snagged on it just because the line being produced today is way stronger than years ago ... the end of the day id rather a fish trailing a hooklink and line than a leader with a lead still attached.

I have seen the carp remove a hook that the hooklink had broken off, leaving just the short hooklink and swivel from the break off.

Ken Townley also wrote about this in Tim Paisley's Big Carp, Tales from the Jungle I think the chapter is called.

It is a bit like a splinter in your body, in most cases it pushes back to the surface of the skin and comes out with a bit of pus.

I dislike leaders myself, preferring to use them only for distance casting as a shockleader, and I refuse to use Leadcore leaders as I don't think they are at all safe. If I need any abrasion resistance I use tubing to protect the line, but I have caught no end of fish on a naked mainline, with no damage to the fish.

My results this year using leaders, I seem to have had less fish than previous seasons on The Lagoons as well!

Fluorocarbon leaders don't necessarily make the line invisible, not when running midwater, and I honestly think that after around 40metres the line is running along the lakebed anyway, unless held up by gravel bars (or higher feature) between you and the end tackle.

It is the weight on a break-off that keeps the hook in place, or pulling it back into place, be that the lead, (fixed) or the Leadcore.

Jammed up lead clips, where the rubber hasn't come off, and the lead is still in place, and with the lead clip still attached to the hooklink swivel or quick link make that a potential death rig. All lead clip manufacturers claim it can be angler/user error that makes them unsafe, but to my mind it is not just angler fault, it is a product that does not work as intended.

If the lead clip rubber is jammed up with weed or other detritus, and the lead can't come off, then you actually want the lead clip to break free from the hooklink swivel so the weight pulling the hook in is minimal.

Years ago with semi-fixed leads I was using John Roberts beads, forced over a piece of anti tangle tubing over the hooklink swivel. The bead was small enough to jam up on the tubing, but the tubing and bead would pull free if you got broken off.

Now I use run rings for semi-fixed, or running lead set-ups. With a tight line it is semi-fixed, with a slack line it is free running.

Inline running leads may have some additional resistance over run rings with lead attached.

The run ring is also useful if a fish does get a break, the large ring will come off over most birds nests where a lead clip may get caught up.

If it is any use, on Brackens I fished a feature from Antz, a gravel bar to the left of the swim, but lost a couple of fish which swam to the left and into the near side margin snags. I moved to another swim, fishing the same spot, but because the fish were running, and being pulled in an arc I didn't lose any more.

You can fish a spot, with a tight line, but the line arc and hitting it instantly pulls the fish away. However you want a line that does not stretch too much, so a line with minimal stretch may be something to think about.

I no exzacly what you mean and i agree that the leads running up the line and scoring the line and i have had damage to the line in the early days of my fishing using this rig i even changed my setup at one point as i deemed it unsafe but over time technology has improved and i have found leads that are rounded off at either end and coated leaving a smooth edge either end of the lead since i have been using these leads i have had no more issues with line abrasion.

On a side note i dnt use leaders of any sort ... its just summin else for the carp to spook off and years ago you couldn't even buy leaders as they were not invented

and the fish were still getting caught.

As you also said and i agree fish can normally shed the hooklink or any line they are trailing but i still think there are instances where the are getting snagged on it just because the line being produced today is way stronger than years ago ... the end of the day id rather a fish trailing a hooklink and line than a leader with a lead still attached.

I think most of us deam a rig to be safe if the fish is left with just the hooklink or part of the hooklink left attached. And isn't trailing a few feet of anything else. They can usually get rid of this at some point once the hook starts to corode and its not likely to snag on anything. The only thing about removing the inserts is on in lines , I've found, is that the surface on the inside and round the holes can be a bit rough on your line/ leader. So if you are using it in a semi fixed fashion, it can damage the line that gets puulled through on an aggressive take, which might lead to a break off.  Just my opinion mate.

Big Common likes this

I have seen the carp remove a hook that the hooklink had broken off, leaving just the short hooklink and swivel from the break off.

Ken Townley also wrote about this in Tim Paisley's Big Carp, Tales from the Jungle I think the chapter is called.

It is a bit like a splinter in your body, in most cases it pushes back to the surface of the skin and comes out with a bit of pus.

I dislike leaders myself, preferring to use them only for distance casting as a shockleader, and I refuse to use Leadcore leaders as I don't think they are at all safe. If I need any abrasion resistance I use tubing to protect the line, but I have caught no end of fish on a naked mainline, with no damage to the fish.

My results this year using leaders, I seem to have had less fish than previous seasons on The Lagoons as well!

Fluorocarbon leaders don't necessarily make the line invisible, not when running midwater, and I honestly think that after around 40metres the line is running along the lakebed anyway, unless held up by gravel bars (or higher feature) between you and the end tackle.

It is the weight on a break-off that keeps the hook in place, or pulling it back into place, be that the lead, (fixed) or the Leadcore.

Jammed up lead clips, where the rubber hasn't come off, and the lead is still in place, and with the lead clip still attached to the hooklink swivel or quick link make that a potential death rig. All lead clip manufacturers claim it can be angler/user error that makes them unsafe, but to my mind it is not just angler fault, it is a product that does not work as intended.

If the lead clip rubber is jammed up with weed or other detritus, and the lead can't come off, then you actually want the lead clip to break free from the hooklink swivel so the weight pulling the hook in is minimal.

Years ago with semi-fixed leads I was using John Roberts beads, forced over a piece of anti tangle tubing over the hooklink swivel. The bead was small enough to jam up on the tubing, but the tubing and bead would pull free if you got broken off.

Now I use run rings for semi-fixed, or running lead set-ups. With a tight line it is semi-fixed, with a slack line it is free running.

Inline running leads may have some additional resistance over run rings with lead attached.

The run ring is also useful if a fish does get a break, the large ring will come off over most birds nests where a lead clip may get caught up.

If it is any use, on Brackens I fished a feature from Antz, a gravel bar to the left of the swim, but lost a couple of fish which swam to the left and into the near side margin snags. I moved to another swim, fishing the same spot, but because the fish were running, and being pulled in an arc I didn't lose any more.

You can fish a spot, with a tight line, but the line arc and hitting it instantly pulls the fish away. However you want a line that does not stretch too much, so a line with minimal stretch may be something to think about.

Nice info we all have different ways of fishing and for the most part on here its nice to see alot of people have rig saftey high on there list of prioritys.

If only the companys that produce these rigs would incorparate the ideas of the everyday fishermen that use there rigs year after year and then we end up adapting there rigs to actually be as safer than when they came out the packet.

If for some reason the lakebed does not allow me to use my rig i normall switch to a lead clip system ... i normally tie the lead to the lead clip with pva string and use no tail rubber so the lead will fall off on the take or during the fight.

The problems i see with the lead clip are

A. The tail rubbers are too tight

B. The Tail rubbers are to long

C. The Tail rubbers are not soft enuff made of a plastic or coated rubber.

D. The plastic section that the lead slips onto comes in many patters the worst i see it the ribbed type where the shaft that the rubber slides over is ribbed not smooth i have no idea why they make them like that all that does is make the tail rubber harder to eject from it.

I believe that to the un-educated angler starting out that if they picked this up in the tackle shop and then took it to the lake and started putting it together that when they got to the point of putting the tail rubber on the ribbed section it would drive them into a false sense of jamming the tail rubber right on as the the ribbed section would tell anyone its there to grip and hold.

E. The plastic section that the lead slides over is too thick 9/10 basic off the shelf leads come with a size 8 swivel the plastic section its to wide for the swivel to easily slide over and along them becoming jammed on.

If they where thinner and made out of a more brittle plastic then they would have no jamming issues and if a fish did get snagged up the lead could snap the brittle section ... it would require a fair bit of testing to get to the point of not snapping on the cast but under a certain amout of preassure it snaps i think they could be doing alot better than whats currently on the market.

F. Ill shut up now :wink:

Actually it is nice to see someone questioning the 'mainstream' view and giving their thoughts as well.

Another of my pet lead clip gripes is that you have to buy (for example) Korda swivels to fit Korda Lead clips, as swivel sizes between brands can be different, even if the Nash, Mustad, Leeda, Middy or whoever's swivel are all a size 8.

Your point about the ribbing holding the tail rubber on is a good one, the end user can easily make that assumption, it is there to hold the tail rubber in place.

Different manufacturers tail rubbers are a different softness of pliability. I can't remember on what thread I made the post on, but I commented that I changed the manufacturer I used for tail rubbers as I found the Korda ones too stiff, and went to Solar who make a softer plastic compound tail rubber, and these are not as long as Korda's, Nash or ESP's.

Another idea I pinched from Jim Gibbinson was to snip the (John Roberts) bead so the lead could be ejected. This meant that I could not give a really hard cast as the lead would get ejected on the cast, but for fishing in weed or near snags at shorter distances it worked a treat, and unless the lead did get caught up in most cases I would get the lead back on the retrieve. One thing I did notice was once the clip had ejected the lead, it would need replacing.

Nice info we all have different ways of fishing and for the most part on here its nice to see alot of people have rig saftey high on there list of prioritys.

If only the companys that produce these rigs would incorparate the ideas of the everyday fishermen that use there rigs year after year and then we end up adapting there rigs to actually be as safer than when they came out the packet.

If for some reason the lakebed does not allow me to use my rig i normall switch to a lead clip system ... i normally tie the lead to the lead clip with pva string and use no tail rubber so the lead will fall off on the take or during the fight.

The problems i see with the lead clip are

A. The tail rubbers are too tight

B. The Tail rubbers are to long

C. The Tail rubbers are not soft enuff made of a plastic or coated rubber.

D. The plastic section that the lead slips onto comes in many patters the worst i see it the ribbed type where the shaft that the rubber slides over is ribbed not smooth i have no idea why they make them like that all that does is make the tail rubber harder to eject from it.

I believe that to the un-educated angler starting out that if they picked this up in the tackle shop and then took it to the lake and started putting it together that when they got to the point of putting the tail rubber on the ribbed section it would drive them into a false sense of jamming the tail rubber right on as the the ribbed section would tell anyone its there to grip and hold.

E. The plastic section that the lead slides over is too thick 9/10 basic off the shelf leads come with a size 8 swivel the plastic section its to wide for the swivel to easily slide over and along them becoming jammed on.

If they where thinner and made out of a more brittle plastic then they would have no jamming issues and if a fish did get snagged up the lead could snap the brittle section ... it would require a fair bit of testing to get to the point of not snapping on the cast but under a certain amout of preassure it snaps i think they could be doing alot better than whats currently on the market.

F. Ill shut up now :wink:

cloud9 likes this

I also like to read other peoples views on tackle and their views on its usability , gives me things to think about the way I fish

dave   

salokcinnodrog likes this

Actually it is nice to see someone questioning the 'mainstream' view and giving their thoughts as well.

Another of my pet lead clip gripes is that you have to buy (for example) Korda swivels to fit Korda Lead clips, as swivel sizes between brands can be different, even if the Nash, Mustad, Leeda, Middy or whoever's swivel are all a size 8.

Your point about the ribbing holding the tail rubber on is a good one, the end user can easily make that assumption, it is there to hold the tail rubber in place.

Different manufacturers tail rubbers are a different softness of pliability. I can't remember on what thread I made the post on, but I commented that I changed the manufacturer I used for tail rubbers as I found the Korda ones too stiff, and went to Solar who make a softer plastic compound tail rubber, and these are not as long as Korda's, Nash or ESP's.

Another idea I pinched from Jim Gibbinson was to snip the (John Roberts) bead so the lead could be ejected. This meant that I could not give a really hard cast as the lead would get ejected on the cast, but for fishing in weed or near snags at shorter distances it worked a treat, and unless the lead did get caught up in most cases I would get the lead back on the retrieve. One thing I did notice was once the clip had ejected the lead, it would need replacing.

Yes you hit the nail on the head also one of my biggest gripes is the not only is different manafactures using different sizes but the same manafacture will also do this during different product lines ...

So say i buy an esp (doubleXX) lead clip system in january 2016 that comes with a leader , clip , tail rubber and swivel

Then say in august 2016 i go to buy another one as i have started using 2 rods and i cannot find (doubleXX) but i do find esp (tripleXXX) it also includes all the above but when it comes to testing the leader is thicker the swivel is a different size the tail rubber is longer etc etc

It comes down to one thing MONEY ... without a product thats diff from the old the company cannot make more money ... so they basically sell you the same thing re-branded with a few tweeks and call it NEW

i personally would like to see more regulation on rigs and how they are produced ... you would got back to jd for some new trainers in a size 9 when you brought a pair of size 8s 6 months ago.

I can't understand why a tackle firm hasn't bought out a lead clip with one larger rib in the clip as a guide to how far a tail rubber should be pushed on. If there is one, I haven't seen it yet. Hate it when I see that someone has absolutely rammed it on as far as possible.

I use a quick clip instead of a swivel, the smaller end can be pushed up trough the lead clip, it's good for a semi fixed rig. A piece of silicone tubing can be used as an anti tangle sleeve and a smaller piece of the same , say , 3mm can be used in place of a tail rubber, slid a little way onto the clip. Or just a bit of PVA string.

I'm thinking that depending on what size lead your using the tail rubber would need to be on further with a heaver lead to stay on during the cast , 

dave