Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Gaspal

Carp lakes around Colchester, Ipswich area

Hi guys & girls,

I'm new to this forum, so would just like to say hi, and ask the question? Can anyone recommend any nice carp lakes around the Colchester or Ipswich area, I've moved up from london to Colchester and looking for some clubs, syndicate or day ticket lakes. My parents used to live in Northampton, so I've been lucky in as much I used to fish bluebell lakes a bit, but don't really want to travel that far now. A localism lake would be great for a few overnighters and the odd evening after work, and help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Welcome to the forum Wayne. Depends on how far you want to travel really mate . Colchester Angling Preservation has half a dozen lakes all within 20miles of you, with some decent size fish. Quite a few thirties and the odd forty knocking about.

Chelmsford Angling Association, has some decent fishing, again within 20/25 miles of you.

Kelvedon Angling association, is worth a look with Silver End Pits on their books.

Maldon Angling Association has a couple of nice easy waters, if that's your thing.

Check out their websites and see what you think bud.

Colchester Angling preservation, or CAPS, is probably your best bet for localised venues. They have a real mix of waters, from runs waters, to tricky well known Lakes.

I live a few miles south of Colchester, and these are the main clubs for me.

Bayeswater day ticket is not too far for you, 25 miles away.....

..... I haven't mentioned anything north of Colchester as I don't really fish the area. But quite a few lads from that area fish on a C.A.P.S  ticket. which tells me that there isn't loads to go at in that area, could be wrong.

Once you join a club, you'll get chatting to a few people and get to know what's about.

Snags tackle shop in Colchester and Wass tackle in Marks Tey will put you onto the fishing in you area.

One of the forum moderators, Nick, can tell you more about Ipswich area clubs than me.

Good luck with your search mate

Edited by Big Common

Welcome to carp.com.

North of Colchester?

GAPS, waters are around Ipswich, Causeway Lakes, one big carp above 30, very weedy. Alderson Lakes, two carp high 20, maybe 30lb. Both overfilled with anglers, as are Suffolk Water Park or Hintlesham at £20+ a night. SWP you can be penned in, and 'locked' into your swim, no good if the fish are at the other end! Although numbers of 30lb fish does draw anglers and too many numpties.

Guess what...

I travel well over to the Essex Hertfordshire border area despite living a maximum of 15minutes away from all of the lakes above.

Lee Valley for me :wink:

Hello BC 

Hasn't Snags shut ? .

:wink:

They could well be, I took for granted that they were still about. I had quite a lay off until July last year and lost touch with things. I have used Wass fairly recently, so they are definitely still in operation. There's also an AD in Stanway that I went in last week. I'm sure some of the lads there could point you in the right direction. :P 

Pretty sure Snags is no more.

I drove past the Whitehall and Hythe area a couple of weeks ago and where Snags was did not look like a tackle shop.

I wrote some of this years ago, there was a pretty comprehensive list on this thread

http://www.carp.com/topic/673-suffolk-venues-help-and-suggestions/

Since then though, FMS are no more, so I think Thwaite has gone day ticket, around 15miles up the A140. Not sure what fish are in there now though.

For good waters, to me, it seems Suffolk is a black hole, and otters have taken their toll on a lot of lakes, although GAPS did try to address that on Alderson at Needham Market, although at the cost of upsetting older members (like me), with moving stock from lake to lake without mandate.

A Pit at Barham, I will not comment on the lake, but I just have one word: wrong'uns!