Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DEANO30

The Day i got sucked into fishing.

20 posts in this topic

It all started out when i was 9 years old and watching an episode of john wilson in a boat with a snapped rod holding both pieces together trying to land a huge catfish while being pulled downstream by it ... the battle was epic and i just new i needed to be doing that.

2 weeks later after turning my dads ears into ashes i had the basic gear and no idea all i new is i wanted to go fishing.

A few more weeks later and i had arrived at my first 8 hour session on the river lea my dad sorted the rod and cast me into the river i was fishing :)

A few mins later i was into the biggest tangle i had ever seen in my life the float was throu the top eye and the hook in my chair and the reel was being strangled to withing an inch of its life but i was stubbon and i new one day i would get there.

Fast Forward 20 years ... Yes its 2017

Now im 30 and after 3 years away i fill like that 9 year old boy all over again but this time im prepared.

Now i no its not everyones cup of tea but i myself go into a trance like state when i see them lips about to take my surface bait.

For thoes few secounds that seem like hours with the sun burning my head and sweat dripping down my face and everything else in life is put to one side and its me v them.

Yes from roach and pearch to tench and bream i stumbled across my first river monster aged 10 i banked my first ever 6 lb common to me it was massive a fish of dreams and how did i catch it ... chum mixer a basic off the shelf bait that anyone can pick up.

Since that day surface fishing for carp became an addiction and i have been to many lakes,ponds and rivers all across essex in pursuit of monsters.

My setup is an esp mk2 floater rod with 10 or 12lb line straight throu to a size 10 hook ... no controller (EVER).

My bait is pedegree chum mixer standard size.

Lay them out on a flat tray boil kettle pour hot water over them untill they are just about floating ... leave for 1 hour ... transfer to bait bin seal up and allow to got cold overnight.

Now when im at the lake i never use a controller ... if you setup the same and prepare the bait right they should be little bouncy balls of rubber but still stiff on the inside abit like a dime bar

If you hook the bait and cast right with the wind behind you you can hit 40 yards if the fish are beyond that range dnt bother fishing for them they are that far out for a reason a controller will only spook them more and anything over 40 yards you will be watching the controller not the bait.

This Year i have my target and if from what i experienced a few years back i hope no one has noticed it and mabey a very local and very popular day ticket water that 9/10 would not even bother fishing because of its reputation will be on here with a fish of a lifetime.

Big Common, DEANO30, cyborx and 2 others like this

Thanks for that post Deano , it reminds me what I've been missing from my fishing .

I always used to  stalk Carp just like you , with sitting down and fishing stationary ( with a float ledger )  as a back up method .

Due to having to change waters I haven't stalked for too long , and you've awakened a sleeping desire in me .

Thanks .

:wink:

Thanks for that post Deano , it reminds me what I've been missing from my fishing .

I always used to stalk Carp just like you , with sitting down and fishing stationary ( with a float ledger ) as a back up method .

Due to having to change waters I haven't stalked for too long , and you've awakened a sleeping desire in me .

Thanks .

:wink:

Me personally i like being on the move gives me a chance to catch fish i may not have been able to on the day if for instance they were holed up in a certain area that was a few degrees warmer or had a rich natural food source you no that they can spend weeks in one part of the lake and not move.

I do fish on the bottom now and then ... i start off every session with the basic tackle i need and stalk it .. if i find them and after an hour or two i have had no luck but i no the fish are there i will go back to the van and grab the rest of my kit and move in.

This has worked very well for me in the past and i reckon it adds atleast 25% more banked fish than if i just setup and put my baits out on spots.

Im glad to see that others enjoy this way of fishing for a big un ... best wishes for the new season ... tight lines fella.

crusian likes this

Lay them out on a flat tray boil kettle pour hot water over them untill they are just about floating ... leave for 1 hour ... transfer to bait bin seal up and allow to got cold overnight.

another way to add an edge is to drop a jello cube into a pint of boiling water and then pour that over your mixers.

follow your own instructions from there on, they will be just like little rubber balls and cast better too, then theres the added attraction of the jello flavour :lol:

another way to add an edge is to drop a jello cube into a pint of boiling water and then pour that over your mixers.

follow your own instructions from there on, they will be just like little rubber balls and cast better too, then theres the added attraction of the jello flavour :lol:

Ill take note and will make a side dish for them and see how they perform the added weight might give me a few extra yards.

Most of my fishing is done using simple setups and rigs and simple baits ... i try not to get involved with the next best thing ... i find keeping it simple works and has done for many people over many years.

i could be blowing my own trumpet here as a few times i have ventured into the unknown and brought things i never needed or used that much and have done a major baiting campain using the (bait they are on) at the time.

The results where a 3 month blank ... my blank ended the same day i went back to my basic rigs and baits ... from that day i keep it simple ... try not to overthink the situation and just do what i do and 9/10 times the bites come.

I no for a fact that season the go to bait cost me fish ... not saying it dont work as i have seen it work on other venues and some of my mates have been hauling using that method ... each to his own.

Thanx for the recipe ... ill try not to eat them ")

cyborx likes this

I must admit that when ever i have surfaced fished , i have fished with Floating crust very rearly do i use mixers , i guess its because thats the way i fished as a kid .

I must admit that when ever i have surfaced fished , i have fished with Floating crust very rearly do i use mixers , i guess its because thats the way i fished as a kid .

I prefer mixers over crust ... you can cast further and easier with them , dont come off the hook ... and you can pull them in and out the water without having to re-bait everytime ... also i find when using crust the birds seem to notice alot sooner ... but as you said you been fishing that way since you were a kid and if thats what you like and prefer then do be it.

Now when im at the lake i never use a controller ... if you setup the same and prepare the bait right they should be little bouncy balls of rubber but still stiff on the inside abit like a dime bar

If you hook the bait and cast right with the wind behind you you can hit 40 yards if the fish are beyond that range dnt bother fishing for them they are that far out for a reason a controller will only spook them more and anything over 40 yards you will be watching the controller not the bait.

hi deano , 

once soaked for an hour , are you taking them out the water or sicking the lot in the bait box ? 

I love catching off the top , but have always struggled with mixers 

dave 

Edited by cloud9

hi deano ,

once soaked for an hour , are you taking them out the water or sicking the lot in the bait box ?

I love catching off the top , but have always struggled with mixers

dave

Hi dave my guide is as follows

Spread them out on a flat tray something with an edge on it to hold water basically you want them butted up against eachother so the tray is covered.

Pour water from the kettle over them untill they are just about floating in the tray ... leave them to sit untill they swell and become jammed together ... you will no when they are ready as they will become a pale colour and be quite squishy.

Now move them around and drain off any excess water ... then lay them flat again on the tray and just let them sit for a good 30 mins outside in the air.

I then put them straight into my bait bucket and seal the lid and bring the bucket indoors and allow them to warm in the bucket.

By the time you get to the bank and open the bucket they will be little balls of rubber.

I normally use 1 biscuit to a size 10 standard pattern eyed drennan hook ... put the hook point in the middle and twist the hook towards you all you should see is the hook eye and the line coming out of the biscuit.

Also i have noticed on a sunny day if you leave a few on a tray in the sun the outer will get a crusty skin on it and they will stay on the hook even better ... but they soon swell up again after a good 5 mins in the water.

I have caught fish everywhere off the top on these ... years ago i had the biggest fish in the lake at the time on these an unknown fish that was thort to be one of a few stocked years earlier that had grown on ... it was hooked in top lip and when i went to remove the hook the skirt was still present ... the bailiff at the time said it was the first time he had laid eyes on the fish and side it was more than likely the first time it had ever been banked.

That day got me thinking is there fish out there that almost feed entirely off the top or in the upper layers as the water was fished by mainly ledger anglers.

Thats a whole story on its own :wink:

Hope the info helps.

Tight lines Dean.

cyborx and cloud9 like this

cheers dean , I'll give it a go , I normally use crust on the top but I always find that once dipped there is a 1.5 second time window of casting time , before the crust becomes to soft and lands at the required distance without the hook !!!

dave  

The Day Draws Closer

So its been a few weeks and i have been collecting a few different bits and bobs and getting everything ready for my first day in over 3 years.

New rigs ... new bait ... new water ... its going to be one hell of a learning curve so much has changed in the time away and i fill carp fishing has moved on so much in 3 years its almost left me behind.

Chod rig ive never even heard of it before ... wraps they sell them down dark alleys dont they ?? spomb are we now blowing them out the water ??

Well ill try anything just to get my head around its concept and how it works so yes im now armed with a spomb and some wraps and a rig that looks like it was stolen out of stephen hawkings bedroom so if you see me trying my wraps out and casting spombs into the water 50 yards past that strange looking thing on the bottom i would like to apologise now for anything that may happen.

Thats all for now i will keep this updated so check in from time to time as pics ... videos and im sure some great storys will be coming soon.

Dean.

just think how much its changed in the twenty years , since I last seriously fished , all I can remember is a very simple hair rig , fished running or fixed leads , float and free lined , boilies were around , but most of the baits were bread , worm , cheese , trout pellet paste , maggots , pva was just starting to creep in , but im sure it was just string not bags . most rods were 10 or 11 ft and you fished with an open bail arm with the line in a clip watching your monkey climber !!

dave    

buzzbomb and DEANO30 like this

So today i got home from work and found my club membership card in the post.

Its now 2 hours later and im back from my walk up the lane to the little lake.

I took my marker rod and about 2kg of bait ... found that the lake is about 6ft all over and pretty much flat from bank to bank ... the bottom is pretty silty as its surrounded by trees i did managed to find a clear spot around 40 yards out around 5ft by 5ft i dropped around half a kilo on this spot.

The most interesting spot is some bull rushes that run along one side of the far bank they look pretty battered this time of year but about half way between them the bank goes in 3ft and is about 3ft long almost like a giant bit a chunk out the bank when the reeds grow you wouldnt no it was there spot is now primed with half a kilo aswell.

So i would call that the start of my season ... i will go back and check the spots sunday evening and top up if need be and then again during the week and if all goes well i mabey doing my first session this friday.

The River Lea , Dad and The Boat Yard Common.

I have touched on this river in my blog as my birthplace of fishing introduced to me by my dad , we spent many hours walking the long reaches of its banks hoping to catch a glimpse of a carp.

My dad was the kind that would fish everywhere and anywhere and he enjoyed walking around places in the middle of knowhere mainly with me in tow to give mother a breather.

The day in question i want to talk about is the time i see the what i named her the boat yard common.

My dad was on one of his usual weekend strolls with me once again in tow ... he had decided to take a stroll upto Dobbs weir where we had fished quite a few times in the past if you no the place there is a pub called the fish and eels situated right on the river.

It was on a walk along the river situated on the far bank from the pub that i saw what only can be described as a thing of beauty.

About half way along this strech of river you will come across an old iron bridge (has since been replaced by a wooden one) this bridge went over an old boat docking yard that come off the river i would say its a 50 by 50 yard square and was dissused.

Me and dad arrived there and just stood on the bridge looking down and into the old boating yard for a good few mins when out of knowhere a big carp shadow appeared in front of us in the boat yard crusing the surface.

Now this bit is strange but i remember it like it happened yesterday.

As the shadow got nearer the bridge it slowed untill it was directly beneath us ... slowley flapping its peck fins it tilted its body lowering its tail into the dark green almost black murky water and then this big beautiful common raiseing its head out of the water looking right up at us standing on the bridge and it just stayed like it for a good 5 mins just gently flapping its pecks every now and then.

Its was something i will never forget and im Glad to have experienced it with my dad on the bright sunny afternoon.

Side note dont really matter but my dad still to this day estimates that fish to be in excess of 30lb i was only young and couldnt judge how big it was but it was deffo bigger than anything i had caught up untill then.

The old bout yard is not a running part of the river and its out of bounds but i do sometimes wonder does that boat yard common still live there.

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Dean 

irishangler likes this

On 25/01/2017 at 17:55, DEANO30 said:

I prefer mixers over crust ... you can cast further and easier with them , dont come off the hook ... and you can pull them in and out the water without having to re-bait everytime ... also i find when using crust the birds seem to notice alot sooner ... but as you said you been fishing that way since you were a kid and if thats what you like and prefer then do be it.

Nash bread bombs for good chunk of bread on the hook👍 🍞 

Posted (edited)

First trip out and it has resulted in my first blank in over 3 years :D.

I arrived at the lake around 6am and set up in now what i call the 1 bar swim after a led around the only feature i could find was a single raised bar about 5ft long 1ft wide and 6 inch high.

I did manage to bag a dozen roach one over the 1lb mark but the bites dried up and i think i no why.

As pictured a 6/7lb pike decided he wanted in on the action and with the feeding frenzy going on in the swim he just couldn't resist and decided he would set up shop at one point stalking the reeds to the left of my swim under my rods.

Around 10 mins later what looked like a single did a belly flop over one of my pre-baited spots and 5 mins later what looked like a nice mid double common also flopped over the same area with no action now mr pike was about i decided to up sticks and move with not so much as a liner on my other rod.

This time the roach match rod went away and out come both my carp rods.

Few mins later the traps where set ... i went with nash chod rig setups on both rods but tied my own chod hooklinks never used them before and just wanted to see what they are about personally i think they will fish better with 3 inch or more of hooklink and if i had time would of tied up some longer ones as mine where way to short for a naked chod.

The reason i say longer is better on a naked chod is mono is alot more supple than leadcore or a leader thus when the chod sinks down the mono settles deeper inbetween all the debries growing on the bottom and so does the hooklink with leadcore or a leader i would imagin the stiffness/weight would flatten and move alot of the debrie out of the way.

I could be speculating havin not tried either.

Around 2pm at the hight of the sun exposure i noticed around 10-15 carp sunning it up at the oppisite end of the lake from where i re-set up after the shows (typical) a few even backing out the water.

Now 4.30pm time to make a move as i have an appointment at the pub to have a few pints injected and with not so much as a bleep i felt the time was right just before i left i picked up my marker and leadded around in 2 smins to find nothing accept clay the pull throu a weed snag then clay then weed snag and so on no features seems to be pretty much flat out there with the odd weed clump this time of year.

So to wrap things up i fill like i have learned abit on my first trip i finally got my new reels dirty and chods well the verdict is still out untill next time tight lines.

Dean aka pacman

Sidenote ... i broke my catapult :?

20170311_143022.jpg

Edited by DEANO30

So its been a few weeks since my last post im now heading into my 8th session of the season with one 7lb scrapper to note and alot of blanks.

I did have a pb roach on double corn that measured 28cm that you guys estimated to be around 1lb 8oz so im pretty chuffed with that and makes up for the blanks.

Over the last few weeks i have been testing out this chod rig thats all the rage and for me its just not my cup of tea so have switched to the hinged stiff rig that i have much more confidence in.

Tomorrows im out again and the forecast is looking good with some low pressure and a warm sunny showery day ahead.

This evening i went down and pre-baited swim 15 with half a kilo and a can of corn and see alot of my quarry sunning it up and a really decent mid 20 with his head down in the reeds.

Also today i picked up a bag of mixers from tesco i already had a few left over in an old bag was making some up in the kitchen (shuss she was out) and i noticed something the new ones are blooming massive they have changed the size of the mixers so i hope this will now allow me to cast my freelined mixer even further.

So thats me upto date with the goings on so i wont bore you and leave it at that for now.

buzzbomb likes this

BLANKED on the carp front :D

Had i nice tinker thoe on a sinking mixer on the float rod good old scrap on 4lb line and a size 14 hook gave me the right run around at first i thort it was a carp untill it started shaking its head as they do.

First time using camera so pic is abit rubbish was really dark overcast sky so that didnt help either.

20170512_090356.jpg