Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

The market is full of boilies from 5 pound a kilo to 20 pound a kilo , top brands to no brands, is there really any difference what l pay for them, other than what go's on the hair rig?

The market is full of boilies from 5 pound a kilo to 20 pound a kilo , top brands to no brands, is there really any difference what l pay for them, other than what go's on the hair rig?

Yes!

If you bait and fish with a cheap non food source bait, the carp may learn that the boilies are providing no nutritional benefit, and avoid that particular brand or flavour bait. Effectively there is no point in just firing in a ball of semolina and cereal meal, you want to provide some other nutritional benefits, protein (for healing and growth), fats and carbohydrates (for energy).

You really want to know about the boilies, or boilie company you use, so you can be sure that the boilies are nutritious, and value for money. There are some overpriced baits on the market, and sadly some are from big name companies!

Yet equally there are also some very good cheaper baits on the market, from lesser known, or smaller bait companies.

The bait should work as it stands, it should not need soaking or glugging in anything. I do often soak my hookbaits, but considering they are wooden balls to beat the crayfish, the actual free baits are straight out of the bag, and if I can find a cray free spot so are the hookbaits.

but how do you know whether a 20 pound bag of boilies is any better than a 4 pound bag, when you car'nt believe everything that's wrote on the tin! l know certain lake owners that wont allow certain well known boilies on their lake.

but how do you know whether a 20 pound bag of boilies is any better than a 4 pound bag, when you car'nt believe everything that's wrote on the tin! l know certain lake owners that wont allow certain well known boilies on their lake.

Theres a lake i know that bans mainline boilies, is that preference or is there something we dont know??.

I think its sales, he only stocks urban!!

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Korda goo is banned on all of my club lakes.... must be a reason behind all these bans

More than likely down to the rumours of what may or may not be in it, but they don't help themselves for refusing to disclose the ingredients.

Seen people put similar stuff together using corn syrup or glucose syrup, dye and liquid foods and flavours 

17 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I just don't trust bait companies, or anything really when there's large amounts of cash involved.

I used to think that but tbh there's loads I trust nowadays. There was a time I wouldn't buy without first visiting the premises and seeing the set up but the market is so competitive now that cowboys just can't survive IMO. There's loads of established suppliers selling decent products @ 6 quid odd a kilo.

I actually ditched my bait deal last year as there's so many decent options available at good prices. I got sick of being asked to push the brand on social media. A good bait sells itself and while I don't mind swapping a couple of photos for cheap bait I simply can't be bothered to share blatant advertising material. Don't regret it one bit. With the likes of Trent, ABS (and the numerous outfits ABS supply), Baitworks, etc. etc. there's loads about at great prices. Decent proven baits from proven brands.

l have used most well known boilies over the years and have caught fish on all of them, l just don't understand the pricing policies when one year you buy a certain make boilie for one price and then the following year the same boilie is five pound cheaper per bag! are they leaving something out to cheapen them.

On 28 January 2017 at 14:34, brugge said:

You have to go with a company who is happy to list ingredients, nutritional amounts etc, and get opinions from other anglers who use them.

I know what you mean about lake owners not allowing certain baits, and some is down to they could sell their own bait in preference and some as you say can be down to bait company honesty.

Marketing can change the price; to start with they are drawing the anglers, who are buying the bait. A year later a new bait hits the market, so the bait company drops the price to the real value, not the original inflated price.

Or as we had at Gladwell's, Nash baits got so little interest this year, we had to discount The Key and 4G Squid by 40% in both frozen and shelf life versions to sell it. Why should we keep baits that aren't selling?

We want it gone as soon as... to clear freezer space, get some money back, and allow us to get something that does sell, which has been Crafty Catcher King Prawn (freezer and shelfie), and Sticky Vortex and Manilla this year.

15 hours ago, brugge said:

l just don't understand the pricing policies when one year you buy a certain make boilie for one price and then the following year the same boilie is five pound cheaper per bag! are they leaving something out to cheapen them.

It is because of the ridiculous mark up the big boys put on! When it's time to purge stocks you soon see that.

15 hours ago, Big Common said:

It's just the other sort that I don't really trust Yon, the £12, £14 £16 a kg mob that won't let on to any ingredients or let you have a walk about. 

I still trust the 15 quid mob (Sticky, Essential, CC Moore, even Mainline), it's the pricing I dislike lol...

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Marketing can change the price; to start with they are drawing the anglers, who are buying the bait. A year later a new bait hits the market, so the bait company drops the price to the real value, not the original inflated price.

Yup. They say a decent bait costs  3 quid a kilo to make if you can buy the ingredients in high enough qtys. I have zero problem paying twice that in mark up, that's about normal for most markets/products. I resent paying 400% mark up though, not cricket.

On 8 February 2017 at 16:55, Big Common said:

I know what you mean Yonny and the £6 a kg guys that are established, won't mind if you take a peak inside the factories and check out the ingredients I know a couple of these sort of bait companies and both are pretty sound. Baitworks  you mentioned are pretty good price wise with a good track record. It's just the other sort that I don't really trust Yon, the £12, £14 £16 a kg mob that won't let on to any ingredients or let you have a walk about. For the life of me I still don't know why people buy a bait, when they don't know what it's made of......... Perhaps I was a bit over cynical on my last post, as you say there are a few good guys out there.

I wonder how much bait companies are being affected by having to list ingredients?

I know that there is still some 'dishonesty' in that; if you can say the ingredient is crushed bird seed, then you are telling the truth, but not necessarily admitting it is Ground Pigeon Conditioner, or ground cereal meal could equally be ground maize.

Anglers if they have the time could quite probably make up a good bait for less now than they could 10years ago, although I admit time and equipment can be restrictive, which is where Yonny's mark up is about right.

Bait companies who sell direct to the angler can sell a bait more cheaply than a company that goes through a tackle shop.

Bait manufacturer sells to wholesaler, sells to dealer, sells to tackle shop.

Each one in the chain adds their mark-up, each pays for their carriage, each pays for electricity or storage. The sell direct bait company only pays for ingredients, manufacture, and possible storage. 

On 8 February 2017 at 14:14, Big Common said:

The only way you can be 100% sure what a bait contains, is to make your own or if you haven't got the time, to use nut/particle approach. We put an awful lot of trust in bait companies. And there is always the possibility of human error during the production, accidents happen. Batches get cocked up now and then. I just don't trust bait companies, or anything really when there's large amounts of cash involved.

A large bait firm had an upset employee, who decided 'to get his own back', this employee poured a tin of lighter fuel in a batch of base mix. How many batches did this ruin? 

Batches get cocked up:

A batch for some reason does not stir properly, it may be too dry, or wet, so extra water or base mix just gets dumped in, that is your ratios screwed, or as various people have commented on in the past, a rolling company you paid for cuts the base mix...

10 hours ago, Big Common said:

Even if the guys making it are 100% honest. It's impossible to swear that one batch is exactly the same as the last. It just depends how fussy you are I suppose. But that sort of thing screws with my head.

You are not alone :lol: