Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Reedy11

Boilie recipe advice

26 posts in this topic

Hey,

So I'm going to have a go at making boilies from scratch this season, I've rolled before using live system base mix thats ready to go and it went quite well.

I found a recipe online and added some of my own little twists to it but had a couple questions if anyone could help please?

Firstly it was going to be a sem flour/soya flour/cornmeal mix 4oz/4oz/4oz and then amongst other additives used a small bit of milk powder and eggs.

My mates just given me a huge tub of tiger nut meal (about 2kg in there) should I add it? I mean I may as well use it as it was free. If so what should I substitute if anything?

Also if you think my recipe could be improved without spending too much more deffo let me know as it's my first time rolling my own recipe.

Thanks

Jason

Depends in what regards you hold the fish in.

That mix will rely heavily on the attractors used within it, would work as a short term bait once they start wising up to it, would be a pig for them to digest and has very little solubles.

You can use the tiger nut flour anything up to 200g a kilo.

Improvements, try adding some birdfood and more than a tiny bit of milk powder and a bit of wheatgerm (or Micronised wheat apparently does a similar job)

Thanks Hutch,

This is my current recipe below, should I substitute something with the 200g tiger but flour, also for the bird seed I could do 2oz bird seed 2oz hemp seed maybe?? If so where could I add that too :):

4oz(113g) Semolina 1kg=£2.75 35p/kg

4oz Soya Flour £3.75 kg

2oz (57g) Milk Powder £1.59 340g 27p/kg

2oz (57g) Strawberry Milkshake Powder £1/300g 19p/kg

2 Large Eggs £1.50 for 6 - 50p/kg

2tsp (10g) Nijer Seed 5.99 kg £1.99/100g 20p/kg

2tsp Corn Grit £1.90 2.5kg 2p kg

25ml Strawberry Milkshake Syrup 500ml crusha! £5.99 30p/kg

25ml Supermarket Red Food Colouring £1.30/60ml 65p/kg

Makes a pretty cheap bait, I'd be happy to change things around to increase its nutritional value

Edited by Reedy11
Reedy11 likes this

Would have thought the milk shake powder and the crusha will doing similar things (although looking at there listed ingredients citric acid and the sugars are there only things i can see the carp might detect in some way) you won't need both.

Not a fan of food colouring prefer to use ingredients to create colour other than there natural colour, you could lose the milk shake powder and replace it with tiger nut flour.

You would be better looking at animal feed stores or an asian deli for good quality cheap ingredients, nijer is only part of a birdfood mix its other parts of certain bird mixes that make them good to use like the starches and egg biscuit.

You could use crushed hemp which would be better than whole seed it is also good for adding texture to the finished bait. 

Makes a pretty cheap bait, I'd be happy to change things around to increase its nutritional value 

Cheap is not always what is best for the fish, but neither is expensive, its good that you are having a go at making your own but think about what each ingredient in your mix is doing and weather it is good for the carp to eat, what its is doing for the mix and weather they can actually detect it as a food source.

thanks for your help!

So I've taken your advice and added some seeds/Hemp/CLO (crushed seed).

I've also used a more natural red which contains egg biscuit and honey, I'm trying to create a strawberry bait so red is just a preference I guess.

Here's the amended recipe - do you think there will be enough eggs now?

100g Semolina

150g Soya Flour

150g megablend red (red egg biscuit with honey)

200g Tiger nut Meal

50g crushed hemp seed

Mixed whole Bird seed (from pet store)

10ml hemp oil

2oz (57g) Milk Powder

2 Large Eggs

2tsp Corn Grit

25ml Strawberry Milkshake Syrup 500ml crusha!

Reedy11 likes this

That's starting to look better

Will probably take 4 maybe 5 large eggs that little lot or replace some of the egg with a liquid food.

Will do in thinking about adding CSL liquid to the mix do you think that would work even though I'm adding natural strawberry and honey egg biscuit?

CSL is mainly complex sugars, the active versions are better but if you are putting it in a boilie mix the boiling process deactivates it so you might as well just add a decent sugar liquid like Molasses or Betastim

Oh okay fair enough so I've ordered some CSL liquid so is it not worth adding? Shall I make a glug from it instead? 20ml CSL, 10ml strawberry and veg glycerine

There are 2 types of CSL acitve and deactivated, if its the active stuff then it is pointless putting it in the bait prior to boiling as the boiling process deactivates it but you could coat your boilies in whilst there drying and it soak into the baits, if its already deactivated or you are not bothered about the activity then you can still put it in but adding the same og molasses which is cheaper would create the same effect

Thanks mate I've checked and it's the active version so I guess coat some on the boilies when they are air drying :) thanks

You can repeat that process a couple of times bit like dosing pop ups coat them let it dry in then coat them again that way you are getting the full benefits of the liquid, if your going for a really sweet style bait molasses is cheap enough just pop 20ml of that in with the eggs as well

So I made my first kilo, learned a few things:

Next time I deffo need to screw my boilie table down as that was a nightmare

Secondly I need to order a new nozzle for my boilie gun as 16ml is too big for 16ml boilie table from googling it ahoild

be 1-2ml smaller sausage than then boilie you want to roll

finally my boilie recipe needs so amending, I had to roll the whole kilo by hand as it kept breaking apart - does this mean I neee more semolina/soya flour in the mix? Here's the recipe, next time I'm adding brewers yeast and swapping milk powder for lamlac:

200g semolina 
200g soya flour 
100g megablend red (egg biscuit)
200g tiger nut meal
100g CLO
100g milk powder 
50g crushed hemp seed
20ml hemp oil
20ml Corn Steep Liquor
Peanuts ground 30g 
Nijer seed 50g
Strawberry essence 
Red powdered dye (preference)
6 Eggs 

Its too course which is why it is breaking up, i would take out the nijer seed out there should be enough in the CLO already, I would replace the nijer with the brewers yeast (this stuff varies in quality alot so look for a good supplier, gold seal and lieber (I think) are the best ones i know about, i think BAF sell the later.

How fine ground are the peanuts we talking powdered state ?

Switching the milk powder for lamlac plus the soya, oil and the peanuts you could have a very fatty mix there, fats aren't a bad thing but as with everything needs to be in proportion.

You could drop the oil to 10ml or get rid of it as there is enough oil in the ingredients there already.

If i think of any other possibles I will let you know

Big Common likes this

Perfect thanks, how much brewers yeast would you say?

The peanuts were liquified in my mini blender so like powder.

Ive taken the Nijer seed off and reduced oils to 10ml hopefully that will help.

Should I increase semolina or is that not necessary?

Thanks 

If it breaks apart when gunned, it could be that the dough needs a bit of kneading to get rid of any air pockets in the mix. Just squash it about for a couple of minutes. The liquids might contain air if you are blitzing them, in which case let them stand for a few minutes so most of the air bubbles can release to the surface before you add it to your base mix. As Hutch says , it will probably be down to coarse ingredients. But having air trapped in the dough will also cause one or two breaking points in the sausage whilst gunning it out.

Good for you, for rolling your own mate. Sounds like it's coming along nicely...... All the best.

Good shout I'll make sure I spend more time kneeding the mix it didn't break much when making the sausages it was more when trying to roll it 

I used a 16ml nossle though so it was all squashed when trying to roll, then found it difficult to get it all to stick, I did in the end when I added some more mix and another egg.

all trial and error I guess! 

If you are having trouble getting the sausage the correct size, it might be an idea to roll barrels/dumbbells.  Cut a nozzle smaller than the table size. ie for a 16mm table, gun out 14mm or smaller sausages. That way they definitely wont be getting squashed. The smaller nozzle will mean a bit more gunning out which can be a pain. Another option is to use an18mm rolling table and gun out 15mm sausages. It's a good idea to gun out all your mix and then roll it all. The sausages will firm up a bit and are easier to roll without sticking. But be careful as some ingredients will continue to absorb the moisture and the mix might swell as a result while its waiting to be rolled. That's the beauty of doing barrels , if the sausages increase in diameter through being left a while, they are still rollable. Don't forget that your baits do not have to be perfectly round, the fish will eat them whatever the shape. A different shaped bait can be considered an edge by some.

jh92 likes this

Forgot to mention, when gunning out your mix, make sure that you are pulling the gun back at the right rate. If you pull the gun back too slow, the sausage my compress slightly and become a bit wider. Too quick and you may end up with a few cracks as you will be stretching it. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while you get the hang of it.... Good luck mate.

jh92 likes this

Thanks for your reply! I just got a new nozzle cut it to 14ml which rolled perfect dumbells (I changed the recipe as advised and they stuck much better) I then slowly made the nossle bigger with a Stanley knife until it rolled almost perfect boilies :) I haven't tried gunning out all the mix yet though so that's the next plan thanks 

Big Common likes this

Gunning and rolling the mix in one hit is a whole lot easier, just remember to roll them in order.

Hutch mentioned your mix may be too coarse, it may also have had not enough moisture or oil, makes it even more confusing:o

Rolling is always trial and error. I used to make my own, and one mix I made if I gunned it some baits would float. I had to roll the sausages with a rolling table. It meant I had a smoother outside skin, and the final rolling would produce a very nice round bait.

Reedy, here's another little tip mate. Once your baits are ready, leave one in a glass of water overnight and see how it holds up by the morning. If you find it has become really soft or even fallen apart then you will need to either change your mix a bit, or do what I do and make a 1 egg mix of hookbaits. The soft baits will be pecked away by silvers off your rig and won't stand up to being pick up by coots.

For some harder hook baits, just sieve enough base mix for a one egg mix, It's better to sieve more than you need and chuck any unused back with the rest of the base mix.

Add some powdered egg white (Tesco, Dr Oetka , 5 sachets for £1 on the baking section) . MIx it in with your egg and liquids.The more you use the harder the baits will become. Try half a sachet to begin with. If your baits are really hard and rubbery, the rubbery skin will "lock " them up a bit, and they will leak off any flavours or liquid attractors much slower. This is why some people will make their hookbaits separately. The softer freebies will break down quicker and leak off quicker, hopefully drawing a few fish in, but the harder hookbait will still be fishing properly after being out there for a while.

Remember to adjust your flavour levels for the 1 egg mix. You should produce 120 odd hookbaits from this mix, that's enough hook baits to keep you going for months. Then, because your main mixes there after are mostly for freebies, you don't have to be so critical with everything, which saves time when rolling them. After all, they are only getting chucked in as feed.

If you want the "whole" mix to be harder, then add a whole sachet to a six egg mix, this will give them a slightly firmer consistency.

I only posted this because I had some similar problems recently with a batch, so had to knock up some extra hookers.

The same principles are used when doing your pop ups, .... sieve, add popup mix, add a whole sachet of egg white powder to a single egg and hand roll them. If you use cork balls, then ditch the pop up mix and wrap the paste around the balls before boiling.

You can buy "Egg Albumin" from bait suppliers by the kilo, which is basically the same stuff, but it works out a lot cheaper with the supermarket sachets for smaller batches of hookers and pop ups. And you won't have loads of unused ingredients sitting around.

Let us know how you are getting on with them buddy, let us know when you catch .... Best off luck

swing likes this