Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Long story short.  I've been carp fishing for a lot of years, but never had a true "carp rod". I plan on ordering a couple rods in the near future but was unsure as to what TC to get.  One rod will be a 12 footer, the other a 10 footer.  I'm leaning toward a 3.25 TC on the 12, and a 3.00 TC on the 10.  Manufacturer would be Sonik.  I normally fish large lakes.  I plan on using ( for the first time) PVA bags and sticks.   Any suggestions?    Thanks

If you fishing a large water & wanting to use bags & sticks . I would personally drop the idea of the 10 ft rod & get two 12 ft ers or even two 13fters . Test curve 3.25 is probably going to suit what you want to use them for , little bit more back bone for bag & stick work .

Thanks for the quick reply and the info.  I'm 61 years old and never used a rod over 7'.  I thought I'd go 10' & 12' just in case I didn't like the 12'. But I guess once you get to 10', what's 2 more feet.  I was concerned that the 3.25TC  might be too stiff and take the fun out of playing the fish.  

1 hour ago, buzz1 said:

Thanks for the quick reply and the info.  I'm 61 years old and never used a rod over 7'.  I thought I'd go 10' & 12' just in case I didn't like the 12'. But I guess once you get to 10', what's 2 more feet.  I was concerned that the 3.25TC  might be too stiff and take the fun out of playing the fish.  

Welcome to the forum.  Sonik have a pretty good reputation, so I think you'll be ok.  I have a cheap 3lb 12' rod that's fibreglass, not a shred of graphite in it, and it's a barge pole, but my nice graphite 3 lb rods have lots of play in the tip, so it doesn't kill any of the fun and is a bit forgiving when they bolt at the capture.  If you have to deal with tight spaces, overhanging bushes etc a 10' is good, and I found when catfishing from a boat 10' is about the longest I can manage.

whats the idea behind the different Tcs and length. generally in the uk we match and balance of the tackle to suit the waters we fish, as your in the states and the waters are big id opt for the larger Tc and longer rods due to the type of work youll be doing. so without knowing your buget id be looking at a good 12-13ft  through action rods with a starting test curve of 3.50 to 3.75 with a 50 mm butt ring. ( line guide)  if the budget allows with big pit reels for the longer cast.

Tight lines 

let us no what you brought

Haven't pulled the trigger yet on the rods, but I do have another question.   Catapult or throwing stick?  Not liking what I'm hearing about the durability of a pult, but obviously much easier to carry around.  Looking to fire out boillies upwards to 75 yards.  Whichever you recommend, can you give me a decent brand and model to look for.   Don't really want to spend over $50 unless I have to.  

On 15/02/2017 at 02:43, MrToftman said:

so without knowing your buget id be looking at a good 12-13ft  through action rods with a starting test curve of 3.50 to 3.75 with a 50 mm butt ring.

Overkill imo. That's pretty much the heaviest carp rods available on the market.

a half decent 3 or 3.25 should do you in almost any situation bar extreme range work.

6 hours ago, buzz1 said:

Catapult or throwing stick?  Not liking what I'm hearing about the durability of a pult, but obviously much easier to carry around.  Looking to fire out boillies upwards to 75 yards.  Whichever you recommend, can you give me a decent brand and model to look for.   Don't really want to spend over $50 unless I have to.  

Has to be a throwing stick for 75. A pult is good up to maybe 50 but you'll kill it in no time with repeated use at that distance. The best on the market imo is the ACA carbon stick. Above your budget at 70 notes but worth it.

less than 50 quid almost all the carbon ones are the same stick with a different logo on. If you're looking for a cheap option the Korda stick is reliable.

I don't have a real fishing catapult but my old Wrist-Rocket can fire single boilies out to the weed line, and that's at least 90 yards, maybe 100.  I've had it since the '70s and had to change the surgical tubing when it got brittle and broke. They're available almost everywhere  for $10 or less.   With a fishing 'pult you get a pouch that's made to hold bait so you can shoot corn short distances, but as mentioned a throwing stick works as well.  I just checked the Big Carp Tackle catalogue and they have a pretty good selection of both.  The throwing sticks look like something that might be fun to try and replicate in the shop; I've had some success launching corn out of a 4' length of pvc pipe to carpet the bed of a river.

Im a fan of the stick for long distance  baiting, my cobra 🐍 sticks in  short and long version get bait over the  💯 yrds mark (18-20 mm bollies) when the wind not to strong. then again small stringers work to an extent along  with pva mesh bags, again depending on conditions the amount pf bait your putting out on the stringer or in the bag. them if your fishing at  range you can't  beat a boat 🚣 lol 😂    

Edited by MrToftman
type Os