Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Richard713

Tackle Shop Chat !

Just called at the tackle shop on my way home from work, for a bag of boilies for my day session tomorrow. Is it just me or are there always people in there talking absolute nonsense? 

Everytime I go upstairs to the carp section there are at least 2 or 3 people chatting through anything and everything to do with carping. "Oh you want to do this mate", "oh what about this venue?" "No you want to do this".

If only these so called experts spent half the time they do in the shop, actually fishing on the bank! 

I actually feel people could be intimidated by that kind of talk, particularly kids who we should be trying to get into our sport as much as possible. Even myself, who only started carp fishing properly last year felt a little intimidated !

One guy, who doesn't even work there, regularly has a brew while in the shop, I only call in every now and then but he's there every time giving out his expert advice. 

Just felt like a rant ...:shock:

Unless I'm desperate for something I shop online now.

1. Can always find the deals.

2. Don't have to deal with these people or people trying to extract information from me. 

3. I don't think any shop apart from the big guys ever has a good stock - don't tell me you don't have any 2oz leads or only stock 2 types of throwing stick, one for £15 and one for £80. 

i love going into my local for a cuppa and a chin wag, that's what part of it is all about to me and if i feel i can genuinely help someone whilst i'm in there i will. If someone were to ask a question about something or a particular water that i was finished with why shouldn't i give out that advice? If someone were to ask me a question and i just said no sorry can't help you i'd be seen as arrogant and unhelpful, which granted i can be at times if it's clear those people are just generally unwilling to learn for themselves.

I can see both sides of the argument, the biggest problem that I see with buying exclusively online is that you cannot have a look and fiddle with something on the internet - you just have to chance it and hope it's right.

Also, we can buy something (or want to do something) and not quite get the hang of it, this forum is full of people who can and do help, but often someone explaining it face to face with hand gestures and pointing at items on the shelf is irreplaceable - this is my biggest fear at the demise of the tackle shops; yes youtube helps massively, but someone that has been there and done it and can explain on a one to one basis whilst going step by step answering questions as you go - how can you beat that?

With regards to the gorillas (by that I mean those who are keeping out of the cold) propping up the counter; yea it can be off putting and annoying, but, it can be the same in the supermarket, butchers, pub, jumble sale, petrol station etc. - we're British and know how to queue and how to huff. The problem these days with taking our trade elsewhere should we receive bad service is that we would soon run out of places to go :evil: (I know as I tried it, and travelling 50 miles to get fuel is really daft :shock: (can you by fuel on t'internet?))

Totally agree with all the above, however it's not a new thing, it's always gone on in tackle shops. It doesn't have to be just carp anglers either, most of the time they are harmless, but it seems the more popular the tackle shop is the worse it can be, even years ago at the old Tackle Box, which was a very small shop, there was always the 'few' hanging around the counter lol.

Talking about going into shops to handle items then buying online, if we carry on pulling strokes like this there won't be any tackle shops left. I know if I want to make a large purchase I will always give the tackle shop the chance to get near the online price if they can, I prefer to buy the item in store and support the business for the future, as long as it's not too far off the online price that is.

Agreed, before the internet, there was mail order - not sure how many shops there were then compared to now, but I think that in order to exist, tackle shops need to diversify - I'm lucky that I live near a tackle shop which is also a garden centre (and they have lakes as well, although I don't fish them) they have long opening hours and are also open Sunday - the only problem is that they don't have a massive range or stock a lot of what I use - but if I'm stuck I can get anything that I need.

I work in an Animal Feed, Country Store and Tackle Shop, so I get to hear a fair amount of twaddle spoken from all sides. from horse, dog, cat and fishing conversations, although I think that from carp fishing conversations I hear the most twaddle spoken, from rigs not working to rubbish bait to 'must haves'.

Sadly we don't do cups of tea, although we do treat the fishing reps if we can, and have a good relationship with most of them.:wink:

I recently had a chap in who was asking about bits and pieces for particular rigs, and I was trying not to laugh as he was blaming his current rigs for not working, not the fact that he couldn't find the fish in the first place. This type of angler also goes through every bait going blaming that when he doesn't catch.:?

I do try to give sensible advice, to young and old, from rigs, to bait, to waters, and I am lucky that Suffolk Water Park, Hintlesham, Melton and a few other waters are fairly close and I have fished them all, and been lucky enough to have caught.

In fact on Hintlesham when it has been quite busy I have gotten off my butt and gone fish hunting and managed to catch on surface baits when bottom baits were being ignored, possibly due to the amount of lines in an area.

I am also lucky enough that I don't fish just for carp, and am able to give advice on all species, and we are the closest shop to Alton Water where the roach fishing has come back on song, even if I was aiming for bigger fish (and will do so again).

Hopefully, I don't ignore anyone, often serving or chatting with more than one customer at a time, trying to help them. 

I remember blowing my own trumpet on a thread last year about some young lads who had been totally confused by some rig and lead diagrams given them by a local water, which to me were far about basic knowledge, may not have helped put fish on the bank and meant they would have spent far more than they needed to on rig bits.

It can be difficult to get down to some online Tackle shop prices; I have seen items cheaper online than I can even buy on my work trade account, which is obviously a few quid more than the actual purchase price, so the discounts given to certain shops must be a lot higher than given to smaller shops that can't buy in as large a quantity.

Edited by salokcinnodrog
addition of link

My old tackle shop closed down in the last 18 months :(

You can find much better deals online but i would rather go to a tackle shop and spend my money there keeping these struggling tackle shops afloat the nearest one to me is over an hour away but i look forward to my visits and its all part and parcel of fishing.

When i first started out the advice i got from mervin when he owned bromages and later when he took over at bowlers was invaluble and everytime i see him we would have a good old chin wag i actually think i wouldn't be where i am today without some of the input he gave me backed up by his years of experience.

But i also agree with the op that there is alot of cods wollop being talked just ignore it its upto you what you take in and choose to ignore ... everyone has there own ideas and opinions theres no harm in that.

Dean.

I love popping in to the tackle shop for a brew. Most of the lads in there I class as mates and fish with a few of them on certain lakes. I doubt I would have got onto my special water and bailiff it if it weren't for my tackle shop and the friendships I forged in there 

If you find a deal cheaper online why not ask your local tackle shop if they can match it , im sure in a lot of cases they will ,they just make less profit but still get a sale they otherwise wouldnt have.

51 minutes ago, dayvid said:

If you find a deal cheaper online why not ask your local tackle shop if they can match it , im sure in a lot of cases they will ,they just make less profit but still get a sale they otherwise wouldnt have.

I can't always match online prices, but will go as low as I can, this may be effectively the carriage cost of the online store. So you can have it now at such and such, or have it next week at such and such plus carriage.

Add to that advice and help is free. If I have to help and show you how to build your Carp Porter out of the box...

21 hours ago, Richard713 said:

Just called at the tackle shop on my way home from work, for a bag of boilies for my day session tomorrow. Is it just me or are there always people in there talking absolute nonsense? 

Everytime I go upstairs to the carp section there are at least 2 or 3 people chatting through anything and everything to do with carping. "Oh you want to do this mate", "oh what about this venue?" "No you want to do this".

If only these so called experts spent half the time they do in the shop, actually fishing on the bank! 

I actually feel people could be intimidated by that kind of talk, particularly kids who we should be trying to get into our sport as much as possible. Even myself, who only started carp fishing properly last year felt a little intimidated !

One guy, who doesn't even work there, regularly has a brew while in the shop, I only call in every now and then but he's there every time giving out his expert advice. 

Just felt like a rant ...:shock:

this very thing is the reason that i have stopped using my 'local' shop, on numerous occasions i have been in to buy stuff and have needed to ask some specific questions about application or sum such.

now its ok to be polite and wait for joe bloggs to end his convo with the desk jockey but he never does cos he is there for the day, said jockey would rather chat to his buddy than give advice to a transient customer who was actually paying something toward his wages.

on more than one occasion i have been made to feel like the great unwashed by staff ignoring me to regular tea suppers talking over me so i reccon that if i make them feel uncomfortable then i will just not go there :wink:

plus, I HATE IGNORANT idiots!!!!

HAHAHA!! the censor has got better :lol:  it swapped i d i o t s for idiots :wink:

I only go into a tackle shop once or twice a year now if I'm going to Manitoba and need some more heavy leads for cats, and even then I probably have enough.  The carp fishing club that our local shop (there are only 2, plus the new big box stores) helped start and maintain hasn't been on for years now, but we had a lot of fun while it was going and caught a lot of nice fish.  The fellows who own the tackle shop know me and we've fished together from time to time but most of their business is selling gear for angling for other species.  Suggesting that they hand out free coffee or tea might be good for a laugh....  Nick, you should set out a kettle and some mugs and see what the boss says, maybe get a raise in pay, maybe not. :D 

From experiance every hobby/past time has places where people gather to talk absolute pony and boost ego's. Fishing has tackle shops, golf has the clubhouse/bar, football everywhere you go everyone seems to be an expert or ex pro and the list goes on.

Trust me a golf clubhouse knocks spots off a tackle shop for pony talking. It's always the higher handicapped golfers who insist of talking you though every shot of their 90+ shot round, paying perticular attention to any shot that managed to hit a green from anything over 60 yards or any drive that goes over 250 yards! A tackle shop is a doddle in comparison.

I tend to buy more in the shop then i do online, I do like getting in a few tackle shops, then again im quite lucky with the shops around me, im a regular at salokcinnodrog shop, Him and the other bloke are decent blokes and always help me out if needed. Then theres a lad at Angling Direct who i have a lot of time for, loves his fishing, I met him last year at layer whilst a bloke was taking a picture of the 30 i had out, Glen come running over with a rag, Soaked it and washed the fish down so it was clean for the picture, then stayed for a chat, just one of those guys whos so enthusiastic its unreal.

My fishing is all pretty anti social arrive at dark, Rush off at first light so its always good for me to have a good chat or listen to others chatting about fishing!