Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've been on a syndicate waiting list for a while and have just been offered a place but the lake has been hit by KHV and has lost a number of fish

from what i've read its a pretty serious virus with no cure

I'm not  sure if I should take the ticket and support the fishery or give it a wide berth

so i'm just wondering what other peoples views/advice is

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at getting out very soon for a short session. I was thinking about 1 place locally (well known runs water I haven't been to for years), but then I remembered that it had an outbreak of KHV last year. They claim to now insist on all nets mats and slings are dipped on entry and exit in Steri-7 which kill all known bacteria dead. KHV is a virus, not a bacteria. I know Steri-7 also claims to kill viruses (99.9999%), but their statement doesn't really show understanding.

I daren't spread that to any of the other fisheries I visit. Livelihoods are potentially at risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea that would be the plan big common to just fish that place 1 season and nowhere else

I can understand what people are saying about not wanting to fish somewhere that's had khv but it's a beltin lake and the owners was honest and open about fish loses and steps taken to prevent spread and if I decide it's all gone pear shaped I'll get a new landing net, sling n mat before fishing anywhere else

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dayvid said:

You may have to ask yourself why you have been offered a ticket now after waiting how ever long .

Maybe just maybe several other anglers have dropped their ticket because of the outbreak.

Don't think there's any maybe about it, personally that's all I would read in to it  . My advice would be not to join this year , I would  definitely be waiting until the summer is over to see if there are anymore outbreaks this year which is a definite risk . 

I still think your get a ticket next year so I would hang fire personally. But depending on the price & your financial situation you could just join anyway for the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a bit of a maveric and not really bothered what others think of me i would grab up the ticket and fish the syndie, once you are in you are in.

a complex near to me had an outbreak last year and they lost some good fish but they now have the all clear and they have a recovery plan in motion, the fish stocks look all good and are thriving now one year on.

the one thing that will allow me to take this route is I HAVE A COMPLETE SET OF SPARE KIT!!! including bivvy and cook sets and that would allow me to keep my newer set for angling else where, one good reason for not giving your old stuff away :wink:

 

y'know! if i wanted my smileys to revert to the written word after posting then i wouldnt go to the trouble of creating a smiley.

I WOULD JUST WRITE 'WINK' MYSELF!!!

 

Edited by cyborx
cause this stinky winky update took away my smile
Link to post
Share on other sites

KHV is apparently spreadable by wet nets, slings and unhooking mats if you go to any other fishery, although UV light does kill the virus, so leaving gear in the sun to dry is a must if you use that gear on any other water, and if you are like me, although I concentrate mostly on one lake, every now and again I do a day somewhere else just to catch a fish to remind myself what it's like.

Fish may recover from the virus, but can still be carriers, any new stocks added to surviving fish could also catch the virus, and may possibly die from it themselves.

The only way to wipe it out from my understanding  is to totally drain the lake, allow it to become fallow, totally dry, for a couple of years then refill and restock it.

 

I could not convince myself to fish the lake if I knew about any outbreak! In fact after a two of the big fish in one of my waters died I have not fished it since, even though I know it was down to deoxygenation, stress and being spawn bound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

 

Fish may recover from the virus, but can still be carriers, any new stocks added to surviving fish could also catch the virus, and may possibly die from it themselves.

The only way to wipe it out from my understanding  is to totally drain the lake, allow it to become fallow, totally dry, for a couple of years then refill and restock it.

 This is exactly what a water close to me has done. Humainly euthanized the stock, total drain down and left empty for 3 years, before re-filling and stocking.

Once KHV has been confirmed this is still the only way for a water to be declared free from KNV by DEFRA as far as I'm aware.

I'm afraid I would not go near any lake that has had a confirmed outbreak and these measures have not been taken.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...