Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dicky123

Why expensive boilies are a con.

1 hour ago, jamesmw said:

Hi there this year I decided to bite the bullet and start fishing the key bait from Nash, all I can say I have fished the same three venue for the last four years and this year so far I have had a 63 carp in a 24 hour session and a 46 carp in a 24 session so I think there are very good but we are visiting a whole new venue this weekend for a 48 hour session so see how they go there thanks for reading 

You had 63 carp in 24 hours? That's one every 25 minutes pretty much. 

Am I reading that right? Or you had a 63lb carp? 

1st post?

Maybe he was using spam.

42 minutes ago, greekskii said:

You had 63 carp in 24 hours? That's one every 25 minutes pretty much. 

Am I reading that right? Or you had a 63lb carp? 

Yeah, maffs problem, a 63 carp in a 24 hour session and a 46 carp in a 24 session; should that read 63 carp in a 24 hour session and 46 carp in a 24 hour session: in either case it means nothing, I thought that the quay was only to be used as feed, not as a hook bait as it's too soft.

Oh well, what do I know, I can't even read what someone means :evil:

1 minute ago, carpmachine said:

On some modern so called carp waters, this is highly possible, but why you would feel the need to buy such an expensive bait puzzles me, its clear that the fish will eat anything thrown in.

I know. A bag of sweetcorn would do. Doesn't really justify £12 a kilo does it. 

Even if it's the weight of carp he has had it still proves nothing. Because we know nothing of the last 4 years he fished there. Maybe he caught better on breadflake. Who knows. 

I don't think you can say a boilie is good until you've applied it over a period and seen good catch returns. It helps if you fished the same venue regularly beforehand and the only thing to have changed was bait. 

I caught 4 fish from a club lake in 3 months, which isn't bad going anyway, one was and still is the lake record to my knowledge. I had a timing issue in autumn and swapped over to another bait supplier (solar) and proceeded to blank on their bait. It was shoddy just from looking at it. I had ordered in bulk though so had to use it. Not even the tench liked it. It easier to pick out a bad boilie than it is to find a good one. Luckily what I use now is really good quality as I'm back on responsive baits (what I used to catch those fish) and I've managed to pick fish up from tricky waters on it. Just crumbling a boilie up you can see it's packed full of proper ingredients. Crumb up some other baits, the well known ones, and it's just a basic mix with added sawdust. 

21 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

On some modern so called carp waters, this is highly possible, but why you would feel the need to buy such an expensive bait puzzles me, its clear that the fish will eat anything thrown in.

I'd have got bored keep hauling them in.

And I'm blowed if I'd pay over £12.00 a kilo to get bored

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Spot on Rob, its ruddy boring.

I went fishing at a local club water after Carp, nothing doing.

So I swapped over to freelined breadflake and thought I'd nab a few Tench.

Water was gin clear and I could see some swimming around on the bottom of the lake over a sand bar.

Plopped my flake on top of them and could see it fluttering all the way down to where they were, pulled in 9 one after the other. Nothing fantastic size wise (I guess the biggest was about 5lb).

Hate to say it, I got bored after about 20 minutes and packed up and went home.

There have been plenty of other mornings where I would have been happy to just catch one!! 

Crazy.

Edited by smufter

13 hours ago, jamesmw said:

Hi there this year I decided to bite the bullet and start fishing the key bait from Nash, all I can say I have fished the same three venue for the last four years and this year so far I have had a 63 carp in a 24 hour session and a 46 carp in a 24 session so I think there are very good but we are visiting a whole new venue this weekend for a 48 hour session so see how they go there thanks for reading 

Catching 63 carp in a 24 hour session does not prove the bait is good just sounds like a very overstocked water with a fish a chuck not my kind of water but each to his own in these kind of waters anybait will work ... tbh i think you are wasting money with the key £10-12 a kilo at most tackle shops.

There are many small bait companys out there that produce bait just as good but half the price.

What about convenience buying. To those who can get £6 a kilo, have time to order and wait, have room to store 10kg plus. Yes £12 a kilo is steep, BUT for those who just need a kilo or cant afford to buy in bulk or store it £12 a kilo is the only way forward. I used to do it. I used to buy cell session packs which cost alot. 

12 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

What about convenience buying. To those who can get £6 a kilo, have time to order and wait, have room to store 10kg plus. Yes £12 a kilo is steep, BUT for those who just need a kilo or cant afford to buy in bulk or store it £12 a kilo is the only way forward. I used to do it. I used to buy cell session packs which cost alot. 

I always have bait in the freezer, before I used to always have shelflifes stored in the garage, plus plenty of other baits like pellets, sweetcorn, etc. 

If you really cant store it anywhere (I find that hard to believe) then it is what it is. Pretty sure 5kg of Dynamite baits sells for £40 nowadays in shelf life and isn't hard to store with the rest of your kit. 

See, exactly what i mean. I have a dedicated freezer now. I used to buy 5 kilo bags of shelfies. I do see your point but 12 quid aint that bad for people who can afford it. Carp fishing can be as expensive as you want it to be

6 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

What other sport do we spend £60 a weekend, plus food, fuel and bait?? Just a question

golf, going to spectate most sports, any motor sport if you participate...

to be honest I use £10-15 worth of boilie, if not less, (luckily for me thats 2-3kg), and I fish tickets that work out (as I do many nights) about £3-4 a night over the year. 

Like you said you make it as expensive as you want. 

5 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Btw, seriously not trying to sound like a snob. I was dragged up as well as anyone else. When people moan about price of things it makes me laugh. Just look at bigger picture. People need to earn a living. Thats it

too true, and it's silly to think Nash get £12 per kilo, more like £6-7 and the rest is profit for the tackle shops. What is annoying is the fact they have such buying power the ingredients per kilo will cost them less than 80p, the amount they make. They make a tidy profit as does the retailer. It's business... do you think the neon tetra you buy for your tank is expensive at £1.80? probably not, but you would when you find out it costs 2p per fish to get them to the UK and in store. same as glasses frames, those £120 pair of designer frames were in store at a cost of £1 odd (talking about a HUGE optician franchise here, no names)...

Just the way you look at it and what you know about the industry, there is earning a living and there is taking the mick out of customers. Some fools will say "the more expensive the better it must be"...as I said, FOOLS. 

Everything has a mark up. Say you are a plumber. If you charge actual parts and miniscule labour would you survive?.

Look at black friday deals! Everyone thinks its bargain day. Its actually here's what we can charge you and STILL make a profit day! Ha ha

I'm in agreement with Phil.  I always compare things like this to the cost of a pint/ bottle of wine.

the common one is moaning about the cost of fuel then buying the £1.50 500ml bottle of coke etc without a second thought.......put the coke in the car and see how far it gets you.

things are worth what people will pay for them and if people will willingly pay £12 a kg they will keep charging it simple as that 

17 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

things are worth what people will pay for them and if people will willingly pay £12 a kg they will keep charging it simple as that 

Very true - which is why the punter is their own worst enemy. If all the anglers went to the cheaper (but just as good quality) manufacturers the Mainlines and Nash's would soon drop in price.

Fishing like most things nowadays is all about brand names and people will pay more for stuff because it's got trakker or korda on it

I was after a new mug a while back and a tracker 1 was nearly 7 quid but I got 2 exactly the same for 5 quid so i would have been paying £4.50 for tracker printed on the side

And baits no different 

6 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

Fishing like most things nowadays is all about brand names and people will pay more for stuff because it's got trakker or korda on it

A year or two ago I made a decision not to buy any more carp branded clothing or luggage. It's saved me a fortune and all the gear I've bought has been ten times better than the overpriced tat I was using before.